Advise for D5000 / 500D at comex, and winter photoshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pairdes

Sep 11, 2009
Singapore
hello all,

i am a newbie when it comes to camera choice, would appreciate if the "senpai" of CSforum could advise me. thank in advance :D
I am quite interested in taking landscapes and general nature shots.

Questions 1:
Is it advisable to purchase DSLR with their "attractive" freebies at the comex?

1. Nikon D5000 kit II offering around SGD$1600 for both AF-S 55mm and 200mm lens

2. Canon 500D kit II is at SGD$2099 for just EF S18-200mm IS lens
*for the moment i could readily borrow a Canon EF 18-55mm IS lens,
i was thinking a cheaper alternative would be getting the 500D body(SGD$1199) and a EF-S55-250 IS lens(SGD$459) under purchase with purchase scheme. Although i havent asked the sales person how the EF-S55-250 IS len is sold.

or is it never recommended to purchase the above DSLR camera in Comex/PCshows? rather it will be better to check out reputable stores like "alan photo"?

-----------------------------------
Question 2
2nd thing, i will be going Korea, Jeju island in december. i am wondering if the DSLR cameras would work properly during winter time and any advise for winter shoot?

Thank you very much in advance

Last edited:
hello all,

i am a newbie when it comes to camera choice, would appreciate if the "senpai" of CSforum could advise me. thank in advance :D
I am quite interested in taking landscapes and general nature shots.

Questions 1:
Is it advisable to purchase DSLR with their "attractive" freebies at the comex?

1. Nikon D5000 kit II offering around SGD$1600 for both AF-S 55mm and 200mm lens

2. Canon 500D kit II is at SGD$2099 for just EF S18-200mm IS lens
*for the moment i could readily borrow a Canon EF 18-55mm IS lens,
i was thinking a cheaper alternative would be getting the 500D body(SGD$1199) and a EF-S55-250 IS lens(SGD$459) under purchase with purchase scheme. Although i havent asked the sales person how the EF-S55-250 IS len is sold.

or is it never recommended to purchase the above DSLR camera in Comex/PCshows? rather it will be better to check out reputable stores like "alan photo"?

Question 2
2nd thing, i will be going Korea, Jeju island in december. i am wondering if the DSLR cameras would work properly during winter time and any advise for winter shoot?

hi pairdes, my advise on ur purchase will be,

1. Wat is ur budget that limits u to get
2. Since u into landsacpe (which most of us in CS likes) and nature, u need a wide angle lens and a tele zoom lens at the same time
3. If u r going to be serious in photography den comex/pc show is not a good place to get ur items

For the body, i think canon 500d or nikon d5000 works the same but for the lens it will better if u get this tamron 18-270 and they just came out not long, it has wide and tele funtions. Take a look at it

Doing Nature and Landscape can be done on any camera brand, thought usually some focal length lenses are used more than others (eg. Wide angle lenses in the range of 10mm to 18mm for landscapes; 200-500mm for Wildlife).

Comdex with the freebies can be a reasonable deal for newbies, since you are starting w/o the lens cloths/memory card/bag/etc. In all cases, just make sure you already know the street price.

The cameras should work in winter since these were designed in countries that have such weather. You are more likely to have a fast depleting battery due to the cold rather than a camera problem.

If you need a camera that is weather sealed and rated to go below 0degC, then you can look into this one which is rated to -10degC
http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/K-7/

Why don't you call the camera shops for a quotation before you make a decision? It doesn't take much time.

Instead of writing such a lengthy posting and wait for answers coming in you can get the answers faster:
1) Go to Marketplace here, there is a Canon Price Guide, updated in Sep.
2) On top is a list of reputable shops including contact info. Give them a call. Some shops (MS Color) offer e-quote services. Go to their website, enter what you need and you'll get a good quote within 1-2 days. It's binding for 7 days.
3) Comex is called that way .. cause it's about computers .. right? Get your stuff from the right shops.

Hmmm Ok, So both cameras are viable options for general landscape and nature, just the pricing and where to get them.

Trying to find out between canon and nikkon which is a better deal. Although canon is a reliable brand, review at dpreview.com isnt really fantastic as compared with Nikon. Difference is generally at the megapixel of these cameras.

Was thinking which area to put more emphasize, the lens or the machine since 500D kit 2being better specced only offer $1900 for 200mm len while nikon kit 2 offers 55mm & 200mm lens for $300 less.

EFS 55-250 IS shouldn't be that expensive.
Why buy at COMEX anyway...

Trying to find out between canon and nikkon which is a better deal. Although canon is a reliable brand, review at dpreview.com isnt really fantastic as compared with Nikon. Difference is generally at the megapixel of these cameras.

I thought the message got around already: megapixels alone don't make a good camera.
"Better deal" requires that you define your needs first and it's more than getting 2 lenses plus body for lowest price. Have you tried both cameras in the shops? Weight? Handling? And since you don't have much ideas about your shooting style (yet) it's always recommended to use kit lens only and get additional lenses once you know exactly what you need and why you need it. To me it doesn't make any sense to hoard equipment just because it comes in package.
Was thinking which area to put more emphasize, the lens or the machine since 500D kit 2being better specced only offer $1900 for 200mm len while nikon kit 2 offers 55mm & 200mm lens for $300 less.
Skills are more important for you as beginner. Both cameras can produce great pictures if you know how to use it. Chances are that certain differences in specs won't be obvious to you anyway. Start with the basics, learn, make decisions based on knowledge, not based on specs in advertisements.

