Advice on what digicam to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeVile

May 12, 2003
Visit site
Hi i am a real NEWBIE when it comes to photography. Anyway i am planning to go to New Zealand next week and thinking of gettting a digital camera which is good enough to take clear pictures as in when the pictures are developed they will look good. Yes yes i am a novice.. :> So my budget is ard 300-400 and so far for that kinda range i am thinking that the best option is to buy a canon powershot A40 rite??? ANd do u guys have any gd place to recommend where the digital camera is the cheapest or at least reasonable? Also, for my budget what brand and model do u think is the best choice... HeLp is greatly appreciated...thanks~

Originally posted by DeVile
Hi i am a real NEWBIE when it comes to photography. Anyway i am planning to go to New Zealand next week and thinking of gettting a digital camera which is good enough to take clear pictures as in when the pictures are developed they will look good. Yes yes i am a novice.. :> So my budget is ard 300-400 and so far for that kinda range i am thinking that the best option is to buy a canon powershot A40 rite??? ANd do u guys have any gd place to recommend where the digital camera is the cheapest or at least reasonable? Also, for my budget what brand and model do u think is the best choice... HeLp is greatly appreciated...thanks~

A40 appears to be discontinued.

the current budget camera Canon has are the A300, A60 and A70.

As A70 is a 3.2 mega pixel camera, it's above $500.

So you should be looking at A60 or A300.

I suggest A60. It's abt $400+, try asking for the price using the on-line quotation at the following websites.

They offer pretty good prices. ;)

www.mscolor.com.sg
www.cathayphoto.com.sg
www.alanphoto.com.sg

The A## Series digicam are all having plastic tripod sockets. If you use tripod often, save up for a G3 instead.

Let say for A60, You'll need to have a budget for the below

1) A60 only, $400+
2) 128 CF Card , $80?

Optional, Rechargable batteries & charger

You'll easily hit the $500 mark if you include rechargable batteries and charger.

If your budget is really tight, I think you can look at those 2nd Hand A40s offering in the "Buy & Sell" Forum

Hi i am a real NEWBIE when it comes to photography. Anyway i am planning to go to New Zealand next week and thinking of gettting a digital camera which is good enough to take clear pictures .....the best option is to buy a canon powershot A40 rite???

Hi, working with that budget is tight, and for a long trip, the other consideration is storage. 1 card may not be enough.

Winston's recommendation is good, and will be a better bet in the long run than the A40. As a starter, you will need at least 2-3 sets of rechargeables (about $25), a charger (from $30 onwards), and CF cards ($130 for 256MB card, suggest you get 2 pieces of 128MB for about $70 each).

As for storage, if you are bringing along a laptop, then no problem. You could upload the images from the camera to the laptop at the end of each day. Chances are however, you will not bring one along for both weight and security considerations.

If you are really tight in budget, the best way is to borrow an extra card from friends, as you may not need to use 1GB of CF cards after your trip. And buying a portable storage bin for at least $300 may not serve a purpose after the trip. :)

HMmm...thanks a lot for all the friendly advice.....well guess hab to expand my budget liao.....lol.

there are a couple of mass orders around u could make use of the chance to get some good deals

also if budget is real tight go for a second hand

HMmm...thanks a lot for all the friendly advice.....well guess hab to expand my budget liao.....lol.

You really don't need a big one (budget I mean).

A 2MP camera like the Canon's A60 is a good start. Costs about $400+

Add in a 256Mb CF is more than enough (abt $90-100), A 256MB CF will give a few hundred shots with a 2MP camera.
(At MAX 1600 x 1200 resolution, it's less than 1 Mb per file)

As for batteries can get the Sanyo 2100mA, get about 8 or (2 sets of 4) which at full charge, will give you several hours of continous shooting.

At the end of the day, you can recharge them overnight with a fast charger in the hotel room.
(Mine took abt 3.5 hours to full charge a set of 4 x Sanyo 2100mA)

anyone can comment on whether i should get canon power shot a 300??its cheaper and is at 3.12mp?so its better than a60??

anyone can comment on whether i should get canon power shot a 300??its cheaper and is at 3.12mp?so its better than a60??

It's got No optical zoom.

Status
Not open for further replies.