Advise needed on product shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

volvic

Nov 12, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
hi all, i'm a newbie here and will be doing a product shoot on some fashion assessories such as earrings and necklaces. Would like to get some advise as to the ideal set-up for such a shoot?
Currently, i have the D70 kit, a close-up filter for the kit lens, SB 600, and a 50mm f1.8. What settings should my camera use?

Thanks alot!

volvic said:
hi all, i'm a newbie here and will be doing a product shoot on some fashion assessories such as earrings and necklaces. Would like to get some advise as to the ideal set-up for such a shoot?
Currently, i have the D70 kit, a close-up filter for the kit lens, SB 600, and a 50mm f1.8. What settings should my camera use?

Thanks alot!

I wouldn't care so much about camera settings but first and foremost about the mounting of the objects, the background, and lighting. The camera end may turn out to be the smallest part.

Putty is a cheap and good option to hold small objects in place. If you want to eliminate distracting backgrounds, you can mount them on a glass table and keep the background blurred.

In all likelyhood, you may get better results by not using your flash unit. Cheap halogen bulb desktop lamps and paper/styrofoam/metal foil reflectors may come in useful. For metallic objects, one might also consider polarizer foils for the lamp and the camera.

Depth of field control is critical - so aperture priority or manual exposure modes are advantageous. Slightly longer than normal focal lengths may result in more natural looking, documentary pictures - wide angle might be interesting for "special effect" shots.

a) be mindful of reflections.
b) need a sturdy tripod.
c) shoot in raw and post processed for color accuracy

If u have the budget, go for the micro lens and get the east gear studio lighting equipement w/ light tent.

erhm...

wat about...

1) a Marcro lens
2) studio tent
3) studio lights

if u want to achieve the result u see in commercials..

alternatively...

1) borrow 1 more sb600
2) use a 50mm in reverse? or prob with close up filters
3) get acrylic sheets or those big papers for backdrops

cheers..

If you want good quality shoot, i think you really need studio lighting to help you get good result. I think there is many place you can rent a studio. You can probably rent it from SLCC. They have the necessary lightings.

btw now i do find that the normal light tent does not give a good shot of the picture.. specifically with reflective items, you might catch the linings of the tent.

there is alot of control needed for the taking of jewelry, cos there is multiple cuts, any reflection on a certain side would throw a mix array of light across the gem, esp when its not only 1 gem on the item... then its even harder to control. anyway, i am just a newbie trying to be perfect = never can take a shot... ;p

thanks guys for the advice! it's really a challenge for a newbie like me..but i guess we all have to start somewhere.
cheers :)

pm me, i got studio, i help you, but i expect big breakfast or lunch from you. ;p

mayb u can buy or borrow another lense to zoom in on those tiny-whiny stuff?
:)

u may 1 2 collect jewelry brochures for references oso.
compare those pics w/ urs as a guage? :bigeyes:

as a start, I would try to imitate what they did and read up on product presentation.

Status
Not open for further replies.