Advice on tripod(Manfrotto 055CLB or 190CLB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron80

Mar 29, 2006
North
www.flickr.com
Hi guys, I wish to get a tripod, camera will be D50 plus normal lens(not those bazooka lens). Which tripod will be a better choice and what is their price like? I called CathayPhoto and a few other shops but they don't hold stocks liao.. Said must wait till July. I am thinking of getting a used one at B&S, my budget is around 100-140(tripod with head).. Any1 can advise? Thanks..:)

Buy a 190.

If you feel strong, get a 055.

Its pretty hard to find these tripod used now... hardly anyone is selling.

Thanks for the advice solarii, I dunno much about tripod.. I have a tripod, but it cant even support my D50 with kit lens.. Its those $20+ typical tripod, used to use it for my pns.. Ya I understand 055 is heavier than 190, but 055 can raise to a max height of 178cm compared to 190 145cm. In your opinion, do we usually use tripod to the height of 178cm? Sorry coz I really not familiar with this.. Thats why I want to see which will be a better future-proof purchase(I just get a good one and dun intend to change liao)..

And what kind of tripod head is recommended? I will be using the tripod mainly for night scenery, landscape shots.. Do I get a 3-way head or ball head? I was thinking of the 029(the standard head)..

solarii said:
Buy a 190.

If you feel strong, get a 055.

Its pretty hard to find these tripod used now... hardly anyone is selling.

145cm is good for normal average use / human. you wun be able to view thru the viewfinder of d50 is you are rising your tripod to 178cm unless you are 190cm or you are stepping on things/ladder.
and yes do consider the weight of tripod as well. if you find it too heavy after you bought it home, chances that you will bring out will be low.

Ic.. Thanks ExplorerZ.. I understand what u mean.. Heavy tripod can be a real pain..

ExplorerZ said:
145cm is good for normal average use / human. you wun be able to view thru the viewfinder of d50 is you are rising your tripod to 178cm unless you are 190cm or you are stepping on things/ladder.
and yes do consider the weight of tripod as well. if you find it too heavy after you bought it home, chances that you will bring out will be low.

aaron80 said:
Thanks for the advice solarii, I dunno much about tripod.. I have a tripod, but it cant even support my D50 with kit lens.. Its those $20+ typical tripod, used to use it for my pns.. Ya I understand 055 is heavier than 190, but 055 can raise to a max height of 178cm compared to 190 145cm. In your opinion, do we usually use tripod to the height of 178cm? Sorry coz I really not familiar with this.. Thats why I want to see which will be a better future-proof purchase(I just get a good one and dun intend to change liao)..

And what kind of tripod head is recommended? I will be using the tripod mainly for night scenery, landscape shots.. Do I get a 3-way head or ball head? I was thinking of the 029(the standard head)..

First of all, I'm 175cm. If I raise the tripod to 178cm + head + the camera's own 15cm, what am I supposed to see??:bsmilie:

So no. At least I don't use it at 178cm. Not that my tripod could go there assuming I wanted to.

Get a ball head...try the 486.

Thanks for the advice! :) Think I will get a 190 plus a 486 ball head. U know roughly how much the 486 costs and where I can get it? I think Cathayphoto dun have.. And hope I can get a 190 in B&S too..

solarii said:
First of all, I'm 175cm. If I raise the tripod to 178cm + head + the camera's own 15cm, what am I supposed to see??:bsmilie:

So no. At least I don't use it at 178cm. Not that my tripod could go there assuming I wanted to.

Get a ball head...try the 486.

Last I remember, the Manfrotto 486 RC2 costs about $135. Stuff on BnS very seasonal... a few mths back loads of 055 were on sale there... now almost none... ballheads are even rarer... even then, you'd have to look real hard to get a good deal for the 486 RC2, you're better of waiting a month or so till CP get's stock (a word of advise, it's cheaper to get at MS Color, ~$5 less for the 486, not a biggie, but if you live near AMK, why not?).

Dont get the 055. It's just too heavy for a walk arnd tripod but it's very stable :thumbsup:

My 055 + 486RC2 combo is arnd 3+kg :sweat:

Ya I rem a few months back saw quite a few at B&S, now seems dun have liao, only the occasional Slik.. Does MS Color carries the tripod as well or only the head? Coz if cannot find one at B&S, I dunno where to get liao.. Must wait till July then CP has stocks...

mephesto said:
Last I remember, the Manfrotto 486 RC2 costs about $135. Stuff on BnS very seasonal... a few mths back loads of 055 were on sale there... now almost none... ballheads are even rarer... even then, you'd have to look real hard to get a good deal for the 486 RC2, you're better of waiting a month or so till CP get's stock (a word of advise, it's cheaper to get at MS Color, ~$5 less for the 486, not a biggie, but if you live near AMK, why not?).

Ya I understand a heavy load can really deter u from bringing the tripod out.. Hehe.. I am thinking of getting the 190 + 486, which should be lighter.. Anyway whats the difference between the normal 486 n 486RC2?

Klose said:
Dont get the 055. It's just too heavy for a walk arnd tripod but it's very stable :thumbsup:

My 055 + 486RC2 combo is arnd 3+kg :sweat:

aaron80 said:
Ya I understand a heavy load can really deter u from bringing the tripod out.. Hehe.. I can thinking of getting the 190 + 486, which should be lighter.. Anyway whats the difference between the normal 486 n 486RC2?

Normal one does not have the quick release.

MS color also should have the tripods as well, but I'd think they'd probably be out of stock as well. Best to call them before hand to ask.

aaron80 said:
Ya I understand a heavy load can really deter u from bringing the tripod out.. Hehe.. I am thinking of getting the 190 + 486, which should be lighter.. Anyway whats the difference between the normal 486 n 486RC2?
190 is not exactly light, but however, it still is lighter (& shorter) than the 055.

Both tripods are not tripods that you'd want to lug around the whole day.

Called MS Color, seems like they dun have any manfrotto tripods stocks also..:( Any1 knows where can still find manfrotto tripods anot?

mephesto said:
MS color also should have the tripods as well, but I'd think they'd probably be out of stock as well. Best to call them before hand to ask.

espn said:
190 is not exactly light, but however, it still is lighter (& shorter) than the 055.

Both tripods are not tripods that you'd want to lug around the whole day.

You can trust me on that... I had one (a 190CLB) on loan (actually it's still with me.. hehe) and it's not fun to carry around. Especially with a 486RC2 on...

aaron80 said:
Called MS Color, seems like they dun have any manfrotto tripods stocks also..:( Any1 knows where can still find manfrotto tripods anot?

u might be hard-press to find new manfrottos cos their singapore agent has stopped distributing them. think u still can find an odd piece or 2 at CP.

anyway, unless u are constantly using a heavy lens + heavy cam setup, 055 is a really back-breaker to carry ard. i had it b4 when i still had my MF camera.... but, like espn said, i left the tripod at home more often than carry it out. in the end, i sold it off for the 190D... and even now, i'm selling dat off to get something lighter for family use! :bsmilie:

still, the 190-series is one of the lighter-but-stable platforms ard fm manfrotto. :)

MS color are getting new manfrotto stock, but only from july i hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.