Advice on Street Photography

hanas

Jan 8, 2018
SG
Hi! Any advice on doing street photography? I get really nervous taking my camera out in public to do street. So far, the most "street" photography I have done are at events where there are people also taking photographs so it won't be out of the norm.

Hello,
What advice are you seeking? Equipment choice, technicals, techniques, creativity (how to see)?

Equipment: almost any camera/lens will do as street photography is not a demanding genre gear-wise and strength of content will always trump image quality in this genre. However, things happen very quickly and the moment may be lost in the blink of an eye. So equipment shouldn't slow you down and you need to train yourself to operate what you have very quickly.
Fast startup/operations, ability to change settings quickly (without menu diving), fast AF (or no AF at all if you shoot at hyperfocal distance), lag-free VF etc. are all good attributes.
Many street photographers like to go undetected so having a small discreet setup can help draw less attention to yourself. Even if you're a street photographer who likes to engage your subjects, smaller lenses can be less imposing.
Focal length can run anything from wides to telephotos depending on your style. But generally speaking, the wider you go the closer you need to get to your subject. So if you're shy, maybe start with a longer focal length.

Technicals: need to get more specific and best way to help is to critique images you post up, if you feel comfortable putting up some of your shots.

Some techniques:
Shoot further away with a telephoto to isolate
Shoot with a shallow DOF to isolate
Shoot closer and wider to give greater context of subject with environment
Shoot using hyperfocal distance to get as many things in focus.
Shoot from the hips (maybe presetting at hyperfocal distance)
Shoot wide and hold position for longer than necessary to not give away when you took the shot
Engage your subject and ask to shoot them
Shoot fast and keep moving
Anticipate a shot, preframe and wait
Shoot in a BW mode (if you're using an EVF or rear LCD) to help visualize geometry and contrast
There are really too many to list. Just try them out and practice.

It really helps to observe some experienced photographers going about their craft.
This is a video of Steve McCurry and you learn a lot just observing him.

Reactions: Ah Keong
Hello,
What advice are you seeking? Equipment choice, technicals, techniques, creativity (how to see)?

Equipment: almost any camera/lens will do as street photography is not a demanding genre gear-wise and strength of content will always trump image quality in this genre. However, things happen very quickly and the moment may be lost in the blink of an eye. So equipment shouldn't slow you down and you need to train yourself to operate what you have very quickly.
Fast startup/operations, ability to change settings quickly (without menu diving), fast AF (or no AF at all if you shoot at hyperfocal distance), lag-free VF etc. are all good attributes.
Many street photographers like to go undetected so having a small discreet setup can help draw less attention to yourself. Even if you're a street photographer who likes to engage your subjects, smaller lenses can be less imposing.
Focal length can run anything from wides to telephotos depending on your style. But generally speaking, the wider you go the closer you need to get to your subject. So if you're shy, maybe start with a longer focal length.

Technicals: need to get more specific and best way to help is to critique images you post up, if you feel comfortable putting up some of your shots.

Some techniques:
Shoot further away with a telephoto to isolate
Shoot with a shallow DOF to isolate
Shoot closer and wider to give greater context of subject with environment
Shoot using hyperfocal distance to get as many things in focus.
Shoot from the hips (maybe presetting at hyperfocal distance)
Shoot wide and hold position for longer than necessary to not give away when you took the shot
Engage your subject and ask to shoot them
Shoot fast and keep moving
Anticipate a shot, preframe and wait
Shoot in a BW mode (if you're using an EVF or rear LCD) to help visualize geometry and contrast
There are really too many to list. Just try them out and practice.

It really helps to observe some experienced photographers going about their craft.
This is a video of Steve McCurry and you learn a lot just observing him.

Thanks for the tips. Mostly technique and composition and also getting over the fear of taking photos of people in public. I use a fuji x100 series camera so it small and discrete enough. I have not tried shooting at the hips yet so I'll give that a try on my next walk about.

