Advise for Wedding shoot with PowerShot S2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

I need some advise. I am tasked to take wedding photos for my friends wedding, this Sat & Sun (2 diff. friends).

I am not the official photographer, but they want me to take pictures of their wedding too, pictures where the official photographer are not capturing.

But knowing that the lightings at the venue is not that good and I cannot attach a external flash to my PowerShot S2, I am really at lost what to do.

Using the built-in flash will not be that good because the flash will not reach the desire distance and it will be direct flash.

Sigh.... can anyone help? :(

1) If you don't have the right equipment, reject

2) Ask them to sponsor you a SLR :)

Take your pick :)

My opinion is:

1) If your friends know what kind of pictures that you can produce with you whatever camera you use, and will accept at it is, why not?

2) Use whatever you have for your friends’ wedding and don’t try or buy something new that you have not tested/proven will worked.

3) Don’t get in the way of the photographer.

4) While the photographer shooting formal group photos, don’t raise your camera.

Do you know most official photographers do not like these semi-official backup friends photographer? I always decline such requests.

But if you insist on doing it, and I have no idea why, stay away from the official photographer. If he is shooting something, you don't need to shoot it right? You are suppose to shoots things he missed. If the official photographer is any good, he should not miss much.

And as you had said, your gears are not ideal or even sufficient to do the job.

Again, if I were you, I will decline the request.

hehehe..

bearing in mind that (official) wedding photographers are kinda HIGHLY STRUNG this month. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

ok being serious:

1. if u're not getting paid to shoot, but still wanna do it for fun, then dun stress becos of ur equipment. u go out to shoot fireworks for fun, shoot street for fun, shoot frens' kareoke session for fun, i dun presume u stress. why should this be different?

2. if u think ur photos won't be up to scratch due to equipment limitation (only direct flash, which is not so desirable, i agree) and it might affect ur "reputation" in case in future u wanna follow this route, then decline to shoot UNTIL u have equipment that u think u can shoot good shots with. mind u, i'm not being sarcastic (the typical, need a good cam to shoot good pics crap). i really mean wat i say. if u doubt urself, or ur equipment can take good shots, then u will NEVER take good shots. so wait till u have equipment that u're comfortable with, then go shoot. or, get comfortable with ur equipment pronto. which brings me to point 3.

3. dun wanna use direct flash? cannot use hotshoe (or no hotshoe), then don't use flash lar! no need me to teach u why natural light photos have their unique character rite? if u complain ambient light too low, high iso too noisy, shutter speed too slow, then again, decline to shoot for your friends and enjoy the day with them.

:)

jOhO said:
hehehe..

bearing in mind that (official) wedding photographers are kinda HIGHLY STRUNG this month. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Yes, highly strung! :bsmilie:

Back to the topic. Please go ahead to be the 'unofficial' photographer if:

1. You tell yourself you must never get in the way of the photographer, including your flash getting in the way when he's shooting
2. You have informed the couple that your shots may not be up to the standard and you're just helping to cover the event to your best ability; and that the couple has agreed
3. You're comfortable in producing some 'will-do' pictures

Deadpoet said:
Do you know most official photographers do not like these semi-official backup friends photographer? I always decline such requests.

But if you insist on doing it, and I have no idea why, stay away from the official photographer. If he is shooting something, you don't need to shoot it right? You are suppose to shoots things he missed. If the official photographer is any good, he should not miss much.

And as you had said, your gears are not ideal or even sufficient to do the job.

Again, if I were you, I will decline the request.

Eh... I didn't know that they do not like semi-official backup friends photographer.
I was just thinking of being there to practise and learn.
I have check with my friends, they are okay with the limitation of my camera, they just want to have more pictures.

But if based on what you mentioned, newbie will not get a chance to learn and grow in taking wedding shots... right? :think:

Virgo said:
Yes, highly strung! :bsmilie:

Back to the topic. Please go ahead to be the 'unofficial' photographer if:

1. You tell yourself you must never get in the way of the photographer, including your flash getting in the way when he's shooting
2. You have informed the couple that your shots may not be up to the standard and you're just helping to cover the event to your best ability; and that the couple has agreed
3. You're comfortable in producing some 'will-do' pictures

1. Point #01, noted.
2. Yes, I have informed them and they are okay with it.
3. Yes. It's a learning process.

kevyan said:
Eh... I didn't know that they do not like semi-official backup friends photographer.
I have check with my friends, they are okay with the limitation of my camera, they just want to have more pictures.

But if based on what you mentioned, newbie will not get a chance to learn and grow in taking wedding shots... right? :think:
Shooting along is fine... but

1) Getting in the main photographer's way
2) Snatching the couple's attention while the photographer is choreographing the couple
3) Bumping in to take the same shot the photographer is taking
4) Distracting the couple when not necessary
5) Delaying the photographer's time to take the image so that the couple can proceed.

All the above are some reasons why most official photographers don't like tag-alongs especially friends of the couple.

espn said:

2) Snatching the couple's attention while the photographer is choreographing the couple
5) Delaying the photographer's time to take the image so that the couple can proceed.

All the above are some reasons why most official photographers don't like tag-alongs especially friends of the couple.

PRO advice....:thumbsup:

espn said:

you forgot....

