Advise in Cropping for 4R pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octopuz

Aug 13, 2003
Woodlands
octopuz.fotopic.net
Hi ;)

How do I crop my digital images so that it's suitable for 4R printing and it won't degrade the quality of the image? :dunno:

Normally take pic of 1600 x 1200 in size... What will happen to the quality of the pics if I crop a small/lager area to 1024 x 768 in size? :embrass:

Xie xie (thanks)
:)

You can crop it to 1600 x 1067 in size, but you will lose some parts of the photo.

it depends on the resolution of the printer...
rule of thumb. do not crop such that the final resolution is less than that of the printer.

eg if the printer is 300dpi, then your 4R pic should be 1200x1800 at least...

also be aware that the digital aspect ration is not the standard 1.5x used in 4R pictures....so be sure to crop to 1.5x aspect ratio.. (4R means 4inch x 6inch)
(aspect ration meaning that you multiply 4 by 1.5 to get 6)

you are using a 2 mega pixel digicam... 1200 x 1600 if you notice is NOT 1.5x aspect ratio...

just some extra advice incase you get a shock after printint the 4R... :D

showtime said:
it depends on the resolution of the printer...
rule of thumb. do not crop such that the final resolution is less than that of the printer.

eg if the printer is 300dpi, then your 4R pic should be 1200x1800 at least...

also be aware that the digital aspect ration is not the standard 1.5x used in 4R pictures....so be sure to crop to 1.5x aspect ratio.. (4R means 4inch x 6inch)
(aspect ration meaning that you multiply 4 by 1.5 to get 6)

you are using a 2 mega pixel digicam... 1200 x 1600 if you notice is NOT 1.5x aspect ratio...

just some extra advice incase you get a shock after printint the 4R... :D

Thanks ;)
Will take note of that...

But if I wanna to send it to Standard Photo to do the printing, what is the minimum or the optimum resolution?

Will the cropping degrade the photos? :dunno:

Xie Xie...

you need to find out the resolution that standard photo prints the pictures... then make sure you dont crop the image to pixel dimentions that are smaller than the resolution...

Octopuz said:
Thanks ;)
Will take note of that...

But if I wanna to send it to Standard Photo to do the printing, what is the minimum or the optimum resolution?

Will the cropping degrade the photos? :dunno:

Xie Xie...

Cropping will not degrade the photos, it just cut away part of your photos, that's all. Since your photos are 1600 x 1200, if you are thinking of 4R (3:2 ratio), what you can do in photoshop is, select crop tool, fill in 1600 for the width, and 1066 for the height, and crop.

Hrm, if you crop only the height (top and bottom), there won't be any resampling work involved, you'll still get a good clean image.

Hope this helps. ;)

Just calculate the print size for 4R...

Issit more accurate if I use the PS, I set the resolution to 1600 x 1066 and 267dpi under the Crop Tool? So i can exactly get a 6in x 4in pic, rite?

But does the printer's resolution of Standard Photo using 267dpi? :dunno:

So confused about these numeric stuff... :confused:

Xie xie

Octopuz said:

Issit more accurate if I use the PS, I set the resolution to 1600 x 1066 and 267dpi under the Crop Tool? So i can exactly get a 6in x 4in pic, rite?

Xie xie

You can take a look at this thread,

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=45474

:)

Octopuz said:

Xie xie
For me, I just set the measurement in PS to inches and leave the pixels column as 600 pixels/inches.

Then I key in 4 for the width and 6 for the length (for portait) or 6 for the width and 4 for the length (for landscape)

For 5R just key ( 5" by 7") and so on, never go and memorise pixels and resolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.