X100's a great choice. Try using hyperfocal distance in good light if you haven't already tried.
Eg. f8, set focus distance to 3.3m then everything from 1.65 to infinity is in focus.
So you won't have to worry about focusing at all, just raise the camera to your eye to compose and shoot.
That way you put all your concentration into your composition.
But make sure the resultant shutter speeds are adequate, otherwise up the ISO or use auto ISO.

Hi, some suggestions:
1. Work fast, once you see an interesting scene, take your shots quickly and move on. the decisive moment will not wait for you.
2. Be friendly and smile if possible, this will make people less hostile to you taking photos of them
3. Go in close whenever possible..."if your photo is not good enough, you are not close enough"
4. Don't get overly stressed out over not getting that once in a million street photo, failure is the norm, enjoy the process and shoot a lot to get a chance of a few keepers.
5. Look at good street photos online that you admire and try to replicate them in your own way.

To build confidence, some pointers would be:
1) Make uninterrupted eye contact with someone you know for 60 seconds
- Stand straight looking at them, toes touching, no laughing, no smiling and talking for 60 seconds. Deeply gaze into their eyes, note the eye color, don't look away.
There is no need to feel awkward, ashamed or embarrassed. Nothing bad will happen. The world isn't going to explode, you won't die, the world would continue to spin, and everything will be okay.

2) make small talk with a tough-looking stranger
- Try to chat up, talk about anything, weather, soccer, hows their day. ("How's life boss?" Hi pretty, how have you been?" This would train in breaking up preconceived assumptions or shattering up stereotypes of other people.
If you have time, try to learn deeper about them, interest or hobbies, passion, etc.
Worst case-scenario is the guy / girl tell you to F*** off. Just reply "Sure! No problem" and move on. At least you have the strength, confidence and courage to take negative talk as well. The fear of rejection is often worse than the actual rejection

To improve street photography, you need to learn how to love rejection, and to love risk-taking.

have fun shooting!~

Thanks for the tips! especially on building confidence. I get anxiety attacks just by having my camera out in public. The weather hasn't been good the past few days so I'll them our on the weekend.

Don’t let bad weather put you off. Some of the best street shots were taken in bad weather!

Reactions: swifty
eh, small camera helps, acting sheepish like a tourist helps brings out ones uninhibited look, make it short and fast
don't be a douche who aims the lens directly at someone and standing still for a long while aiming at somebody, it's rude and disrespectful, I'v seen a lot of those.
if you're so shy just get a zoom.
last street I shot around 3deg typhoon and storm in Japan, hairs and umbrellas flying, I stood there unflinched. Plus people there are super camera shy unless you warm up to them by speaking Japanese and intro yourself.

If you are feeling brave shoot Bruce Gilden style right in ppl’s faces with flash.

Start simple. Go where people there are lots of people and lots of photos being taken - the pasar malam at Geylang Serai for example? (I haven't gone yet, and don't if it's good) Don't go all hardcore and start with Geylang streetwalkers and loan sharks. Build from there.|

Everyone has their own technique and gear, you have to find what works for you. Depending on the situation, if someone glares at me after I take a shot, I smile, walk away, or bring the camera down and look beyond them (as if I'm aiming behind them). It's all very personal -- if your best smile is like a buaya, don't use it.

Yup! Thanks for the tips. I plan on walking around the bazaar and around geylang to shoot.

An advice when I shoot events or go on the streets.. Set you mode to A or P mode.

Aperture Mode is good when you are looking to do "street portraits" as it adjusts the shutter speed to match your exposure that you've set.
Programe mode for the exposure to be constant (varying shutter speed and aperture).

Reactions: Ah Keong
I also use P mode when shooting events or on streets!
I would set a suitable ISO and then override the "recommended" aperture or shutter speed if necessary before pressing the shutter.

Manual mode more suitable for still life, portraits or studio environment.
During events need to have smth constant if not sure jia lat. Same for street, i area shaded vs next area sunny.

Manual mode more suitable for still life, portraits or studio environment.
During events need to have smth constant if not sure jia lat. Same for street, i area shaded vs next area sunny.

agree!~