Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike74

Aug 18, 2003
Jurong
Visit site
Can any kind brother advise me to get E1 or Canon 20D, i very trouble with what to get.:)

mike74 said:
Can any kind brother advise me to get E1 or Canon 20D, i very trouble with what to get.:)

Both cameras got pros and cons, it all depends on what you want to use the cam for? Feel of the camera is also important. E1 is weather proof and true pro cam. Where as 20D is good for action shooting and also have a long listing of lenses, cheap n expensive. 20D is not a true pro cam. My advice is do your homework before you invest your money, handle both the cams and see which one feels better in ur hands.

the main reason why I chose the E1 is because Canon prices in Singapore is VERY ex compared to the states. :( :(

dun like getting ripped off by canon singapore

Both are good cameras. I chose Olympus for its great optics at a much lower size, weight and of coz - price.

To me, lenses stay longer (better investment), as the bodies get upgraded and obsolete very fast. See just how much is the price of the body (DSLR) as compared to good lenses.

I switched from FZ-20 to DSLR to enjoy the flexibility and quality of shooting with the right lenses in different environment and occasion. I do not want dust issues to prevent me from swapping lenses. Heard lots of horror stories about cleaning sensors, so I think, the Olympus is just right for the faint-hearted me. :embrass:

With dust & weather proof Zuiko lenses (well I've got only one now - the 50mm), dust reduction system and pixel mapping function, I could be getting a very low running cost DSLR system in the long run.

Well that's my needs, what's yours?

the best advice is to handle both cameras, shoot a few test frames and try to change settings like SP, AP, white balance, flash, metering mode etc.. much as i like olympus cameras, i found it difficult to grip the E-1 and found that the handling and feel of the canon 20D fitted me better.

Thanks all kind soul to share your advised, i have large hand and i hate to carry so many lens.
i tried the E1 and i love it,but itdont had the red led when you lock the images like canon 10D.
Canon is fast in sport but i an auto guy shooter, but what attract me most of DSLR is the shutter speed.

E1 do not has a fast focus and shutter speed,but it kit lens covered wht i needs.
canon 20D + grip=2900.
E1 + grip = 3200.

how to chose?
please advised.

mike74 said:
Thanks all kind soul to share your advised, i have large hand and i hate to carry so many lens.
i tried the E1 and i love it,but itdont had the red led when you lock the images like canon 10D.
Canon is fast in sport but i an auto guy shooter, but what attract me most of DSLR is the shutter speed.

E1 do not has a fast focus and shutter speed,but it kit lens covered wht i needs.
canon 20D + grip=2900.
E1 + grip = 3200.

how to chose?
please advised.

I dunno Canon 20D + grip one. But what I know E1 + grip both are weather seal. ;)

BTW where is tomcat, we need Ur help here.

mike74 said:

canon 20D + grip=2900.
E1 + grip = 3200.

how to chose?
please advised.

I believe u are talking about the viewfinder? The E-1 has an audile beep & a green indicator @ the bottom lhs of the viewfinder.

mike74 said:

canon 20D + grip=2900.
E1 + grip = 3200.

how to chose?
please advised.

Dun FORGET to check the taiwan E1 deal as it comes with Grip and Flash for a GOOD price. I think if you want to order online, 20D is also much cheaper overseas.

I thought E1 focusing with Kit lens is VERY FAST to me. Remember you have to update the firmware to 1.4. The set you testing in Shop may be firmware 1.0 which has slow low light (indoor) focusing. is the 20D faster?

mike74,

The 20D is a great camera but needs really good lenses to make it shine. It's not that the 20D is fussy, it's just that Canon's consumer grade lenses are really not up to specs for their DSLRs, even their entry level ones like the 350D. Really good Canon lenses eg 'L' lenses, are also quite expensive and heavy and bad for your back if you need to lug them around for shooting or travelling. Even their consumer lenses are not light in any case. The consumer grade Olympus lenses are much better in optical quality and are so good that you might not need to go for the pro level lenses unless you need the pro level features. And they are really light and cheap to boot.

