Advise for newbie buying a camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willz

Feb 13, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, need some advise from experience photographers. I am still quite new to photography and I would like to buy an entry dslr like the nikon D50. As I will be visiting Japan some time during this mth, I am wondering if buying the camera in Japan would be cheaper as compared to the ones selling in SG? Any advise? ;)

Regards,
Willz

I am actually looking at nikon D50 as it fits my budget and also an entry level dslr. Just wondering if it would be cheaper in japan since I will be going over soon.

Rgds ;)

Willz said:
I am actually looking at nikon D50 as it fits my budget and also an entry level dslr. Just wondering if it would be cheaper in japan since I will be going over soon.

Rgds ;)

i dont think it will since its from japan (higher standard of living). hehe. i think lah.

but buying overseas, the body doesnt have intnl. warranty if i not wrong.

elfvin said:
i dont think it will since its from japan (higher standard of living). hehe. i think lah.

but buying overseas, the body doesnt have intnl. warranty if i not wrong.
You are not covered by warranty once you come back from Japan, prices at different shops varies and you're subjected to exchange rates too.

Don't forget after landing you might want to start shooting, without a camera till you get your D50, you might end up losing the precious moments.

Even if there's price differences, I seriously doubt it would matter for the moments I'll capture on the plane, alighting from the plane and journey to my destinations.

Willz said:
Hi guys, need some advise from experience photographers. I am still quite new to photography and I would like to buy an entry dslr like the nikon D50. As I will be visiting Japan some time during this mth, I am wondering if buying the camera in Japan would be cheaper as compared to the ones selling in SG? Any advise? ;)

Regards,
Willz

was in japan recently. price of D50 over there is similar to over here, perhaps it'll cost you slightly more. so no monetary incentive to get it from there.

but if you're looking for a used D50, then there are plenty over there. u can get a D50 body only for about JPY 47,000 or $750. try www.kakaku.com or www.mapcamera.com or www.fujiya-camera.com.

personally, im not a fan of D50 because of the SD card thingy and the lens is average.

But if this will be your first DSLR + you have thoughts of upgrading later on + taking the opportunity that you will go to Japan, you may want to consider a used D50 + a brand new/used good lens. You can get it for about $1,000 in total. A good lens will make more satisfying photo-taking experiences.

Most used shops in Japan provide a 6-month shop warranty, which is not too bad really for a used stuff. Good stores in Shinjyuku, Ikebukuro and Nakano. All are accesible via JR.

My two cents's worth. Hope the information above is useful.

Willz said:

Regards,
Willz
Buy the camera here. You get the warantee here. The prices there are slightly more expensive after conversion. But you can buy accessories such as the DK-21M there because it is almost impossible to get it here.. :)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the tips. Maybe I will just try to get a set here instead since it is not covered by international warrenty. I have to start saving now, Japan + D50 = Big hole in pocket :cry:

The worst thing any newbie in photography can do is to go to another country, buy the camera (even if its cheaper by a thousand bucks), start shooting without getting used to the camera first.

After getting ur D50, allow urself at least a month or two to get thoroughly used to it before giving ur D50 one heck of a firing time. The last thing u'd ever want is to go there and waste ur time shoot and reshoot something and it still turns out with lotsa basic mistakes (handshake blur, a pretty girl against a bright backdrop suddenly becoming a beautiful silhouette shot, etc).

btw, hows your command of japan language, language barrier can affect the pricing of products . my thots .

hehehehhehe

Status
Not open for further replies.