advise needed in tea ceremony ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
catchlights said:
As for Chinese custom, Man, Senior, or elderly always stand or sit at the left side, the women, junior is always on the right side. I repeat, as in where they stand or sit, is not from your viewpoint. eg. the man says to women: come, stand or sit at my right.

Eh ... think i use "pictures" to describe ...

Legends:

C = chair
M = Male
F = Female
G = Groom
B = Bride
P = Photographer

========

C C
F M

G B

P

=======

From where the photographer is standing ... groom left bride right ...
Sitting down they (VIPs) facing me so would be the opposite ... of the groom and bridge standing ... thus groom facing the female VIP and bride facing the Male VIP ... am i right ?

........................Woman
............................................Man
Photographer..........................................tea lady
............................................Bride
........................Groom

If you only want to shoot from the back of the wedding couple, by all means.

mpenza said:
From the weddings I've done/helped out, the positioning of the chairs is usually done last minute ;p

if they positioned them already for fong shui and other purpose, one way to "improve" the position would be to push back the chair nearer you, so that you can capture the person sitting behind.

btw, you can "test" back home first. ask ur family members or friends to simulate the tea ceremony. then u'll know the right angle to shoot. if u're tall, u'll need to bend down, else there could be some distortions.... better yet, grab a chair and sit while shooting :)

The 17-40F4L offers a very suitable range. Don't worry too much.

yes , please MOVE. If you cant see the whole frame .. but ask them if is it okie to move the chairs .. Looking at angle and try a few test shots , then check again as if the couples are sittign there.

catchlights said:

lolz ..... ok ok ur picture is clearer ...
thanks thanks

dennislim said:
lolz ..... ok ok ur picture is clearer ...
thanks thanks

Why not look through as many portfolios as you can of tea-ceremonies and try to picture where the photographer took it from?

by the way, you got check whether there are other things you need to cover other than the tea ceremony or not? some traditional Taoist family will have a whole sequence of ritual/practices, better check with the family if you are requested to do a complete coverage

eikin said:
by the way, you got check whether there are other things you need to cover other than the tea ceremony or not? some traditional Taoist family will have a whole sequence of ritual/practices, better check with the family if you are requested to do a complete coverage

checked already only tea ceremony = )

catchlights said:

i try this style during 1 of mine shots and its good engh to cover everyone in the thingy. some time you may want to move in for some close up and emotion shots

Sigh... on the same note, if they make joss stick offerings, would they want/prefer/allow themselves to be photographed.

Quite a number of things to look out for. If this is your first outing, and already a main photographer, I hope the couple and the family are not fussy...

dennislim said:
checked already only tea ceremony = )

sure ah? sometimes people say CEREMONY means everything associated with that on that day you know?

no need to cover the groom picking up the bride, ancestral worship (subjective), exchange of ceremonial gifts, couple's return to bride's home etc meh? :confused:

shinken said:
Sigh... on the same note, if they make joss stick offerings, would they want/prefer/allow themselves to be photographed.

Quite a number of things to look out for. If this is your first outing, and already a main photographer, I hope the couple and the family are not fussy...

I don't think any family would like pictures to be taken when making joss offerings ...

Relax ... I know what I am doing ... if I am not confident enough I would not have agreed ... but after hearing the advices of friends here ... I am more or less well prepared and know what to do ...

dennislim said:
I don't think any family would like pictures to be taken when making joss offerings ...

Relax ... I know what I am doing ... if I am not confident enough I would not have agreed ... but after hearing the advices of friends here ... I am more or less well prepared and know what to do ...

Actually some do, just don't want the altar to be shot. But anyways, all the best. Lots of very useful advice here.

shinken said:

If he says only have tea ceremony, means the family mostly "eat potato" one, like that is photographer says what mean what already.

Anyway, there is no way to be fussy also, no offend to dennislim.:p

eikin said:
sure ah? sometimes people say CEREMONY means everything associated with that on that day you know?

no need to cover the groom picking up the bride, ancestral worship (subjective), exchange of ceremonial gifts, couple's return to bride's home etc meh? :confused:
Heng har, it is not your wedding, if not it will be so complicated. :sweat:

catchlights said:
Heng har, it is not your wedding, if not it will be so complicated. :sweat:

yah lor, haven't even go into details yet :bsmilie:

catchlights said:
If he says only have tea ceremony, means the family mostly "eat potato" one, like that is photographer says what mean what already.

Anyway, there is no way to be fussy also, no offend to dennislim.:p

= ) must listen to valuable advises from experience ppl mah ... =)
Everyday is a learning day ... = )

Really glad alot of ppl provide their view points ... good or bad are appreciated ...

esp rare poster like AhV giving his thoughts = )

thanks thanks ...

this thread is still open for more points if you think u wanna add =)

catchlights said:
Want a TFCD for wedding?
outting for NLPC wedding photography workshop?

How? 200?

:bsmilie:

scarly i do it in japan how? you all got to fly there yourself leh :bsmilie:

anyway with quite a number of pros in NLPC, why not, shall we do it for DCA? :bsmilie: i think he's going to avoid us for a long time upon seeing this :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.