Advice on polarized lenses

oaheey

Jul 13, 2009
Hi guys im looking for some advice on polarized lenses.

What are the benefits of using polarized lenses on say a wideangle lens versus a telephoto zoom lens?

Also, does anyone have any recommendation for a particular brand?

Thanks guys and please pardon my "noobness".

Joshua

Hi guys im looking for some advice on polarized lenses.

What are the benefits of using polarized lenses on say a wideangle lens versus a telephoto zoom lens?

Joshua

It's called a polarizing filter

If you need to ask, then you don't really need it. It's another BBB virus someone inflicted on you.

Anyway a minor correction, but I believe you mean a polarising filter?

polarizer filter + lens = polarized lens :think:

Anyway, choice of lens (wideangle vs telephoto) should be made in consideration in whichever suits your subject. There have been discussions of "uneven" polarization (don't know the official term), if when we use the polarizer on the wide angle.

Last edited:
Like i said guys, pardon my noobness.

I believe i meant polarizing filters.

TS is not wrong.

Technically a filter as we know it is also referred to as a lens because it is a lens. For all intent and purpose, it serves the same function, so the terms 'filter' and 'lens' are interchangeable, and have been used in the photographic industry, even though the more technical term normally used is 'objective', and in most places, the majority refer to what you're talking about as a 'filter' although in some parts of Europe, to a much lesser extent, it's also referred to as a 'lens', usually with technical specs stated before, e.g., close-up lens, polarizing lens etc.

The use of a polarizing element in front of your camera lens, whether a wide angle or telephoto, serves the same purposes - to alter the polarization of light waves.

In more common photographic applications, this is done to either minimize or eliminate reflections off non-metallic surfaces, or in applications such as landscape photography, to darken or deepen blue skies.

There are other scientific and industrial applications of polarized light, although less common to ordinary folks like you and me.

And yes, further reading is recommended. Google 'Polarized light and filters in photography'.

If you really want to know what's going on: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/light/U12l1e.cfm

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks alot Dream Merchant,

I tend to do quite abit of outdoor photography in bright sunlight settings. Some article i read recently gave me the impression that polarized filters when used, increase the contrast of pictures and therefore tend to darken/deepen skies. However I was puzzled as to whether the polarizing filter would only darken the blue parts of the sky or also the white portions, i.e. the clouds.

Thanks for clearing that up.

J

The polariser increases contrasts by filtering out unwanted reflections and cutting down on stray light (stray wavelengths). Your white clouds will remain white =)

Joshua

that is a very weird first question you have. using CPL(circular polariser) on wide angle lens or telephoto lens will yield same effect.

in fact you should take note of the fact that for wide angle lenses you have to watch out for what is known as UNEVEN POLARISATION, google will help you a lot with understanding what this is.

hoya is decent brand.

It's back to physics again. Polarization will be the same for both wide-angle and tele lenses.

hello, may i know where to get linear polarising filters?

With polarising filter

DSC00936.jpg

Without polarising filter

DSC00937.jpg

With polarising filter

DSC03986.jpg

Without polarising filter

DSC03983.jpg

Last edited:
polarizer filter + lens = polarized lens :think:

Anyway, choice of lens (wideangle vs telephoto) should be made in consideration in whichever suits your subject. There have been discussions of "uneven" polarization (don't know the official term), if when we use the polarizer on the wide angle.

You'll get weird effects with a polarizing filter on ultra-wide angle lens.

hello, may i know where to get linear polarising filters?

Are you sure you want a linear polarising filter? They are normally for pre-1970 or view camera.

sorry TS borrow your tread. may i know what is the different between multi coated filter and polarized filter. i am using vitacom multi coated uv filter. i tried to get a clear blue sky but the result is is not as blue as what i am expected

_MG_4686a-1.jpg

You need polarising or GND filter to get nice blue sky; sample below taken with polarising filter.

DSC00034.jpg

so what is the different between these two? i thought multi coated is able to reduce the reflection but not sure about the blue sky. is there any polarized filter able to attach to my existing filter? sorry i am a newbie please pardon me thanks

Last edited: