Advise for offline Japan map for iPhone or GPS device

BrownInu

Sep 22, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a iphone offline map application or other offline map device for japan maps.

I have come across this offmaps which dont seem to be useful as from review. My intention was pre plan a route and view it offline, this will save the need to bring paper map which will be a waste.

Will appreciate if someone can share which type of apps or device is good.
Will be flying off tomorrow night.

Thank you

buy a prepaid card if dont want to be shocked by data costs?

Not familiar with iPhone but on Android the apps that can do offline maps are Locus pro (or Locus free) and Rmap.

In order to access internet and other features on the iPhone without wifi, what are the additional charges? I currently have an iPod touch, and the internet is free as long as I am in a wifi zone. Is it similar with the iPhone? Thanks.

Not familiar with iPhone but on Android the apps that can do offline maps are Locus pro (or Locus free) and Rmap.

Check up on Map Droyd too for Android phone

Hi,

Just sharing my friend back from Japan, she call and sign up on singtel for $20 a day for unlimited access of dataplan
therefore you can call your mobile provided to check it out.

It's actually very difficult to find wifi signal in Japan. I've been to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hokkaido, Takayama, Hiroshima, Kanazawa, Gotemba...and so far, I was only able to chance upon a wifi signal about once a day (if I'm lucky). Yes, even cities like Tokyo and Osaka, it's very difficult to come across wifi.

Not all hotels have wifi. Even though a hotel states that they have wifi on their website, but often you will only get wifi at the hotel lobby, sometimes you have to pay the hotel to use their wifi (they will give you the password) (I remembered about 500yen for a day at 1 of the hotel I stayed at Tokyo). Very rarely the hotel will offer wifi signal inside their hotel rooms. They usually just provide LAN cables in the rooms for the guests to connect their laptops to the internet. Even if you can get wifi signal, it's very very slow.

So to those who hoped to be able to depend on wifi at Japan. Don't.

------
my travel blog: Go Away, Sam...