Advices needed..going to help friend take pic at her ROM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nn3th03

Jan 6, 2005
hi all Lumix experts... :)

i am asked by my friend to help take photos at her ROM... :hung:

i have "self-asked" ( zi wen ) and i dun have the skills nor confidence... :embrass:

so i would like some if not a lot of advices... :sweatsm:

it will be held in some resturant somewhere...

not sure abt lighting there...

so wat kind of setting should i do to my FZ-20 ?

normally, i would turn it to PARTY mode... in this case, CAN ??

i will also be taking photos in her house ... setting ??

thanks in advance..!!! :cool:

k3nn3th03 said:
hi all Lumix experts... :)

i am asked by my friend to help take photos at her ROM... :hung:

i have "self-asked" ( zi wen ) and i dun have the skills nor confidence... :embrass:

so i would like some if not a lot of advices... :sweatsm:

it will be held in some resturant somewhere...

not sure abt lighting there...

so wat kind of setting should i do to my FZ-20 ?

normally, i would turn it to PARTY mode... in this case, CAN ??

i will also be taking photos in her house ... setting ??

thanks in advance..!!! :cool:

I think external flash with the bounce card will be essential.

In the restaurant, you will need to check the lighting before the dinner start, so that you can set your f-stop right and aperature reading correctly in order to achieve good photos shots.

i have none...

wat i have is wat is call the standard package...

no more...

gosh..

k3nn3th03 said:
i have none...

wat i have is wat is call the standard package...

no more...

gosh..

Go and get 1 if you seriously want to take good wedding photos.

The external flash will cost you less than S$60, bounce card either DIY or buy, should not be more than S$20....should be affordable what.

60 ??

so cheap meh ?? buy where ??

tot it kinda in hundreds ??

oh really...

do i have to bring my FZ-20 there ??

SLS = sim lim sq...

AP = ???

thanks....

thanks john....

anyone got any other suggestions ??

feel free to tell me...

thanks..

Hi there,

First of all, I'm no expert but I have been experimenting with my FZ20 a lot and I hope to help wherever I can.

One thing you gotta remember to do is to set the white balance preferably manually if you are in the restaurant. I remember the ROM lighting was also a bit yellowish so I would strongly suggest doing the same there. You can set the white balance by going to the menu and pointing to the set white balance button and then point at a white backgound (ceiling, white pillar, etc...). Just remember to take something white in the same lighting conditions (room) as the one you would be taking pictures.

Another thing about the party mode is that I'm not sure whether the shutter speed will be fast enough. You might get blurry pics unless your subjects are ready to pose for you. But for candid shots like kissing the bride, a fast shutter speed would help. This is where your built-in flash can help to a certain extent. An external one would be a better option but if you are on a budget, stick to the built-in one and practice before the event.

Hope this has been useful.

Tried taking with Suntax 328DTZ on two indoor occasions, 1-dinner & dance, 1-wine tasteing. 1st time, flash was too harsh, same 4 2nd time, till changed setting on flash after some trial and error.

You need to test and check the flash effect b4 you decide which setting is the best. Search clubsnap for settings advise.
You need to know that shooting indoor at night with FZ20 is like shooting blinding as there is no optical viewfinder, so you may need to shoot 1-2 x to get the perfect shot.
Make sure you have plenty of juice(min two battery) & e charger 2 charge while u use e other.(usually 30min is enough to get it charged).
May need two sets of AA batteries for the flashlight as well.
Last but not least, enough SD card space as u may not have time to del unwanted shots.

Good preparation always help.

thanks man...sunlinger

i am searching for the ext flash...

trying to find something cheap...

:)

Howdy said:
Tried taking with Suntax 328DTZ on two indoor occasions, 1-dinner & dance, 1-wine tasteing. 1st time, flash was too harsh, same 4 2nd time, till changed setting on flash after some trial and error.

You need to test and check the flash effect b4 you decide which setting is the best. Search clubsnap for settings advise.
You need to know that shooting indoor at night with FZ20 is like shooting blinding as there is no optical viewfinder, so you may need to shoot 1-2 x to get the perfect shot.
Make sure you have plenty of juice(min two battery) & e charger 2 charge while u use e other.(usually 30min is enough to get it charged).
May need two sets of AA batteries for the flashlight as well.
Last but not least, enough SD card space as u may not have time to del unwanted shots.

Good preparation always help.

well, haven bought the extra batt thru...

been ext busy... OT OT OT... :confused:

i only got 512 mb... hope it be enough...

thanks again.. ;)

Hi k3nn3th03, my personal view is to take the pics in the highest resolution and in TIFF. With 512mb, thats only 32 pics. I'm expecting that the wedding couple would want to print pics, and if you use jpeg, larger prints will show the compression pixelations. cheers and good luck on the shoot!

p.s. Spare batts are a must dude. I got mine from Eastgear and the performance was fantastic! For a small price of 30+. I currently carry 5 for a whole day shoot.

rhair78 said:
Hi k3nn3th03, my personal view is to take the pics in the highest resolution and in TIFF. With 512mb, thats only 32 pics. I'm expecting that the wedding couple would want to print pics, and if you use jpeg, larger prints will show the compression pixelations. cheers and good luck on the shoot!

p.s. Spare batts are a must dude. I got mine from Eastgear and the performance was fantastic! For a small price of 30+. I currently carry 5 for a whole day shoot.

if i were to purchase more memory card, say another 512mb or 1 gb, which brand can i trust ?? in term of price and quality etc..
Lexar, kingston, etc ??

5 batts ?? wow... i got 1 batt.. seem like i MUST go get somemore...

thanks..

I am also quite interested in getting the ext flash...what is roughly the best price for it guys

k3nn3th03 said:
if i were to purchase more memory card, say another 512mb or 1 gb, which brand can i trust ?? in term of price and quality etc..
Lexar, kingston, etc ??

5 batts ?? wow... i got 1 batt.. seem like i MUST go get somemore...

thanks..

Currently, I'm running the Lexar 512mb, and Kingmax platinum 1Gb.
From what i heard, these were brands that had fast read/write speeds. But I'm not too techie about the exact speeds. :bsmilie:

As for the flash issue, a good feature for flash would be if it could swivel upwards when you tilt the camera for potrait shots. MS color at Ang Mo Kio was telling me a model from Vivitar has that feature. Is really useful for indoor shoots :thumbsup:

rhair78 said:
... MS color at Ang Mo Kio was telling me a model from Vivitar has that feature. Is really useful for indoor shoots :thumbsup:

yea, i went there looking for the vivitar df200 a couple of weeks back, florence said she din know of the model then said wanna check with the agent. Wonder if they got sell liao... :think:

But anyone know the trigger voltage? I tried searching the website but couldn't find anything.

Cheers
John

Status
Not open for further replies.