Advice on rechargeable batteries (AA) for flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragnatic

Jan 24, 2008
Serangoon, Singapore
hi all, im new here, so if i've posted it in the wrong section, admins/mos pls help me move. thx.

back to my question. i'm trying to find out which brand/model of AA sized rechargeable batteries would be the best in the market. i'm using it for my 580EX II. (i understand that the flash has fast refresh rates, such that if lower powered batteries were used, the refresh is still quite fast)

havent used AA sized rechargeable batteries for a long long time, so i'm not sure of wad are the better brands/models out there now. any1 can share ur experience with the batteries u used? or recommend me some of the better ones?

of cos im looking for one that has high power and able to last (in terms of battery life per charge, and battery life after constant usage),

TIA.

Plenty of old threads actually... look them up, most would either reccomend PowerEx or the Sanyo's Enelop.

Personally I like the PowerEx, long lasting and much cooler in use as opposed to the Sanyo normal rechargeables...

Have not tried the Enelop ones though... it's only good for keeping with low discharge rate.

Plenty of old threads actually... look them up, most would either reccomend PowerEx or the Sanyo's Enelop.

Personally I like the PowerEx, long lasting and much cooler in use as opposed to the Sanyo normal rechargeables...

Have not tried the Enelop ones though... it's only good for keeping with low discharge rate.

thanks for such a quick reply.
i actually did a search, but with little results. ok maybe i didnt really look at those old old threads; but im trying to find out the performance of newer batteries.

hi all, im new here, so if i've posted it in the wrong section, admins/mos pls help me move. thx.

back to my question. i'm trying to find out which brand/model of AA sized rechargeable batteries would be the best in the market. i'm using it for my 580EX II. (i understand that the flash has fast refresh rates, such that if lower powered batteries were used, the refresh is still quite fast)

havent used AA sized rechargeable batteries for a long long time, so i'm not sure of wad are the better brands/models out there now. any1 can share ur experience with the batteries u used? or recommend me some of the better ones?

of cos im looking for one that has high power and able to last (in terms of battery life per charge, and battery life after constant usage),

TIA.

im using eneloop. pretty decent. but then if u gonna use it for rapid shots, u will still need an external battery.

How often do you shoot with flash? Also, do you have time to recharge during the shoot with flash?

If you shoot seldom and have time to recharge during the shoot, any branded batteries will do.

If you shoot seldom and do not have time to recharge, either the Eneloop or the GP Ryoko (?) will keep longer on-the-shelf.

If you shoot often (eg. => 2x per week) and have time to recharge, the GP 2500/2700 will do, but get 3 sets (12 batts).

If you shoot often and do not have time to recharge, consider getting the external battery pack (CP-M4?) for the 580EXII and get 5 sets (20 batts) of the GP 2500/2700. The recycle time and the number of shots significantly improves with the external battery pack. Be sure to set the custom function to use the external battery pack only for recycling the flash and reserving the internal batteries to power the electronics of the 580EXII.

Sanyo's 2500/2700 on-the-shelf life doesn't last more than 10 days, so I avoid them.

Hope this helps.

How often do you shoot with flash? Also, do you have time to recharge during the shoot with flash?

If you shoot seldom and have time to recharge during the shoot, any branded batteries will do.

If you shoot seldom and do not have time to recharge, either the Eneloop or the GP Ryoko (?) will keep longer on-the-shelf.

If you shoot often (eg. => 2x per week) and have time to recharge, the GP 2500/2700 will do, but get 3 sets (12 batts).

If you shoot often and do not have time to recharge, consider getting the external battery pack (CP-M4?) for the 580EXII and get 5 sets (20 batts) of the GP 2500/2700. The recycle time and the number of shots significantly improves with the external battery pack. Be sure to set the custom function to use the external battery pack only for recycling the flash and reserving the internal batteries to power the electronics of the 580EXII.

