Advice Please :)

emowei

Aug 12, 2010
Hi All!

I just bought an Olympus E450 with kit len and this is my first dslr :)

My question is with regards to the filters, like UV filter and all.

What should or do I need to get for the dslr?

Thanks in advance and hoping to learn more from you guys!

I will advise you to get. Serve as a protection to the lens in a way, 2nd is will block off glare to your pictures. Went and get mine 2 days back:D

Mine is a HMC Hoya 52mm UV filter

I will advise you to get. Serve as a protection to the lens in a way, 2nd is will block off glare to your pictures. Went and get mine 2 days back:D

Mine is a HMC Hoya 52mm UV filter

Sorry for my noob question.
I thought all Len come with a cover to protect the Len.
Why need a filter to protect, additional protection when not using?

thanks for the recommendation! how much does it cost? :)

thanks for the recommendation! how much does it cost? :)

I got mine from MS color for $18
Florence give me a discount of $6.(But i buy quite a few item there la;p) Original price was $24.

Price should be around 20++ for a UV filter.

SLR Revo selling a normal filter(serve no effect, just as a protection) for $6
They too have Hoya filter, check with them the price, i remember Ray qoute me 20+ also but i did not get it back when i was getting my DSLR.

Last edited:
that's nice! I need to get a memory card and filter :)

i guess he will know which filter size will fit my lens? :)

really excited, want to get it soon so i can start shooting!! haha.

Class 4 memory card is around $20-25

As for filter size u can check it yourself, should be printed on the lens. Yours should be 58mm?
If you are unsure, bring ur slr down, they will noe which filter size is for your lens.

You don't need a filter to start shooting but you need a memory card >.<

Enjoy! :D

Sorry for my noob question.
I thought all Len come with a cover to protect the Len.
Why need a filter to protect, additional protection when not using?

TS referring to UV filter, CP filter or just a protective filter to add on.. this is to prevent glass damage..

What kind if glare do you expect the filter to block? UV filters are neutral to visible light. But most filters (except a very few) will introduce flare when shooting with strong lights (sun, lamps) in the frame. In such cases it's best to remove the filter.
Keep in mind: lenses are designed to work perfectly fine without any filters.

thanks for your quick and timely reply!! :)

What kind if glare do you expect the filter to block? UV filters are neutral to visible light. But most filters (except a very few) will introduce flare when shooting with strong lights (sun, lamps) in the frame. In such cases it's best to remove the filter.
Keep in mind: lenses are designed to work perfectly fine without any filters.

thanks for enlighten:p

Hi All!

I just bought an Olympus E450 with kit len and this is my first dslr :)

My question is with regards to the filters, like UV filter and all.

What should or do I need to get for the dslr?

You need to get nothing to start shooting great pictures. But you should get those that will help you to take pictures you like.

CPL - if you like to shoot through water or glass a lot (e.g. ponds, aquariums), it ought to help cut down the amount of reflection if used correctly.
ND - if you're into long exposures. A CSer here, night86mare has "poisoned" a lot of people into getting NDs for long exposures due to his pictures. :sweat:
GND - if you're into sunrise/sunsets, although I have a little doubt about its usefulness for Sg's coastline in particular...
UV/protector - get it or not, it's personal preference. It's a whole can of worms here, with some saying don't use, and some saying use. Basically, if you think you'll heartbreak if your lens' front element gets scratched (which shouldn't, if you aren't careless and with appropriate protection using lens hood + cap), then get one, and make sure it's a good one. (B+W, Hoya HMC, Hoya Pro1D etc.)

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
That is really useful information for me :)

Thanks! I shall read up more and find out about the different filters.

You need to get nothing to start shooting great pictures. But you should get those that will help you to take pictures you like.

CPL - if you like to shoot through water or glass a lot (e.g. ponds, aquariums), it ought to help cut down the amount of reflection if used correctly.
ND - if you're into long exposures. A CSer here, night86mare has "poisoned" a lot of people into getting NDs for long exposures due to his pictures. :sweat:
GND - if you're into sunrise/sunsets, although I have a little doubt about its usefulness for Sg's coastline in particular...
UV/protector - get it or not, it's personal preference. It's a whole can of worms here, with some saying don't use, and some saying use. Basically, if you think you'll heartbreak if your lens' front element gets scratched (which shouldn't, if you aren't careless and with appropriate protection using lens hood + cap), then get one, and make sure it's a good one. (B+W, Hoya HMC, Hoya Pro1D etc.)

Hope that helps. :)

and do your homework (on the price) if you intend to shop from those in SxxLxx or Lxxkx Plxxx... ;)

And for the famous blue sky and emphasizing clouds around sunset. Also interesting are the reflections from vegetation when filtered with CPL.

There are alot of things to buy for photography.
But before you set off to grab them, spend a couple of months to start taking photos in various places and occasions. This will let you realise what kind of photography interest you. From there on, you may focus on the gears that may help you to capture better pictures.

woah! this is getting $$$. haha. all the poison!

and do your homework (on the price) if you intend to shop from those in SxxLxx or Lxxkx Plxxx... ;)
Name the shops please, don't generalize. Orient Photo in Sim Lim is listed and known as reputable shop. Some people are able to get good deals in ex-Lord's (now iPhoto) in Lucky Plaza while others get conned in another shop nearby.

one more question! is a dry box or cabinet a must?