Advise needed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShuLL

Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
i'm currently using the FZ-20..is it adviseable to upgrade to S9500? DSLR is out of the question for me due to budget problem..

i find that FZ20 is limited by it's shutter speed(8s max compared to 30s in S9500), it's ISO value(400 max compared to 1600 in S9500) and F value(2.8-8.0 compared to 2.8-11.0)

so far the only 2 cons of S9500 i can find compared to the FZ20 is the constant F value thruughout 6-72mm and the batt..which in FZ20 is using Li-Ion while S9500 is using 4xAA..

please advise whether i should upgrade onot..from what i see, i need to topup around 100 bux..

ShuLL said:
i'm currently using the FZ-20..is it adviseable to upgrade to S9500? DSLR is out of the question for me due to budget problem..

i find that FZ20 is limited by it's shutter speed(8s max compared to 30s in S9500), it's ISO value(400 max compared to 1600 in S9500) and F value(2.8-8.0 compared to 2.8-11.0)

so far the only 2 cons of S9500 i can find compared to the FZ20 is the constant F value thruughout 6-72mm and the batt..which in FZ20 is using Li-Ion while S9500 is using 4xAA..

please advise whether i should upgrade onot..from what i see, i need to topup around 100 bux..

If it's only top up $100, I would not advise you to upgrade. Reason being there's a lot of features you will miss from FZ20 (guess you'd have done some comparisons already).

What are the main reasons you want from S9500? Do you need 9M pixels? If as above only, maybe can look at the S5200. Few hundred dollars more and can use it as a second camera.

is the flexiblilty in the ISO value and shutter speed that's making me gian..

but then, if i upgrade to a 300D, how much would i need to top up?

a 2nd hand 300D goes for ard $750 with kit lens.

dont upgrade la. from prosumer -> prosumer? not worth it. work around your equipment restrictions. :)

ShuLL said:
is the flexiblilty in the ISO value and shutter speed that's making me gian..
but then, if i upgrade to a 300D, how much would i need to top up?

The FinePix S9500 is a good prosumer camera. Since you are from the FZ20, you will be happy to know that images on the S9500 has much less noise, and the higher ISO are pretty much usable. The 9mp images will also allow greater flexibility for cropping and resizing, couple that with the native 10x optical zoom, you actually get more "zoom" than your 5mp 12x images.

On a side note, do your research first before you plunge into dSLR.
You will miss many "convenient" features of a non-dSLR camera.
Everyone in CS seems to think godly of dSLRs so there are rarely any mention of the shortfalls of using a dSLR after being so used to a prosumer camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.