Advise for Sensor protection for point & shoot/ SLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitreviper

Feb 13, 2010
Singapore
Hi all. Got my powershot SX 20 IS few months back and it got myself interested in photography . Currently saving up for an SLR.

Anyway, before my current camera, previous of my 2 point and shoot camera died due to sensor problem. It takes pictures with purple vertical strips in both cases. I suspect its due to moisture caused corrosion ... Not an expert to tell. Both cameras die within months after using them during travel overseas.

So like to have some tips on protecting camera sensors for both point and shoot and SLRs. Thanks. :D. Happy CNY !!!

If overseas for a holiday, one way would be to keep your camera in ziploc bags with packets of silica gel.

If there for an extended period, you might wanna bring your dry box or any air-tight container along with silica gel inside.

Of course if the place you're going to has a dry climate, then there wouldn't be a need to bring any of these. :)

going to taiwan next month. is it considered dry climate (pardon my non-photography related qn)

also.. where to get those small packets of silica gel?

going to taiwan next month. is it considered dry climate (pardon my non-photography related qn)
Your question about climate is relevant, no worries. What is worrying is your inability to use Google and other sources.
Wikipedia: Taiwan - Climate
Using Google with 'Taiwan weather forecast' will help your further. Keep in mind the forecast horizon. Everything above 5 days is just a good guess.

also.. where to get those small packets of silica gel?
Photographic shops have it, but I doubt the benefit. Your camera bag is not airtight and a bulky plastic box is the last thing I would put into my luggage. It takes some months of wrong storage to invite and cultivate fungus. Enjoy your holidays and stop worrying.

Thanks guys. Will get the dry cabinet as first priority and get the ziplock for future tours. I think dry box might be a little more bulky and would probably stay in the hotel if bringing it as all. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.