Advise needed for lens

Shino Guo

Sep 16, 2010
Singapore City, Singapore
hi guys,

i'm new to photography, currently using D90 with kit lens 18-105, thinking of buying a new lens for landscape, preferably wide angle, some advise and suggestion needed, thank you!

Shino Guo said:
hi guys,

i'm new to photography, currently using D90 with kit lens 18-105, thinking of buying a new lens for landscape, preferably wide angle, some advise and suggestion needed, thank you!

So 18mm is not wide enough? Do you have a budget in mind?

Tokina AF 11-16mm f/2.8
cost ard $900+++
recommended lens for the budget and performance wise is above average

budget? And maybe you can shortlist afew so.. its better for us to help. Better you do some research first..

hi guys,

18mm is wide angle for a cropped sensor dslr like the D90. Any focal length 16mm and shorter is consider an ultra wide angle lens which is probably what you are looking for.

This is the list of ultra wide angle lenses you can choose from for a D90 user.

Nikon 10-24 f3.5-4.5
Nikon 12-24 f4
Sigma 8-16 f4.5-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f3.5
Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5
Tamron 11-18 f4.5-5.6
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Tokina 12-24 f4

Each lens has its own strengths and weaknesses and even with a short description of shooting landscape, I probably can't really suggest which lens for you.
However, there are several things to consider when making your choice.
1. budget
2. Focal length - how wide you like to shoot. Even though the differences maybe may be just 2mm between 2 lenses at its widest, this can mean as much as 10 degrees more or less in the field of view
3. range of zoom - depend on how and what you gonna use it
4. distortion - think I can safely say that all the uwa lens can produce photos with quite large curvilinear distortion especially at the corners and the degree and type of distortion varies from each lenses.
5. image quality like flare, chromatic aberration, sharpness, etc.
6. thread size or thread availability - this will affect your choice of filters or no choice of filters

i'm also a D90 user and i have no regrets getting the Tokina 11-16 f2.8, 2nd hand at ~800 still left with 2 yrs warranty when i bought it.
i like the constant wide aperture that is sharp enough for me even at wide open when i take night shots for over seas holiday without the need for a tripod.
however edge distortion is very bad even at 16mm so not advisable for taking people.

coolthought said:
18mm is wide angle for a cropped sensor dslr like the D90. Any focal length 16mm and shorter is consider an ultra wide angle lens which is probably what you are looking for.

This is the list of ultra wide angle lenses you can choose from for a D90 user.

Nikon 10-24 f3.5-4.5
Nikon 12-24 f4
Sigma 8-16 f4.5-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6
Sigma 10-20 f3.5
Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5
Tamron 11-18 f4.5-5.6
Tokina 11-16 f2.8
Tokina 12-24 f4

Each lens has its own strengths and weaknesses and even with a short description of shooting landscape, I probably can't really suggest which lens for you.
However, there are several things to consider when making your choice.
1. budget
2. Focal length - how wide you like to shoot. Even though the differences maybe may be just 2mm between 2 lenses at its widest, this can mean as much as 10 degrees more or less in the field of view
3. range of zoom - depend on how and what you gonna use it
4. distortion - think I can safely say that all the uwa lens can produce photos with quite large curvilinear distortion especially at the corners and the degree and type of distortion varies from each lenses.
5. image quality like flare, chromatic aberration, sharpness, etc.
6. thread size or thread availability - this will affect your choice of filters or no choice of filters

Thanks man, targeting tokina 11-16, but it's out of the budget. I will do some research on the lenses u suggested.

Shino Guo said:
My budget is within 900, thinking of buying a good 2nd hand one.

The tokina 11-16mm is a wonderful lens. Some like distortion n some don't. But the perspectives are nice if u like distortion. I love this lens.
ARTWORKFOTO has it and it's going for $910. Check out their thread in mass sales.

madmartian said:
The tokina 11-16mm is a wonderful lens. Some like distortion n some don't. But the perspectives are nice if u like distortion. I love this lens.
ARTWORKFOTO has it and it's going for $910. Check out their thread in mass sales.

Artworkfoto is grey set with one year shop warranty. Pay $30 more at $940 you can get a local set with 2 years international warranty alr:)

spree86 said:
Artworkfoto is grey set with one year shop warranty. Pay $30 more at $940 you can get a local set with 2 years international warranty alr:)

It's their free choice. I got mine from them. Grey or colored, makes no difference for me :)

Shino Guo said:

I got my tokina 11-16mm local set at $900 nett. It's from a reputable shop. Pm if u want the shop name.

Thanks man, targeting tokina 11-16, but it's out of the budget. I will do some research on the lenses u suggested.

Tokina 11-16 is not out of your budget. A good 2nd hand one costs around 800. I sold mine for 780 with warranty to boot.