Advice please regarding lens servicing! many thanks!

hereiam436

Mar 29, 2009
Hi All,

I have a 1680ZA lens for years and seldom used but always kept in dry box. Recently I found there was some minor fungus on the front element, and then I sent to Sony for servicing. Today the service staff called me and advised that the fungus cannot be cleaned, and the only way is to replace the front element which costs 285 sgd, which I found a bit expensive. I admit it was my own fault that not taking good care of the lens, and just wondering is the price quoted by Sony reasonable? Is it worth it to replace for $285 or not cuz the 2nd hand 1680ZA lens only worth few hundred bucks only..

And since the fungus is not that much, is it possible to clean up maybe at other lens servicing shops? So that don't need to replace the front element which may save a lot. If so, is there any recommendations please?

Thanks for the advice in advance, I haven't serviced any lens before, your advice is much appreciated!

Regards,

contact bro fatigue of CS

Thanks shierwin and alwaysjerricky for the reply! have sent a PM to bro Fatigue, waiting for his response :) thanks!