Advisable to bring my DSLR to UK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuclear_puppi

Dec 26, 2003
Will be travelling to UK for a month, given the cold weather there now, will it be advisable to bring my camera there ?

Anyone got prior experience ?

I'm keeping my eye on this thread, i'm going to the UK for 5 months! :bsmilie:

I was quite concerned about this too, but from what i have gathered from the other posts in the forum, apparently it's not so much of a camera issue. Possible problems are as follows:

1. Lens may fog when moving from cold to warm places. (solution - keep lens cap on when moving indoors, allow lens to warm up)

2. Battery life will droooooop. (solution - keep batteries warm and near body when not in use)

That seems to be the main issues with DSLRs in cold places. Of course, i haven't been there yet, so i can't tell you firsthand. But if you think about it, the people in the UK buy and use DSLRs too, if it works for them, it should work for us ya? :think:

yes bring! well i only had the chance to experience it during summer, so if u are asking about how the camera will cope in the weather i cant share with you, but hey, many other ppl brought their cams to winter conditions....true that the battery will run out faster, but picture taking wise...still the same...............

unless u wanna settle for a pns...and dun mind it...then yeah

There are more UK photographers than there are SG photographers. And none of them have any problems. Do bring your DSLR.

There are more UK photographers than there are SG photographers. And none of them have any problems. Do bring your DSLR.
Makes a lot of sense.

I don't think the UK will be that cold - yes that had a cold snap last week but it's more likely to be wet so keeping the camera dry is more of a concern to you than battery life dropping through freezing temperatures.

Also, be slightly vigilant about what and where you shoot and be slightly discrete about your equipment. You might be an easy target if you stand around with a very expensive looking camera and big lenses at night in some larger cities. Don't photograph stranger's children like you can here. It is a big no-no in UK.

Well, I think there's a lot of good photographic opportunities. You're gonna miss your dSLR if you don't bring it. Just take the usual precautions and you'd be fine.

Will be travelling to UK for a month, given the cold weather there now, will it be advisable to bring my camera there ?

Dont worry... No problem at all...
My DSLR has gone through Winter in Japan, China... Spring in UK, US....:D
It is still working in good condition....:cool::thumbsup:

Just keep the spare batteries warm - next to your body in the jacket...
I wrap my DSLR in a sweat shirt before putting in bag when travelling....:thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advise, anyway I think I might be bringing a pns and my dslr.

UK is not cold. Climate-wise it's moderate clime zone. As Headshotzx pointed out: DSLR would be hard to sell in UK if there were any issues. Also, fogging is nothing to be scared about. If it happens, just wait a bit. I would be more worried about London rain, English rain, Scottish rain and the (in)famous cloudy skies you can get there in autumn :) Ask night86mare (once he's back) about his experience in UK.

Last edited:

You mean in UK they don't sell DSLR due to cold weather?
So Japan also don't have DSLR since it is equally cold there. Oh c'mon, where's the common sense!

Actually why not?
UK has great architecture and good landscape to capture.
The fogging of lenses, will also happen if you place your camera in an aircon room.
As for the battery life, it is not that cold in UK like -10C to really affect your battery life.
U can always warm it up a bit before using too.

my 2 cents

I'm keeping my eye on this thread, i'm going to the UK for 5 months! :bsmilie:

I was quite concerned about this too, but from what i have gathered from the other posts in the forum, apparently it's not so much of a camera issue. Possible problems are as follows:

1. Lens may fog when moving from cold to warm places. (solution - keep lens cap on when moving indoors, allow lens to warm up)

2. Battery life will droooooop. (solution - keep batteries warm and near body when not in use)

That seems to be the main issues with DSLRs in cold places. Of course, i haven't been there yet, so i can't tell you firsthand. But if you think about it, the people in the UK buy and use DSLRs too, if it works for them, it should work for us ya? :think:

NO NO NO. Do not even think to bring your camera to the UK. The weather is very wet, rains all the time, your camera will guaranty to malfunction at best, spoil beyond repair at worst.

Photographers in UK use only disposable camera. :bsmilie:

UK is not cold. Climate-wise it's moderate clime zone. As Headshotzx pointed out: DSLR would be hard to sell in UK if there were any issues. Also, fogging is nothing to be scared about. If it happens, just wait a bit. I would be more worried about London rain, English rain, Scottish rain and the (in)famous cloudy skies you can get there in autumn :) Ask night86mare (once he's back) about his experience in UK.

got to agree with you. the rain and the cloudy sky are something to think about. bring special effect filters?:think:

Be wary of what you shoot there. Some places are sensitive (more than Singapore) and the police might stop you. Read british photography magazines and you'll know wat i mean.

Be wary of what you shoot there. Some places are sensitive (more than Singapore) and the police might stop you. Read british photography magazines and you'll know wat i mean.

I think if the TS acts like a tourist (which he is), it'll be fine even if he touts the camera about. There was a video about this local british guy filming in london who got pulled over by 2 cops, and 1 had the distinctive china accented english.

It is not a question of weather but rather if you want to carry a DSLR for a trip like this.

Do you want to travel light ? I am in this situation (going UK next week) and just because of this trip, I brought forward my purchase of a new DSLR body.

Of course you must bring... and if you have a wide-angle, bring it too!
Just want to share my experience in italy.... my battery was fully charged when we went out in the morning... after a few shots, it's gone... so I took out the battery, warm it up a little and it works after I pop it back into the camera :p keep your battery warm, it really helps.
btw, the architecture are amazing so a wide angle is really helpful to capture the floor to ceiling photos....

one should be more worried about the wet weather rather than the cold. the weather here is ridiculous, raining as I'm typing this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.