Advice Please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

championboxer

Nov 25, 2002
Singapore/Australia
Visit site
Hi guys and gals....
planning to head down to Europe in dec...
probably Rome n Switz...
what lens would be a desirable lens to bring along?
holding a D60 and a 24-70L n a 70-200
should i...
(a) buy another 16-35 n bring this with 24-70L
(b) buy a fisheye n bring this with 24-70L
(c) not necessary to buy and just the 24-70L
(d) not necessary to buy and bring both 24-70L and 70-200

thanks ppl..

Moderator's note:

Thread moved from photo gallery to appropriate forum. Hope you'll get more responses here. :)

i believe your 24-70 is pretty much a must have (at least to me). It offers you relatively wide angle and yet give versatility. If i were you, this toy must be on my cam body all the time...

As for the 16-35, do you really need that wide? is your 24mm restricting you? If yes, and your wallet says yes, go for it.

70-200, i would bring it. Disregarding other intangible stuff, it offers you the range when you need it. But how often will you need it? What kind of shots are you after? Wildlife? For me, i would bring the 70-200 for itimate closeup without being whacked. But would weight be a factor to you?

All in all, if i were you, i would take the 24-70 and the 70-200. Or if you really die die want wide, i would take the 16-35 alongside the 70-200. However, the versatility would be gone without the 24-70. Why is 70-200 is both my combo? because i love closeup human shots. So..it boils down to your shooting preference.

Conclusion: Save the bucks lah! :p Use the moolah to visit more places. That would be much much more fulfilling and you can save your time pondering which lens to get! ;p

He's using a D60, that 24 will be a 38 if im not wrong. so basically he has a 38-100 2.8 wide to telephoto. I'll probably bring a cheap manual russian fish eye (u need AF for fish eye one meh?) if a wider perspective is needed and also the defished panoromics would be nice. Dun think he needs beyond 100mm unless he wanna do landscape portraits in the Swiss Alps, in which case a 2x tcon may work instead.

xdivider said:
He's using a D60, that 24 will be a 38 if im not wrong. so basically he has a 38-100 2.8 wide to telephoto. I'll probably bring a cheap manual russian fish eye (u need AF for fish eye one meh?) if a wider perspective is needed and also the defished panoromics would be nice. Dun think he needs beyond 100mm unless he wanna do landscape portraits in the Swiss Alps, in which case a 2x tcon may work instead.

oops. Forgot the 1.6 factor. my bad. my apologies. i like xdivider's idea of using a wide angle fisheye. Sounds cool!

As for the telephoto, maybe we need know where, and what kind of shots are he prefering. :)

regards

imho u'll b better off getting a 16-35mm or any wide zoom. dat'll prob stay on yr cam most of the time. trust me...

EOS500N said:
imho u'll b better off getting a 16-35mm or any wide zoom. dat'll prob stay on yr cam most of the time. trust me...

Yupe, I agree........ since u are going to Rome or Switzerland, u will probably need the telephoto for Rome and the wide angle for Switzerland....... cos u get to see lots of interesting buildings, scupltures, fountains, stalls, etc in Rome and u need a telephoto to capture the details close up...... Switzerland has fantastic scenery, especially if u are visiting Lucerne.... u'll want to capture as much as u can in one shot..... or u can try panoramic shots on a light tripod and piece them together using Photoshop..... so the wide angle will be particularly useful here...... all these from my experience when I went to Britain......

Actually if u really want to shoot, bring all three lens along lar..... dun carry backup body lor...... bring a digicam backup instead... (borrow light one with up to 4MP) and bring lots and lots of AA batteries cos batteries are awfully expensive in Europe (how about 6 euros for 2 AA Energisers?). Get the battery grip for the D60, it's worth its weight cos of the AA batteries it uses...... easy to find too although can be expensive...... but that's better than not being able to find any suitable batteries cos u are using proprietary ones......

right... maybe i should just use what I have.. which is a 24-70 and a 70-200...
what fish eye is recommended?

btw... know where i can rent a 16-35? heard that one can rent lens... worth it??

thanks guys for your opinions....
really a headache trying to plan this trip... moreover its a honeymoon.. ha...

championboxer said:
right... maybe i should just use what I have.. which is a 24-70 and a 70-200...
what fish eye is recommended?

btw... know where i can rent a 16-35? heard that one can rent lens... worth it??

thanks guys for your opinions....
really a headache trying to plan this trip... moreover its a honeymoon.. ha...

