Advice on Portrait Shots?

danskie76

Oct 22, 2010
Singapore
Any recommendation on settings and gears for taking portraits (closed up colour, and in black n white?).
Thanks!

Any recommendation on settings and gears for taking portraits (closed up colour, and in black n white?).
Thanks!

This is a gallery section. You should be posting this in the newbies corner, where you can read the newbies guide.

FYI, there are numerous online guides on "tips for portrait photography".

I have a question: Wouldn't be a 50mm f1.4 be the most ideal for taking portraits? Besides the Lens, how about what is the best optimal settings for portraits? ISO, huge depth of view, no flash? and WB? I reckon for portraits, the best is to have the subject shot at high contrast be it in colour or Black and white?

I have a question: Wouldn't be a 50mm f1.4 be the most ideal for taking portraits? Besides the Lens, how about what is the best optimal settings for portraits? ISO, huge depth of view, no flash? and WB? I reckon for portraits, the best is to have the subject shot at high contrast be it in colour or Black and white?

1. No, you can use any lens you want to, it depends on the effect you want. Focal length will affect perspective. Some people also shoot at 16mm, some at 200mm.
2. Depth of view? No such thing. You mean depth of field? Generally people want a thin depth of field, not a deep one.
3. Flash/no flash: Depends on the lighting and the shot you want.
4. ISO: Depends on the lighting and the effect you want.
5. White Balance: Depends on the lighting conditions where you are.
6. Contrast: Up to you and your style.

You are looking for a magic formula where there is none. All of your questions are dependent on your photographic style, and are things you should determine on your own.

There are dozens of online articles about portrait photography, and books in the library too. Start reading.

last line removed.
Post edited by mod.

Last edited:
As it is said, there is no perfect camera or lens or setting. Click as you like, click again if you don't like :)

FYI, I use 35mm f1.8 for my portraits and in general. Auto ISO (max 1600), auto wb. And pp later.

Photography is like cooking; lots of variables

If a professional photographer pass you all his gears or the celebrity chef writes down all his recipes, one will still not master everything

It's a combination of technique and knowledge gainned by hands on experiences

You could get The Digital Photography Book volume 1-4 by Scott Kelby also. Quite a good read and i find it quite helpful.

grahf23 said:
You could get The Digital Photography Book volume 1-4 by Scott Kelby also. Quite a good read and i find it quite helpful.

These books are good for a jump start for newbies. Give you settings for different shoot.

You will need to do a more extensive read up from books (eg. from library) or online sources.
What you require can't be summed up with a few words on a forum.
Settings will vary according to needs so there is no 1 setup for every shot.

More than that, you also need to shoot more and try more. All theory and no practical is no use also. :)