Advices needed

zackary

Feb 22, 2010
Hello, For newbie like me. Which DSLR model should i start first?

This question is only asked 50 times everyday.

First, what is your budget?

What are you planning to shoot?

Are you ok with a bulky camera?

Budget 1k max,

Shoot human, shoot scenery. haha.

I'm ok with bulky camera.

:D:D help help help~

1k is a tight budget to work with because you need to include the hidden costs like:

1) Tripod for scenery
2) Possibly filters
3) Some way of carrying your gear, usually inserts or a decent camera bag
4) Dry cabinet / box to store your gear

With all that in mind, are you in the market for something new, or is 2nd hand fine for you?

Hello...welcome.

Given today's technology, all DSLRs regardless of brands will be able to give you good pictures if you used them correctly.

I would suggest that you set a budget first and start looking around at cameras within your budget.

After shortlisting the models from different brands, you many want to visit the shops to hold them in your hands to see which is more comfortable to you.

Ya, i realize that. I think i'm ok with 2nd hand body.

Friends saying body 2nd hand is ok, but the lens and stuffs can't. True?

But what is the ideal set to start with for new set? and 2nd hand set? Budgets?

Hello...welcome.

Given today's technology, all DSLRs regardless of brands will be able to give you good pictures if you used them correctly.

I would suggest that you set a budget first and start looking around at cameras within your budget.

After shortlisting the models from different brands, you many want to visit the shops to hold them in your hands to see which is more comfortable to you.

But i don't know how to test the cameras. Any tips? or recommended shops? I only takes pictures with compact cameras before. Haha.

1 option is to go the Pentax route, they have some great offers for the K-x which is a really capable camera especially for a beginner at the moment:

K-x w/ DAL 18-55: $800

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638921

You still have $200 left over for a decent sized memory card, some rechargeable batteries (K-x uses AA sized batteries, please use something decent like the Sanyo Eneloops that have a long charge retention) and a dry box or cabinet.

The tripod can wait, tripods can last you a long long time and it would make sense to invest in one in the future even if a $200-300 tripod sounds expensive to you at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with 2nd hand lenses, just make sure they work well and come fungus free.

Is there sets for canon that suitable for newbie?

But i don't know how to test the cameras. Any tips? or recommended shops? I only takes pictures with compact cameras before. Haha.

You can try the bigger shops like Best Denki, Courts, Harvey Norman kind to try the cameras. Some friendly shops like Cathay Photo & MS Color are ok too.

Is there sets for canon that suitable for newbie?

Definitely, you'll find that the 450D and 500D both fit somewhat into your budget though 500D will be stretching it tight. Also the 550D is about to hit the market, probably just a couple of days away so if you wait just these few days you can probably find people ditching their 450D/500D for the newer cams and you might just get a good offer for one. Try to get a bundle where people throw in things like memory sticks, extra batteries, kit lenses and so on. These are more or less essential and often when people sell their gear they don't include the costs of these so it easily translates into an additional $100+ savings compared to getting it new.

Last edited:
Thanks both of ya. Even if i bought the sets, i'm still confused bout what lens for what purposes, and the model;types of lens. HEADACHE. haha you guys must be shooting for years? :D

May i ask normally people compare cameras by seeing what specs? Functions etcs?

May i ask normally people compare cameras by seeing what specs? Functions etcs?

Depends on what is important to you, what best matches your shooting style.

Honestly, if you know nuts about photography, about dynamic range, bokeh, microcontrast, etc, think hard if a DSLR is really the right step for you.

Thanks both of ya. Even if i bought the sets, i'm still confused bout what lens for what purposes, and the model;types of lens. HEADACHE. haha you guys must be shooting for years? :D

We have newbies guide stickies here for a good reason. And the library is full of tutorial books.

Welcome to CS :) You can try handling your friend's cameras & ask them why they bought their camera. From they get a feel of it in your hands. If not, just drop by the shops & do the same. You don't have to buy the 1st one you see. Read up on some reviews & consider before taking the plunge ;)

Depends on what is important to you, what best matches your shooting style.

Honestly, if you know nuts about photography, about dynamic range, bokeh, microcontrast, etc, think hard if a DSLR is really the right step for you.

Honestly, the entry level DSLRs are not that hard to control, you can easily learn these things as you go along.

Yup. Learning. Took some pictures at universal studios using my fren's cam ytd. haha.
Its interesting. Most prob getting 400D. Fren say its good enuff for a newbie like me. Thanks for all your advices.