advise needed for 18-200 mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedjog

Aug 11, 2008
Hi, I just bought a Nikon d60 with two kit which are 18-55 and 55-200 as the standard kit, should I get a 18-200 lens or should I just get another lens?

despite it will be more practical to carry one lens with that range instead of two, are there any other benefit of getting 18-200?

FYI, I like to shoot landscape, architecture, and traveling photography

and can anyone suggest a nice tripod below $ 100? :D

Hi wedjog

Hi, I just bought a Nikon d60 with two kit which are 18-55 and 55-200 as the standard kit, should I get a 18-200 lens or should I just get another lens?

For a start, the 18-55 and 55-200 are pretty useful already actually.
Why not try to shoot with them for a while. You will find out for urself what u need ( or maybe not at all )

despite it will be more practical to carry one lens with that range instead of two, are there any other benefit of getting 18-200?

More for convenience I think. Otherwise I would think IQ would not be too far from each of the other lenses. And all are already stabilised ( I assume your other lenses are VR as well )

FYI, I like to shoot landscape, architecture, and traveling photography

and can anyone suggest a nice tripod below $ 100? :D

All the focal lengths mentioned should cover most of the situations.

A nice tripod less than 100 dollars might not be the most stable setup, and might not even be able to fulfill its original intent. A good tripod / head is a setup that is likely to last. Unless one day you give up photography, it is a good one off investment.

Ryan

It might appear more practical but most people here will not agree. The "one lens fits all cases" approach has some drawbacks. The image quality at extreme settings (wide angle, maximum zoom, maximum aperture) is not as good as with a lens dedicated for wide angle, zoom or wide apertures (prime lens). This might not be that obvious for travel or walk around but when it comes to low light or situations where DOF is important you'll notice the shortfalls of your 18-200 lens.
Your current setup with 18-55 and 55-200 is perfectly fine for a good start. If you aim at the convenience of a single lens you might as well go with a prosumer camera.
Regarding tripod you should review your budget. A good tripod must be stable to support your camera, lens and maybe flash. If you don't like to see this all falling down due to collapsing tripod you better double your budget. Check the MO section and Buy&Sell to get an overview about the brands. Check the websites of the vendors for models and details. First question here: ball head or pan head? Take your time and have a good look around.

Hi thanks for the advises

I did review my budget for tripod and just got a nice tripod :)

I bought a slik pro330dx tripod, I don't know if it's good for you, but it's good enough for me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.