Sanyo's 2500/2700 on-the-shelf life doesn't last more than 10 days, so I avoid them.

Hope this helps.

oooh.. that really helps. thanks.
i guess i might get the eneloop or the recyko+ (<-- think it's spelt this way). i don't think i'll need the ext batt pack.

cos i'm working with my frens as freelance photog for wedding AD, but now its the slack period, so i seldom shoot. but sometimes i have some ad-hoc outings and stuff that require me to use my flash, so i guess the eneloop or the recyko+ would be the best then?

just a question, do the eneloop or the recyko+ have high capacity that can last during long shoots with frequent flash usage? cos wedding AD its like a whole day event (with afternoon break). i won't like to keep changing batteries like in the morning event or during the night wedding banquet. which of the 2 would perform better in this case?

I believe the Eneloops are 2000 mAH and that's the max currently.

No choice but to get 3 sets if you do all day shoot. If you push to ISO 400, it won't drain the flash as fast.

Though I do use rechargeables, I will ALWAYS, I mean ALWAYS, carry the alkaline batteries for spare just in case................

I have to agree with this. I'm using Sony 2100 and 2700 anyway. Quite fast recyling also

oooh.. that really helps. thanks.
i guess i might get the eneloop or the recyko+ (<-- think it's spelt this way). i don't think i'll need the ext batt pack.

cos i'm working with my frens as freelance photog for wedding AD, but now its the slack period, so i seldom shoot. but sometimes i have some ad-hoc outings and stuff that require me to use my flash, so i guess the eneloop or the recyko+ would be the best then?

just a question, do the eneloop or the recyko+ have high capacity that can last during long shoots with frequent flash usage? cos wedding AD its like a whole day event (with afternoon break). i won't like to keep changing batteries like in the morning event or during the night wedding banquet. which of the 2 would perform better in this case?

For actual day weddings I sometimes use up to 5 sets of batteries.

With AD weddings, go for as high mAh as possible.

I'm using 2700mAh and still I can run thru about 2 sets for just a dinner shoot, just to get a fast shutter speed. You may require about 4 sets for a single day without recharging.

Else you may want to consider using external battery packs.

If you are a casual shooter, i.e. you don't use flash on a very frequent basis and the recycling time is not so critical, you are better off with the Sanyo Eneloop or equivalent. Despite their lower capacity, they hold their charge very well and you can use them after a prolonged period of them.

On the other hand, if you require flash in most of your shots, you should consider the higher capacity ones, i.e. 2700 mAH or higher. Powerex is a good choice. Do remember that they don't retain their charge for a long time and after some time, even without using, the batteries will go flat.

Choose the batteries according to your need. As these batteries are not too expensive, I keep some of each type and use them according to circumstances.

Maybe get 2 sets of powerex 2700 and 2 sets of the eneloop type... thats my combination right now... eneloop are a real life saver when you forget to charge the normal nimh...

And i'm not a supporter of rapid charging.... kills the batts prematurely... :nono:

Maybe get 2 sets of powerex 2700 and 2 sets of the eneloop type... thats my combination right now... eneloop are a real life saver when you forget to charge the normal nimh...

And i'm not a supporter of rapid charging.... kills the batts prematurely... :nono:

that's wad i was thinking.

same here, i rather let my batteries charge overnight like for 5-8hrs than quick charge. and i usu. discharge them then recharge (even thou some batt claims to have no memory effect). well, at least tt's wad i did for my rechargeable batts long long time ago with my old PnS.

Covered events for my alma mater, Fairfield Methodist Sec.

Recently covered the orientation this year, where I had to blast flash indoors, on ISO 1600 in the school hall.

Was using Powerex batteries. Glad to say, I never had to use my spare set of batteries.

i used varta ..
not bad imo ....

I am using Varta 15 mins recharge battery, only need 15 mins for charging. So far so good. Having two set (8 Batteries), shoot about 400 images in 3 hours. quick recycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.