Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamster-link

Dec 28, 2007
Hi, i am a newbie here.
will be going to get a canon D40 soon.
was wondering which kit should i get?
I will be doing alot of macro shots and i was wondering wat lens to buy?
i was also at a wide angle lens as well.
do provide me with some info
appreciated

Hi, i am a newbie here.
will be going to get a canon D40 soon.
was wondering which kit should i get?
I will be doing alot of macro shots and i was wondering wat lens to buy?
i was also at a wide angle lens as well.
do provide me with some info
appreciated

Very little info to get help.....
Info like what is your budget? any lens in mind

Shooting lots of Macro, then should invest on a macro lens.
Tamron 90mm is a good start, more budget get Cannon 100mm.
No budget problem get Cannon 180mmL.

Need a wide angle lens, then get a wide angle lens.
Toknia 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 seem ok to me (i'm considering either one now ;p)
Same here, no budget problem get Cannon lens.

get the kit lens and start from there. your preferences might change so confirm what you want to shoot before you invest in other lenses.

Suggest either the 18-55mm IS or 17-85mm IS USM to start with your 40D (not D40), as a kit lens/general walkaround. Good image quality from both lenses and good focal length coverage for a beginner.

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
i was shopping around and i got to a shop in lucky plaza selling 40D for $1555 with the basic kit and without warrenty.
its is so cheap tat i nearly bought tat, but i suspect something is amiss.
any impt qnes to ask the assistant b4 buying?

Hi,

It is all depending on your budget. Do you have a budget? Without knowing this fact, it will be quite hard for people to advise to you.

My budget is 2.5K.
may not want to spend all on the camera, and wish to get some macro lens.
i have been around asking and the prices varies alot....difference of $500!!!!
so far, i have heard good things abt the 40D, except for the size.:)

With a budget of $2,500, this is my recommendation.

Get a 2nd hand EOS 30D + EF-S 55-200mm IS + EF 100mm f2.8 Macro + Sigma 10-20mm f3.5-4.5.

I presume that you are not going into FF in the next 1-2 years, otherwise, no point buying some of the above lenses.

The difference between EOS 30D and 40D is not very vital. Are you a kind of person who is into latest technology or more inclined to photography. If you are the former, then go for EOS 40D else 30D is sufficient.

After using 400D size doesnt mean smaller the better. Big hand big cam, small hand small cam the cam should be fit your hands ergonomically or you'll feel as if a fly or mosquito by your ear.

With a budget of $2,500, this is my recommendation.

Get a 2nd hand EOS 30D + EF-S 55-200mm IS + EF 100mm f2.8 Macro + Sigma 10-20mm f3.5-4.5.

I presume that you are not going into FF in the next 1-2 years, otherwise, no point buying some of the above lenses.

The difference between EOS 30D and 40D is not very vital. Are you a kind of person who is into latest technology or more inclined to photography. If you are the former, then go for EOS 40D else 30D is sufficient.

With the above setup, it will able to last you for next couple of years for Landscape, general and Macro. Maybe just need to upgrade to external flash when budget allowed.

If you need a external flash now, you might want to get Tamron 90mm Macro instead of Cannon 100mm Macro to free some cash.

Appreciated for those comments and advise posted.
can i know wat the main difference in the kit lens type 1 and type 2 of the 40D package?
does it mean tat the more x the lens the better pics its take?

Appreciated for those comments and advise posted.
can i know wat the main difference in the kit lens type 1 and type 2 of the 40D package?
does it mean tat the more x the lens the better pics its take?

No my dear...:sweat: expensive lens will not help you to compose and press the shutter....
It's you that take better picture.

Kit lens 1 is 18-55mm and kit lens 2 is 17-85mm. The difference is that kit lens 2 cover bigger range than 1.

Thanks for all the advise.
i am really a noob at photography regarding abt lens and stuffs:(
wish to learn more from the pros here

Maybe you should just start off with 40D kit lens 2 to start off with this hobby.
Although 80% of my shooting is on nature macro photography, my advice is don't rush into buying macro lens. Lots of 2nd hand macro lens are floating in buy/sell forumn because many of them give up after trying.

Try shooting with your kit lens more and you will know where you're incline to.

i was shopping around and i got to a shop in lucky plaza selling 40D for $1555 with the basic kit and without warrenty.

I never like bashing on shops but counters at lucky plaza should be avoided.
Of course you can shop there but do be very very cautious;)

For macro get anything around 70-210 macro?

get from LORDS, go there see whether they have a not.

:)Thanks for all the advise.
i will definately read up more and will in the outing if i can make it.
cheers and happy photography

Canon 10-22mm $790, 100mm f2.8 macro $1030 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

eh eh, where the prices from? for the 100mm macro, i got quoted 797 (by email) from MS711.. at the shop, another person quote me 820

Status
Not open for further replies.