6) flashing when the main photographer is taking photos
7) asking silly questions..ie how come your LCD got no preview one...
8) standing in front of the main photographer when he/she is composing the shot.

kevyan said:

A good wedding photographer hardy miss anything in a wedding event, but because of some over enthused so call “semi-official backup friends photographer” the couple will sure miss something. Why?

1 stands in the line of fire of the photographer
2 always appear in the background unnecessary
3 subjects look away in formal group photo
4 slow down the process of the whole event
5….

I’m all right with any “semi-official backup friends photographer” using Hasselblad, Mamiya 7II, Xpan, F5, 1D, Lomo, holga, or whatever appear in a wedding that I cover, as long they don’t hinder me for doing my job.

kevyan said:
1. Point #01, noted.
2. Yes, I have informed them and they are okay with it.
3. Yes. It's a learning process.
Then what are you waiting for? Just take a deep breath and proceed. Stop worrying about your gears and start shooting! Have fun. :)

nikonsiao said:
you forgot....

6) flashing when the main photographer is taking photos
7) asking silly questions..ie how come your LCD got no preview one...
8) standing in front of the main photographer when he/she is composing the shot.

Thank you. But I feel that feedback #07 is saying that I don't know anything.

I think what I can do is don't talk to the official photographer, don't be in his/her way.

It seems like that are more people discouranging than encouraging one to be a 'semi-officail photographer'.

It really makes me wonder how did the official wedding photographer learn the skill initially. :dunno:

Weddings normally have other 'smaller' events where the photographer might not be able to cover. The official photographer cannot be everywhere all the time

Try cover these events instead. Take candid or group shots of the 'sisters' when the photographer is covering the couple. During reception, if the official is at the reception counter then you can cover the hall etc. Small camera.. easier to get candid shots.

Oh well... why not?

I think it should be fun to help out your friend's wedding... as a friend.
Your friend and you both know that you're not a pro... so they're not expecting extra-super-wonderful shots from you... if you could.. then its a plus! :thumbsup: Stressfree anyway!

Yah..sometimes.. some of those hired official photographers might not like your existance, but that cant be helped... even if you're not there... there will be many other ppl with cameras, snapping here and there, drawing attention from the photograher... So just dont get in that official photographer's way, and sometimes try to catch up small details which he might miss. (for example, when the couple is infront of the crowd saying "I DO(s)", that official photographer will be busy taking their images, then it should be a good opportunity for you to capture the surroundings, the audience, or the expressions of the parents, etc etc.) Shoot the crowd more... and the friends, and the relatives. At the end of the day, the couple would definitely want to know who came to their wedding, and who didnt.

Just one thing to remember, not to get in that official photographer's way. He/She has the responsibility if his photos turn out bad, and you dont. So leave your stress and pressure at home, and enjoy. Im sure there will be several nice photos from you after the day. Good luck!

kevyan said:
Thank you. But I feel that feedback #07 is saying that I don't know anything.

I think what I can do is don't talk to the official photographer.

It seems like that are more people discouranging than encouraging one to be a 'semi-officail photographer'.

It really makes me wonder how did the official wedding photographer learn the skill initially. :dunno:
It always seems that the wedding realm is a pasture full of greenery, easy piece of cake to sink your teeth in.

We're not saying you don't know anything, what nikonsian the GURU meant is that talking unncessarily to the photographer distracting him and making him unable to work. Includes

"Hi, are you from CS" while the photographer is busy composing his tea ceremony shot.

We're not discouraging people from wanting to be a wedding photographer, but remember, one day you as an official will face this same issue. And you'll be like one of us here typing such things.

Good question on how the wedding photographer gained their skills, why not ponder and think about it. :)

Take things in good light, we're just sharing our thoughts, highlighting issues to you that you might not have noticed although you feel that being a 2ndary photographer is nothing much.

When you have a job to do, you'll understand how come all the wedding photographers feel the same way :)

TopGun said:
Weddings normally have other 'smaller' events where the photographer might not be able to cover. The official photographer cannot be everywhere all the time
I'd phrase it this way also, who are the highlights ? The small events or the main event? You pay a photographer to cover the main event or you prefer them to run about ignoring you?

TopGun said:

Try cover these events instead. Take candid or group shots of the 'sisters' when the photographer is covering the couple. During reception, if the official is at the reception counter then you can cover the hall etc. Small camera.. easier to get candid shots.

waiaung said:
Oh well... why not?

I think it should be fun to help out your friend's wedding... as a friend.
Your friend and you both know that you're not a pro... so they're not expecting extra-super-wonderful shots from you... if you could.. then its a plus! :thumbsup: Stressfree anyway!

Yah..sometimes.. some of those hired official photographers might not like your existance, but that cant be helped... even if you're not there... there will be many other ppl with cameras, snapping here and there, drawing attention from the photograher... So just dont get in that official photographer's way, and sometimes try to catch up small details which he might miss. (for example, when the couple is infront of the crowd saying "I DO(s)", that official photographer will be busy taking their images, then it should be a good opportunity for you to capture the surroundings, the audience, or the expressions of the parents, etc etc.) Shoot the crowd more... and the friends, and the relatives. At the end of the day, the couple would definitely want to know who came to their wedding, and who didnt.

Just one thing to remember, not to get in that official photographer's way. He/She has the responsibility if his photos turn out bad, and you dont. So leave your stress and pressure at home, and enjoy. Im sure there will be several nice photos from you after the day. Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the advise, will keep that in mind... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.