If u are getting new, U could either try getting the sigma 15 2.8 fish which will give u AF at ard 600, or try looking in peninsular plaza for the zenitar or a mf sigma fish for ard 300.

xdivider said:
If u are getting new, U could either try getting the sigma 15 2.8 fish which will give u AF at ard 600, or try looking in peninsular plaza for the zenitar or a mf sigma fish for ard 300.

He' asking for lens rental services...... I doubt that u can get that in S'pore. The next best thing is to buy 2nd hand, use it, and then resell it for a small loss...... take the difference as the rental charge. Or u can take the risk and go to Europe and look for a camera rental shop and hope they have the lens and the particular mount that u need......, u are using a D60 which is a Canon, so I dun really anticipate much problems getting the lens......

TME said:
Get the battery grip for the D60, it's worth its weight cos of the AA batteries it uses...... easy to find too although can be expensive...... but that's better than not being able to find any suitable batteries cos u are using proprietary ones......

D60's battery grip uses AA batteries? Thought it's using 2x lithium?

mpenza said:
D60's battery grip uses AA batteries? Thought it's using 2x lithium?

Hmm. I'm assuming that it does...... that's the purpose of a battery grip anyway..... to provide for AA battery use right? 4 AAs last longer than 2 CR Lithiums or at least is cheaper...... at any rate Minolta's battery grips all provide for AA batteries usage.....

TME said:
Hmm. I'm assuming that it does...... that's the purpose of a battery grip anyway..... to provide for AA battery use right? 4 AAs last longer than 2 CR Lithiums or at least is cheaper...... at any rate Minolta's battery grips all provide for AA batteries usage.....

I think D60 using BG-ED3, which does not accept AA batteries... just 2x BP511 as mpenza pointed out. Bad huh? They should make it to be able to take in AAs like you said...

Fisheye lens should be good in Rome for indoor shoots especially Michaelangelo's works on the Pope's ceiling...

Since you going all the way to europe, why not bring all the lens you can lay your hands on, and loads of storage, like image tank or nixvue digital album... So that you can shoot worry free.

iz_k said:
I think D60 using BG-ED3, which does not accept AA batteries... just 2x BP511 as mpenza pointed out. Bad huh? They should make it to be able to take in AAs like you said...

Fisheye lens should be good in Rome for indoor shoots especially Michaelangelo's works on the Pope's ceiling...

Since you going all the way to europe, why not bring all the lens you can lay your hands on, and loads of storage, like image tank or nixvue digital album... So that you can shoot worry free.

OIC....... that's bad..... getting those batts in Europe would be really ex.......

Do go to the Sistine Chapel, BUT puleasssse... dun use flash hor!! Protect the wonderful works for future generations...... the flash will kill the fragile frescos... I say this cos when my parents were in the Versaille palace in France, notices were put up saying pics could be taken without flash but loads of tourists with P&S compacts were shooting merrily with flash...... to the detriment of all the artefacts in the palace..... it just happens all over the world.......... sighz... anyway, just a gentle reminder....... a fav grouse of mine... thanks!

TME said:
He' asking for lens rental services...... I doubt that u can get that in S'pore. The next best thing is to buy 2nd hand, use it, and then resell it for a small loss...... take the difference as the rental charge. Or u can take the risk and go to Europe and look for a camera rental shop and hope they have the lens and the particular mount that u need......, u are using a D60 which is a Canon, so I dun really anticipate much problems getting the lens......

I tot his options were buying a fisheye or renting a 16-35?

xdivider said:
I tot his options were buying a fisheye or renting a 16-35?

It appears that he is buying a fish lens just for the trip, and doesn't seem like he's going to use anyhow after the trip.. so rental would be best for him........ thought that was his objective....... maybe I got it wrong...... :D

Championboxer??

Status
Not open for further replies.