Advise needed in deciding the price

showstoprakesh

Mar 12, 2011
Hello guys,
I have owned a D5000 from last February along with a D90. I have decided to sell the old D5000 to fund my lens purchase. It still has 15 months warranty left and all the accessories and packaging it came in with. I bought it for 1100SGD and its three months old. Shutter count is about 3.3K. Could any of you advise me as to how much should I sell it for. I am planning to get lens with this extra cash.

The whole kit includes---
18-55 VR kit lens
Original packaging and documents of purchase and warranty
8Gb SD card
2 batteries and charger
All the accessories it came in with
The camera and the lens are spotless and clean.

Thank you very much for your help. I am very bad at deciding prices. So if any experienced guys could help me decide on a reasonable price, I could start advertising ASAP. Thanks again and hope you understand my dilemma.

Sorry the warranty is left for 12 months more. Will expire on Wednesday, May 02, 2012.

I see a lot of people quoting 700-900 sgd for the D5000 kit.
I sold my D5k in February. The unit was bought in October from Challenger for 1100sgd (Didn't know any better then). :) Shutter count was 7k when i sold it. With two extra Nikon batteries, receipt/warranty, 16GB class 10 card, 18-55 kit lens and all other accessories. Sold for 720 sgd.
Hope this helps.

I see a lot of people quoting 700-900 sgd for the D5000 kit.
I sold my D5k in February. The unit was bought in October from Challenger for 1100sgd (Didn't know any better then). :) Shutter count was 7k when i sold it. With two extra Nikon batteries, receipt/warranty, 16GB class 10 card, 18-55 kit lens and all other accessories. Sold for 720 sgd.
Hope this helps.

So will I be reasonable to a buyer and myself quoting 850? I have 2 8Gb card to offer and the original unopened camera bag and Nikon tripod that came with D90.

Last edited:
showstoprakesh said:
So will I be reasonable to a buyer and myself quoting 850? I have 2 8Gb card to offer and the original unopened camera bag and Nikon tripod that came with D90.

It doesn't matter what you quote. In the end it is all about demand and supply. If there are no takers, you still have to lower the price.

Just take note that the new and much much more capable d5100 with 18-55vr is selling for around $996 brand new now.

Good luck in your sale.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what you quote. In the end it is all about demand and supply. If there are no takers, you still have to lower the price.

Just take note that the new and much much more capable d5100 with 18-55vr is selling for around $996 brand new now.

Good luck in your sale.

yes, luck plays a impt part in all my B&S transcation here... lol... i got some good buys, and i made some cut throat sales too...

The last I checked Parisilk was selling a brand new full D5000 kit with slik tripod, nikon camera bag, and 8 gb card for 830 sgd. Couple of friends tell me there are even cheaper options out there. This was even before D5000 was launched.
You can try asking your price. Depending on buyers, you might or might not get the price. Then you can repost at a slightly lower rate. Just note that with the release of the D5100, the price of D5000 is going to start moving down.
All the best for your sale.

Thank you all for the valuable advise. I did advertise it at 8am today for 800 negotiable and a nice gentleman bought it from me at 7pm 750 excluding the tripod and bag. So I went 50 down on my aim but will be able to sell the tripod and bag to make that up as already there are buyers. In fact the bag is already booked for 30 dealing tomorrow. Left the tripod. If I am able to get 20+ for that I will surpass my target. If you guys think I sold it for higher than market price then I am lucky. But if you say I sold under market price I would say, I do not regret it a bit as it will be sitting there ideally in my cabinet, and will be depreciating itself.

I really really really appreciate the effort you all took and the gesture of helping an inexperienced chap like me! Thanks a lot guys.

Thank you Meeran, I am so relieved right now. I am planning to get a macro lens. I am opting for Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro. Heard very good reviews.