Advice on wedding day shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenStarz

Oct 8, 2007
Hi folks,

My close cousin, Noel, is getting married end of this month, would appreciate some advice on what would be a good lens for wedding shot(gate-crashing & wedding dinner), as well as flash attachment for the event?

Considering the limited space(bride's house, corridor etc), possible low lighting situation(dinner at hotel's restaurant, reception area etc).

Also, if there's anything i should take note of, any interesting angle suggestion, techniques or tricks to take more beautiful shots?

Lastly, what are some of the settings I should utilise or try, given the above scenario?

Thanks a million! :)

Last edited:
Since you don't know what you're doing, I suggest using the kit lens, set your camera to "Auto" and use any flash that fits your camera.

Hi folks,

My close cousin, Noel, is getting married end of this month, would appreciate some advice on what would be a good lens for wedding shot(gate-crashing & wedding dinner), as well as flash attachment for the event?

Considering the limited space(bride's house, corridor etc), possible low lighting situation(dinner at hotel's restaurant, reception area etc).

Also, if there's anything i should take note of, any interesting angle suggestion, techniques or tricks to take more beautiful shots?

Lastly, what are some of the settings I should utilise or try, given the above scenario?

Thanks a million! :)

Are you the official photographer?

A F/2.8 lens would be good. Flash is definite to have.
If you are secondary photographer, then shoot from different view as main photographer to capture those shots that he missed but don't block him or appear in his photo.

If you're not the official photographer, try to stay out of their way? Since the pro will be taking a lot of the classic shots, you could focus on more intimate/candid shots? Oh and Congratulations to your cousin.

Still, same lesson. :p
she is not a local and it is not a typical local wedding. I'm suspecting it could be just like a simple gathering.

anyway this lady already make up her mind. all I can said is

"go in peace.........................., if got any problem please don't come back and tell me."

Thanx for your replies, folks.

I'm not the official photog for the day, but I reckon I have to start somewhere if I were to learn anything about photography so any kind advices would be very welcome.

thanx again.

what camera you use?

should be thinking what composition you want to get...how to get will come along shortly.

still early so can rent whatever you need.

Thanx Reportage!
I'm using D40x at the moment.
So what type of flash or lens do u tink i should use?

Thanx Reportage!
I'm using D40x at the moment.
So what type of flash or lens do u tink i should use?

Do you know how to control and deal with a narrow DOF if you use a large aperture lens?

You may want to just stick to your kit lens for most shots. Get/rent a 50mm f/1.8 or something in the similar range for portrait shots. An SB-400 or 600 will do as a flash.

D40..no built in motor so can only use lenses with built in motor. Speed is so so. anti-shake also depends on lens. If not for the fact can change lens and use external flash, i do think there are better value compacts for the price.

What i would recommend is a D90 with 18-200 VR + SB600 can already but only if you are willing to rent. Since there will be a official photographer to take care of the proceedings, just take your camera for snapshots...though a 30-ish mm prime lens would be nice. A 50mm F1/8 will do and its cheap enough that you can simply add to your collection if you know when to use prime lens.

Last edited:
Do you know how to control and deal with a narrow DOF if you use a large aperture lens?

You may want to just stick to your kit lens for most shots. Get/rent a 50mm f/1.8 or something in the similar range for portrait shots. An SB-400 or 600 will do as a flash.

Wow... don't think i know anything about controlling DOF with a large aperture lenses.. would standing nearer helps?

Pardon my lack of knowledge.. :embrass:

Wow... don't think i know anything about controlling DOF with a large aperture lenses.. would standing nearer helps?

Pardon my lack of knowledge.. :embrass:

Well, unless you get/rent the more expensive lenses, you'd need to manual focus anyway due to the limitation of your camera body.

With just about a week to go. I guess mounting your kit lens and putting to P mode with a flash and shoot away would be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.