Advise for a DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidsim

Jun 5, 2003
East
www.flickr.com
hi.. know tt probably tis type of qn has been asked many many times before
recently feel like picking up digital photograhing.. so was looking ard 4 a DSLR. i have got a SLR, canon rebel 2000 bought lomg time ago,w sigma lenses..
therfore thonkong og getting back canon.
Looking at either a 2nd hand 2OD or new 35OD. I am not going to Make a career out of this, just hobby.
so what do u guys suggest?
Personally I would prefer a lighter one, but friends said lighter camera will be more prompt to shakes.. true?
at a loss now... would appreciate some insights as this is not my cup of tea..

buy 300D, best price now. less than 1k. cheaper than some prosumer compact digicams.

find a used 10d

davidsim said:
seriouslly guys..
not as is i got big budget :(

I am serious with the 300D! You have to take me seriously dude. I bought 1 at $700 because its exterior is badly scratch but its still working fine! And theres no box, CDs, manuals etc...which I am fine with it. I know this camera inside out...ha ha...

most film bodies oso v light wad. my body under 400g, i oso seldom shake. giv u a 2kg body c u hold long o-readi will shake or not arh.... :sweatsm:

sORe-EyEz said:
most film bodies oso v light wad. my body under 400g, i oso seldom shake. giv u a 2kg body c u hold long o-readi will shake or not arh.... :sweatsm:

Allo, he looking for DSLR lah....see the title....;)

davidsim said:
hi.. know tt probably tis type of qn has been asked many many times before
recently feel like picking up digital photograhing.. so was looking ard 4 a DSLR. i have got a SLR, canon rebel 2000 bought lomg time ago,w sigma lenses..
therfore thonkong og getting back canon.
Looking at either a 2nd hand 2OD or new 35OD. I am not going to Make a career out of this, just hobby.
so what do u guys suggest?
Personally I would prefer a lighter one, but friends said lighter camera will be more prompt to shakes.. true?
at a loss now... would appreciate some insights as this is not my cup of tea..

not ur cup of tea as in DSLR is not ur cup of tea, or photography in general?

going into DSLR route is an expensive proposition. if u are just want a camera to take the occasional snap shots, a prosumer camera might just do it. yeah, u 'sacrifice' the ability to change lenses, faster shutter blackout etc... but, u can't really argue too much against a all-in-one camera for a really good price. eg, the new sony RD-1 is the 1st prosumer camera (with a very good lens, i might add) with a DSLR APS-C sensor for $1K+ (?). its already a complete camera, and u dun have to invest in lenses. other 2nd-hand choices available in CS Buy/Sell are like the nikon 8800, canon S1 IS, canon G-series etc...

but, if u like to exercise more creative controls over ur photography, then DSLR. just need to be prepared to spend, spend and spend some more... :sweat: Max 2.8 is rite. if u want a lightweight DSLR, the used 300D are a good bargain now. plus, since u have some canon lenses, the 300D can make use of them. u dun get as much features in the 300D as u would find in the later generations of canon DSLR (heck... 300D is almost 4yrs old?). however, wat it has is more than enuf for beginners and casual hobbist (or a working pro like Max, for a back-up... :devil: ) the 10D has better functions, but weighs more than the 300D.

end of the day - depends on wat u want to shoot MOST often rather than HOPE to shoot most often. then buy accordingly. :)

guess i will be a occasional hobbyist... Used to play a little while with my SLR years back, but just snap here snap there kind :bsmilie:

I have got a dummy dig camera now... casio exilim...

Will be posted to US to work soon, so thinking of getting a DSLR, for whatever reason :sweat:

What abt the later 350d. COuld get it for around 1.5k and seems to be quite decent too?

Is the kit len any good? Since DSLR has a 1.6 mag... so i guess 18-55 = 27 - 70??

davidsim said:
guess i will be a occasional hobbyist... Used to play a little while with my SLR years back, but just snap here snap there kind :bsmilie:

I have got a dummy dig camera now... casio exilim...

Will be posted to US to work soon, so thinking of getting a DSLR, for whatever reason :sweat:

What abt the later 350d. COuld get it for around 1.5k and seems to be quite decent too?

Is the kit len any good? Since DSLR has a 1.6 mag... so i guess 18-55 = 27 - 70??

haha... congrats on ur job posting! izit a permanent thing?

the 350D is an excellent update on the 300D. higher MP, better sensor and better controls/features over the 300D.... and also 1K+ more than the 300D lah! :sweatsm: the kit lens is great for general purpose shooting. a colleague of mine just bought the 350D+kit lens and travelled nevada with family in dec. he bought it for its lightweight body, as he was on a road trip with the family. according to him (and i saw his holiday pics), the 18-55 was more than enuf for most shooting purposes throughout his 3wk long trip. only thing he complained abt was on the tele end as he can't zoom in close enuf for distant objects. :)

can also get the 350d.. then sell the kit lens.. (quite difficult to sell as i'm trying now) :(

after that, get a EF-S 17-85mm.. nice lens to work with (for me). although alot of ppl say not good. but i feel good enuff for me. cuz i'm beginner.. :embrass: whahah..

btw, good luck in whateva you choose.

rgds,
mark

nightwolf75 said:
however, wat it has is more than enuf for beginners and casual hobbist (or a working pro like Max, for a back-up... :devil: )

Dun sabo me hor...NW75! I not pro hor....

But must say 300D is really really good bargain now. With M mode, AV, TV, and all the dummy mode. Its more than enough. You'll not use high end function if you understand photography well enough. I only use AV, M and occasional P mode;p when shooting weddings.

I recommend a 2ndhand 10D or 300D or 350D.

learn to hold the cam well, and it won't shake.

i faint..

one recomm 300D.. another recomm 1DsM2 lor...

how? .. check your wallet lor..

<1000 = d30, 300d, etc..
>1000 = 10d, 350d, etc..
>2000 = 20d, 1d, etc..
>5000 = 5d, 1dm2, etc..
>*000 = ......... there's not much choice left, u know....

Status
Not open for further replies.