Advise for Travel Trip

twy1981

Feb 4, 2011
I am a business traveller for my company.

Never bring my DSLR on my business trip. However, this trip, I believe I can squeeze abit of time in for R&R.. So I am bringing my camera and lens...

Need advise for this..

Trip duration = 2 weeks
Weather Condition = 6-22 degrees

Question:
Humditiy

Apart from bring my dry cabinet with me.. what can i do?? lol..

Thinking of using ziplock bag with silica gel inside and put inside my camera bag.. + a humditiy thermometer..

If okay.. Please advise on where to buy it.. except for the camera bag...

Condensation

After shooting outside, put inside ziplock bag and den camera bag... go into warm room and let it stay for a minimum of xx mins??

So how long???

PLease advise..

I think you are worrying too much. You don't need to bring a dry cabinet or humiditiy thermometer etc. for a 2-week trip.

as for condensation, if you are concern, just wait until the camera have warmed up to room temp

i still think you should worry more about getting good shots than your equipment. These equipment are not delicate equipment

Please read the first sticky in this section.

Weather Condition = 6-22 degrees

Please, please .. before posting anything here.. have a look into your camera manual, somewhere under 'Environmental Conditions' .. what does it state there? Good, question answered.
For everything else please read the seasonal thread where people talk about 'Winter time' and only mean temperatures of 10 degrees or even more..

Last edited:
Please, please .. before posting anything here.. have a look into your camera manual, somewhere under 'Environmental Conditions' .. what does it state there? Good, question answered.
For everything else please read the seasonal thread where people talk about 'Winter time' and only mean temperatures of 10 degrees or even more..

Juz wana to comment that not everyone of us have the luxury of getting a new camera thus coming with the camera manual thing etc...

I have tried and read the sticky and tried to understand it before posting..that juz what i always do before post..

I post becoz I expected help with a reasonable amount of work that I will put in as well... I have been googling for a while now... Of coz, I may not have google hard enough, if you are using your own presumption or perspection on me?

The sticky most mentioned about about Harbin, Japan etc with extreme condition below serveral celicus.. etc..

Actually I just need the few comments whereby..

Dun worry, your just getting paranoid about the weather... condensation not going to happen even from outside is 6 degrees and going into the warm house at around 22 degrees etc.... The sharp change in temperature from inside and outside within the dew point concern me... of coz i could be paranoid...

As for the part of keeping humdity down between the advise 40-50%... I really have no idea on how to do it...

I call up an ex photographer for 10+ years but have quit also around 10+ years.. lol.. he told me ziplock bag style..

I juz need the advise of the CSer on whether does it work? or there is a better way, given the improve in technology and gears which may not be applicable now...

Anyway, my 2 cents on my thoughts..

:) don't worry so much. Ur camera will b fine as long as it is being used. Apart from immersion in water or very extreme temperature, it will continue to work. U should worry more about taking nice photos n the condensation that will temporarily hinder taking of photos.
BTW, manuals can be downloaded from the manufacturer website.

Juz wana to comment that not everyone of us have the luxury of getting a new camera thus coming with the camera manual thing etc...
So it's luxury to google for the manuals online? I can even find them for old film bodies.

As for the part of keeping humdity down between the advise 40-50%... I really have no idea on how to do it...
Why would you want to do this? Have you ever seen a photographer running around with a hygrometer in his bag? If you ever saw a small handheld device it might have been an exposure meter.
Don't confuse storage conditions with operation conditions. The RH level you mention here is for storage = time when you don't use the camera for more than a week. All dry boxes and dry cabinets come with hygrometer. For dry boxes you'll need Silica Gel, for dry cabinets you will need electrical power to achieve the target level.

I juz need the advise of the CSer on whether does it work? or there is a better way, given the improve in technology and gears which may not be applicable now...
It's simply useless, paranoid and somewhat funny. If these measurements were really necessary to that extend you expect then I'm wondering how Canon, Nikon and the others can design and sell their cameras in a country with cold winters - Japan.
Coming from a European country: I have never ever seen anybody in the months of Oct to March, running around with a DSLR and Ziploc bag. But we can see stunning pictures of people using their cameras at -30 and below. Seems these people just forgot to tell their cameras about the temperatures.. and the Ziploc bags .. :bsmilie:
Stop worrying. Go shooting, enjoy!

Last edited:
Hi TS:
Dun need to be excessive cautious with your camera. I have been travelling often with mine camera too, 6 to 22c is not gonna kill your camera however just be careful when around water.;)

So it's luxury to google for the manuals online? I can even find them for old film bodies.

Once again your using your presumption and preception on others without further thoughts. How the hell am I a newbie suppose to know that a manual states such things?? I have never own a DSLR before... It is like "go find an apple tree to know the color of an apple and stop asking around when in fact I have never seen or know what is an apple.. How to recognise or know??"

The point that I wish to bring across is that everyone is a newbie and with such a Cser with 6100+ post(within 2 years??) with a domineer and flaunt attitude. It is not going to be much help to the community.

Apart from a couple of quotes that I quote, I find that the rest of the Cser is really great and accomodating. Thks very much.. Guess I just being paranoid..

Will just whack my camera and lens into camera bag and start shooting with no ziplock back or whatsoever...

Last edited:
Hi TS:
Dun take it too hard :mad2:, there are all sorts of people online just as in real life!
Have a good trip and bring back good shoots!:cheers::D

TS, 2 weeks or 1 month will not really matter, especially if you are in colder weather. Cold air holds less humidity.

Also the ziploc method works. You only need to do it when going from a cold environment into a warm one. No need to do anything if going from warm to cold.

Have fun.

I think the problem is the battery drained out pretty fast than warm country. so it is advisable to bring extra battery. Other than this there is no issue with condensation.
I have shot in Korea at -5 degree. and did not even bother to put in a ziplock bag.

1 week away should pose no problem and it is not really that cold. Good suggestion to bring an extra battery tucked in the warmed of your pocket.

And also be careful of condensation on the lens when going out into the cold - the image through the viewfinder get blurer and blurer as the condensation builds up - I find this more irritating than damaging to equipment.

Enjoy the opportunity! I seldom have the luxury to do much photography when on overseas business trips.

yea, i've shot in temperatures 1-10 degrees, no worries. Be on the lookout for pretty stuffs to shoot, battery wise if you find your juice dwindling, remove the battery from your camera, consider to place it somewhere warmer for a while, reload it and you may find a bit more unexpected energy to get a few more shots.