Advices needed for an amateur photographer regarding Flash Attachment & New Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenStarz

Oct 8, 2007

Hi folks,

I'm an amateur photographer still in the midst of learning & experimenting in the world of photography. I bought a Nikon DSLR, D40x about a year ago.

Currently, I'm thinking of getting a new lense & a flash attachment for my july trip to Europe.
As this is my 1st trip to europe, I would like to take some nice pictures there.
However, I've the faintest idea as to what lens or flash to get.

Would glad appreciate if any of you can help me with my decision making.

Thanks in advance, peeps.;)

Regards,

FallenStarz

I think you will need to bring a tripod along for night photography...

Depends on what lens you currently have. If you have an 18-55, you may want to add a 70-300vr. Or if you don't like to change lenses then the 18-200 vr. A lot of the museums etc don't allow flash photography or tripods so think carefully before you buy/bring those. Also think of the weight of these items.

Hi flipfreak & yatsunil,

Thankyou for your prompt reply.

I'm using a kit lens of 18-55mm at the moment.
What would you suggest as a good lens for the europe trip?

As I most likely not want to bring a tripod along(adds weight to my backpack).
And as for the flash, roughly what price are we looking at for a decent one?
And what are the pros and cons of those u suggested?
Appreicate your kind assistance.

Thankyou:)

TS - a very universal answer, the 18-200VR. its a all rounder lens. flash wise the SB600 should handle most of your needs.

with the 18-200 u just need to bring 1 lens, save trouble and weight, but will cost u. most ppl cant go wrong with this lens.

the 18-200VR should be approx $1.2K-1.5k (was abt 1.2k before the price hike)
SB600 approx $350

Thankyou for ur advice, Nixon.
Any suggestion where to purchase the equipments u mentioned?

And btw, nice pictures you put up at multipy.

:D

If you don't mind 3rd party lens, Tamron 17-50 should be a good one, with constant f2.8.
It depends on your shooting style. If you feel 55 mm is enough for you, no need get longer reach lens.

I personally feel, flash is not necessary for trip. If you do night landscape photo, tripod is always better then flash.

Hi flipfreak & yatsunil,

Thankyou for your prompt reply.

I'm using a kit lens of 18-55mm at the moment.
What would you suggest as a good lens for the europe trip?

As I most likely not want to bring a tripod along(adds weight to my backpack).
And as for the flash, roughly what price are we looking at for a decent one?
And what are the pros and cons of those u suggested?
Appreicate your kind assistance.

Thankyou:)

I've travelled quite a fair bit. Mostly backpacking on my own. I think you will find the Nikon 18-200VR lens most suitable for your purposes. Good enough image quality, good focal range. Personally I do without a tripod or an external flash. For long exposures, brace against a wall or bench or dustbin(!) etc. When I need fill flash I just use the pop up. I also carry the 50/1.8 lens as a backup in case anything happens to my primary lens. Cheap, light and excellent IQ. Spare batteries and memory cards are absolutely neccessary!

TS - a very universal answer, the 18-200VR. its a all rounder lens. flash wise the SB600 should handle most of your needs.

with the 18-200 u just need to bring 1 lens, save trouble and weight, but will cost u. most ppl cant go wrong with this lens.

the 18-200VR should be approx $1.2K-1.5k (was abt 1.2k before the price hike)
SB600 approx $350

Hi,

how abt Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical Field Test?
Do u recommend to purchase this 3rd party len???

Thankyou all for the replies, peeps. :)

Any idea how much will a 50/1.8 lens cost?
Or a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lense cost?
I am thinking of travelling light, so i don't plan to bring more than 2 lens.
So what would be best, considering the fact that i would like to take scenic, as well as the inside of museums, which can be quite dark, according to what heard.

Any idea what are the practical flash attachments to get?
Something not too costly or high-end, yet trusty in terms of usage.

Thanks in advance, folks.

So what would be best, considering the fact that i would like to take scenic, as well as the inside of museums, which can be quite dark, according to what heard.

on bns 50mm f1.8 cost 150
tamron f2.8 cost abt 500...but i dont recommand this to u as u already have 18-55vr

for flash (resale price)
sb400 - 200?
sb 600 -350
sb800 -400

if u really want to travel light.. just grab 18-200mm vr + 50 mm f1.8. forget abt other flashes. pop up flash can suffice for most situations.

Pls remember that the AF 50/1.8D will NOT autofocus on your D40x.

Consider the advantages/disadvantages of the f2.8 of this lens against VR of Nikon lenses like the 16-85 or 18-200

Any of the lenses recommended should be able to take scenics. Remember that tripods and flash are a no-no in all museums.

Just leave out the flash. You prob won't need it much.

Cheers!

Thanks again, yatsunil!
You've been a great help.

For your choice, probably a SB-600 if you intend to shoot more portraits and for night scenes where you wish to illuminate your subjects.

A good tripod would also be a good help for the landscapes and also the longer shitter speed shots, such as slow sync night portrait shots to capture the nice city lights as well in the background.

Hi,

how abt Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical Field Test?
Do u recommend to purchase this 3rd party len???

dont know much about this lens, but one hing for sure is that it got alot of zoom, the highest zoom factor lens thru out all lens maker.

My personal though abt this lens:
at its max focal length 270mm, its F stop quite small at 6.3, will make shooting at its tele end difficult in indoor situation, even with VC also not much help if you are shooting a live subject(ie human or animal) your shutter speed will be very slow and u have subject blur easily. personally unless my camera got very good high ISO performance i wouldnt pick up this lens.

secondly, high zoom factor lens usually suffer at either end of its focal length either the wide or tele end, usually wide, the IQ sharpness, distortion control is not that good.

But then again if i am not so concern abt IQ, as a casual snapper this lens is a very good choice for day use, walk around and shooting scenery to people.

Thankyou for ur advice, Nixon.
Any suggestion where to purchase the equipments u mentioned?

And btw, nice pictures you put up at multipy.

well just try calling up the few recommended shops like CP,AP,MS,OP,john and ask. price differ from shop to shop.

thanks for your comment on my multiply, still long way to go for me

a tamron 17-50 1st hand is approx $600-630, 2nd hand on the BnS is $500-550

as for shooting inside museums, on a D40x, u will seriously need a fast lens, high ISO and super steady hands. cheapest fast lens u can get is the 50mm f1.8 approx $210 now, but this lens being cheap so it IQ is so-so, not really for picky snappers. easy to get chroma abbreviation (bluish purple light along edges of object) the 50mm f1.4 will be best but its price will not be cheap (not too sure but i think its abt $500++ now)

best bet to snap under low light indoor, would be this 50mm lens, but do note its limitation in IQ. on a D40x u should be using as high as ISO 400-800 considering the noise level u can tolerate. and unless u very confident u can shoot at shutter speed like 1/10 or 1/20. D40x is not a strong ISO performer, so low light will be a tough challenge.

I wished I had a DSLR when I went on a trip to Europe, maybe my next trip... but from what I've experienced, I would suggest fast lenses, and a tripod.

There are numrous places where they do not allow flash photography, e.g. Sistine Chapel, museums, etc. This is where fast lenses come into play.

Normally, I would carry a wide angle lens (landscape), a normal lens (general purpose), and a telephoto/macro lens (for more zoom + close up shots).

I've carried a flash on my travels, but i find I do not use them that much.

Thankyou all for replying!

Any shops u folks can recommend that are honest & helpful, as well as having an extensive range of flash & lenses?

As for tripod, what model would be good for backpacking, and why?

Thanks peeps!
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.