Alan Photo is not a reputable shop IMHO. Anyways, "Caveat Emptor" or "Buyer Beware". Check the prices online before making a purchase and watch out for scams.

Well yes i'll check out the pricing from other stores before making conclusion.

Anyway i have been practising on a 1000D, quite a decent camera, but there are times when i kind of feel restricted with its standard 55mm len kit. (and most importantly it isnt mine)

So maybe i thought i should get myself 1 DSLR with wide angle lens and decent* zoom range for landscapes or nature shots for my trip to Korea in winter time.
Most of the camera operation temperature tends to be in the 0 degree - 40degree except for the mentioned pentax. So hopefully they do work properly near or under 0 degree (except for the batt.)

As for winter photoshoots, in camera adjustment for WB will do or is there additional filters needed?

Last edited:

Anyway i have been practising on a 1000D, quite a decent camera, but there are times when i kind of feel restricted with its standard 55mm len kit. (and most importantly it isnt mine)

So maybe i thought i should get myself 1 DSLR with wide angle lens and average zoom range for landscapes or nature shots for my trip to Korea in winter time.
Most of the camera operation temperature tends to be in the 0 degree - 40degree except for the mentioned pentax. So hopefully they do work properly near or under 0 degree (except for the batt.)

As for winter photoshoots, in camera adjustment for WB will do or is there additional filters needed?

I'm not sure how you classify lenses, but I'd classify the 18-55mm kit lens as a wide angle zoom with average zoom range.
The zoom factor is 55mm/18mm = 3.05, which is not bad already.

If you want more zoom, you can get a Nikon D5000 kit, then sell off the 18-55VR kit lens (cheap) and buy a 18-105VR or 18-135 lens. You're looking at a top-up of between $150-250.

* You tried out a 1000D with 18-55 kit lens and felt restricted by the zoom range. Wouldn't buying the exact same setup and adding the 55-250 lens solve your problem? Getting the 500D will not get your more zoom. The 18-200 lens can also be used on the 1000D.

Last edited:
Hi Pairdes,

My preference would be to get the 500d and 18-200mm: Its much cheaper than if u bought the lens standalone: Reason is becos the kit 18-200 is made in Taiwan I believe, while the standalone 18-200 is made in Japan, which explains the price differential.

A lot of CSers are trying to sell their Kit 18-200 lens at the 'Made in Japan' price, and unfortunately for the unsuspecting buyers who have forked out quite some money for the Made in Taiwan 18-200, which actually costs much lower.

As for the 55-250mm, and the 500D body, u'll get it much cheaper if u get E-quote from the specialty shops like MS, TK, Cathay, OP.
I remember the 55-250mm retails at only $360, but at comex, u are buying at RSP at a crazy $459.

My advice is that u'll seldom use the 55-250 if overseas (bcos its not wide enuff). The 18-200 will be perfect as it covers the range that u need for yr scenic holiday- a better plus would be to bring along a UWA (ultra wide angle) like the 10-22mm to capture the mountains and lakes- beautiful.

So maybe i thought i should get myself 1 DSLR with wide angle lens and decent* zoom range for landscapes or nature shots for my trip to Korea in winter time.

White balance is one thing, shoot in RAW if unsure. Exposure wise, it is easy for the snowscape to cause your shots to be underexposed, so you have to do exposure compensation.

@Mettalife
Hmmm ok, but whether its Made in Japan or Taiwan, the lens are basically of the same quality right, not much difference just the pricing.
Havent thought of the UWA, worth considering too. Thank you.

@ahbian
Hmmm, what you're saying is much like taking HDR photos right?

Thansk

@Mettalife
Hmmm ok, but whether its Made in Japan or Taiwan, the lens are basically of the same quality right, not much difference just the pricing.
Havent thought of the UWA, worth considering too. Thank you.

@ahbian
Hmmm, what you're saying is much like taking HDR photos right?

Thansk

No. Not HDR. Maybe this link would help.

http://photoclub.canadiangeographic.ca/blogs/tutorials/archive/2008/02/13/shooting-in-the-snow.aspx

@ahbian
ohh that, understood. thank you very much for the link

buying at comex is not worth it! decide what you want first before buying :)

just got a D5000 at comex with the standard comex freebie + xtra batt + another 8GB at $1249 with cc installment.

I find it a decent deal.. no choice... as dun wan to dump the full cash for it and other shop want 5% extra for cc payment.

Question 2

I brought my Canon 450D to Jeju last year Dec also. (around 1 to -8 degree)
The camera was working perfectly just like in SG.i brought 3 batteries (overkill cause kiasu)..
The original battery can last one full day around 300 pics a day.

Enjoy your trip...Korea is a nice country...

Status
Not open for further replies.