Unless you absolutely must have a pro camera body or have tried and can't live with the E-300, I think the E-300 is a better choice as a viable alternative to the 20D. This is especially so if you are just starting out with DSLRs as the DSLR learning curve with a pro camera might be harder than with a consumer level DSLR eg. the E-300 has many scene modes and a built-in flash which can work together in a bounce-fill mode with an external flash.

The E-300 also has 8M like the 20D and has lit focusing LED that you like. It's battery grip is cheap and good especially with the current double zoom lens bundle and this deal (ending 31 Jul 05 please note)...
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=142147

With the savings, you could have bought a FL-36 + ZD 50mm Macro or the ZD 11-22mm wideangle zoom. And your DSLR setup is complete !

U ask this qns in Olympus thread u will get olympus recommendation. If you ask in Canon thread, you will get Canon recommendation. Have u already sold on getting Olympus since you ask in this thread? Hehee.

I believe tomcat has actually tried (or own) both the cameras. It's still ok and fair for him to make such remarks.

Wat taiwan E-1 deal?

Oh, found it already.

mike74 said:

Any decision yet? I too am having this dilemma (whether to go with the E1 or E300). I already own a 10d, but it would be interesting to know which you have chosen.

My main reason for looking at either E1 or E300 is because I travel a lot and wanted a cam more suitable for travel shooting. Problem with the 10d is lenses, you really need 'L' lenses to get the best picture quality but not advise to travel with these lenses. They are both heavy and attracts unwanted attention (imagine shooting around with the 24-70 or 70-200).

As for the consumer lenses, there doesn't seem to be anything in Canon arsenal that covers the range i need (28-100+), except 3rd-party. Also, the 10d can't take EF-S lenses so I cannot use the EF-S 17-85 IS, this would have been the perfect setup to travel with.

Hence I started looking at the E300 which was small, and because of it's odd shape looks more like a P&S rather than DSLR, big plus point here. In addition the 2 lenses 14-45 & 40-150 range just perfect for travels (don't really need fast lenses for these). After started looking at the E300, i looked at the E1, which looks even nicer. Pro body, weather sealed and if bought with kit lens 14-54 2.8-3.5, this was a really good deal. Anyway have not yet decided whether it'll be the E300 or E1, but definitely one of these.

edd,

I've managed to stuff, E-300, 14-45, 40-150, 50mm macro and FL-36, all into the Sideline Shooter, which is just a waistpouch.

edd said:
Any decision yet? I too am having this dilemma (whether to go with the E1 or E300). I already own a 10d, but it would be interesting to know which you have chosen.

My main reason for looking at either E1 or E300 is because I travel a lot and wanted a cam more suitable for travel shooting. Problem with the 10d is lenses, you really need 'L' lenses to get the best picture quality but not advise to travel with these lenses. They are both heavy and attracts unwanted attention (imagine shooting around with the 24-70 or 70-200).

As for the consumer lenses, there doesn't seem to be anything in Canon arsenal that covers the range i need (28-100+), except 3rd-party. Also, the 10d can't take EF-S lenses so I cannot use the EF-S 17-85 IS, this would have been the perfect setup to travel with.

Hence I started looking at the E300 which was small, and because of it's odd shape looks more like a P&S rather than DSLR, big plus point here. In addition the 2 lenses 14-45 & 40-150 range just perfect for travels (don't really need fast lenses for these). After started looking at the E300, i looked at the E1, which looks even nicer. Pro body, weather sealed and if bought with kit lens 14-54 2.8-3.5, this was a really good deal. Anyway have not yet decided whether it'll be the E300 or E1, but definitely one of these.

Hi brother, after i tested 3 times, i find that the focus is really slow, maybe i dont know how to use it, i love the feeling of holding it but not the feeling of shooting it.

I would go for 20 D , so far i only find that the shutter sound was loud.:)

ykkok said:
Also, smaller, lighter and faster lenses, and weather proof system, = more shooting oppurtunities.

Olympus E-1 Pee proof? Ever tried rinsing DSLR under running water after it fell into mud?

Read the owner's stories here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=14415427

LOL . its a good read :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.