Advice on photography lessons

michi0301

Mar 9, 2007
hi people,

Being a newbie, i want to take up some photography classes so that e equipment i got wont go to waste, want to start off with e basics, and maybe some themes later. Can anybody kindly advise on where to go or who to look out for ? i know there is a "Workshops, Tutorials and Classes" section for that, but hope to hear from people who have taken some classes and feels that its good to recommend. Thanks in advance !!! ;)

class is boring...

You should just join some outings and learn from those experienced members to get yourself started off. Then slowly explore yourself.

Nothing beats doing practical (at least for me)!

class is boring...

You should just join some outings and learn from those experienced members to get yourself started off. Then slowly explore yourself.

Nothing beats doing practical (at least for me)!
agreed. join those outings first before spending money on classes. at least these outings are free. and there are plenty in the gathering and outing. but just have to be fast.

Are you a person learning by lessons or rather learning by doing? That should be the basis for your way of learning. For the latter you might want to join the organized outings here.
What's wrong the with section about "Workshops, Tutorials and Classes"? Give them a call, see the places, get your own opinion. From a friend I got very good feedback about objectifs.

hi people,

Being a newbie, i want to take up some photography classes so that e equipment i got wont go to waste, want to start off with e basics, and maybe some themes later. Can anybody kindly advise on where to go or who to look out for ? i know there is a "Workshops, Tutorials and Classes" section for that, but hope to hear from people who have taken some classes and feels that its good to recommend. Thanks in advance !!! ;)

what is your level of knowledge?

the national library has a lot of FOC books which are good.

i recommend that if you are 100% new to photography, you pick up The Digital SLR Handbook by Michael Freeman, if you have something that has manual control... or some semblance of it.

the internet is the biggest library out there.. read and learn, and then try immediately at home...

ofcourse you have to be smart and know how to filter out rubbish websites...

thanks for e feedback guys, i like practical, but i also want to know e reasons behind all e settings. Outings are good, will try that out, and e paid classes too. There is nothing wrong with "Workshops, Tutorials and Classes" section, just seeking opinions on where to start. I have got some books and internet links to some articles too. i am just curious about the lessons, that all :)

Check out the course run by The Substation, it was very useful for me. when I was starting out. The current instructor is different from the one I had, but the structure is the same.

They are a non-profit organisation, so your $$$ will be going towards a good cause.

Check out the course run by The Substation, it was very useful for me. when I was starting out. The current instructor is different from the one I had, but the structure is the same.

They are a non-profit organisation, so your $$$ will be going towards a good cause.

thanks for the info, really appreciate that :thumbsup:

appreciate it :thumbsup: so much to read but its going interesting :bigeyes:

Hi michi0301 & all,

I am also new and same thoughts as michi0301 in taking up a basic photography couse since we are newbies. I also found in "Workshops, Tutorials and Classes" section and there are mainly 2 such offering there. One is from P and the other is K. Any CS enrolled with them before and care to give us some feedback? Or any other recommendation is also welcome. Thanks!

Hi michi0301 & all,

I am also new and same thoughts as michi0301 in taking up a basic photography couse since we are newbies. I also found in "Workshops, Tutorials and Classes" section and there are mainly 2 such offering there. One is from P and the other is K. Any CS enrolled with them before and care to give us some feedback? Or any other recommendation is also welcome. Thanks!

The best start is to read up on basic concepts first. The stuff you learn in basic photography courses are the same stuff you can read online and experiment on your own. (you can find a lot of these material from the links I posted 2 posts above). After that, join newbie outings in the genre you feel you want to learn more. I feel that only intermediate and advance courses will add a lot more value in a class environment.

However, if you are type that need someone to dish out everything for you and show you everything step by step, a basic photography course would be the only way.

Last edited:
My friend, a newbie, bought a DSLR recently and went for classes which include outing lessons.

I haven't seen any of his photos yet but through our discussion, I found he has acquired basic knowledge and know his camera quite well in a short time. :)

If you bought a Canon dslr, you could go back to them to sign up for courses too.

or fastest way. get a camera and shoot first. dunno go back google. then shoot again. and cycle repeats until u get most of the stuff right. stuck at any point just come cs ask.

guys, really appreciate all e information coming in :thumbsup: i got myself a nikon actually.

I thot Nikon has this 1 day very basic class free as well? Should be good to go for that, and then decide if you require more lessons, or confident to start shooting and then learn from your mistakes...

Hi. I think first and foremost, the most important thing to do is to finish reading the user manual of your camera first. After tt, use google if you still don't know what's aperture, shutter speed, ISO all those. Or do a search on CS. After understanding some of the basics, go out and shoot. Join the newbie outings as well. But of course, must be fast enough before the vacancies are filled.

Enjoy photography!:)