advice on Oly OM stuff....

Status
Not open for further replies.

thx dude... was reading but can make nothing of it.. too FM2 in mindset... battery is a must for OM?

om1 & 3 are mechanicals, they could run at all shutter speeds without battery, but no metering is possible...since the battery is actually meant for the meters.

the centre average metering in the om1 could be a bit slow to respond sometime, but when it respond, it is very accurate.

om1 is fm2 equivalent less the LED feature and 1/4000s speed, it's slightly lighter, more compact and comes with a manual mirror prefire.

om1 uses the 1.35 mercury battery which is hard to find. some managed substitute it with the silver oxide 1.5v with or without adapter. myself use a 1.5v battery with an adapter. the battery last for a year min, even if you left the meter on in the dry box for weeks...i think it has the auto swtich off when in no light conditions.

om2 and 4 have electronic shutters. not sure abt the om4, but om2 only runs at B and 1/60s speed without battery.

the om2sp, om3's, and om4's have both spot and centre average mereting.

om2sp drains battery easy when in AE mode, otherwise manual and spot metering seldom gives problem.

imho, one of best feature about the OM is not only the compactness but also location of the shutter speed dial, which is located on the camera mount and this make setting shutter speed and f stops a lot more faster, esp on the manuals. all om bodies have no AF feature...forget about om if you have poor eye sights or cannot do MF.

btw, myself am om user...i got most my system out of the ebay.com, which is a lot more cheaper than if i were to get it from local 2nd dealers. i own a om1md and a om2sp, plus some 28 ~ 300mm primes and zooms. the 50/f1.4 and 100/f2.8 are my all time favourite.

this is a very informative site on the OM system of camera...
http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif.htm

ssssssssss.. thx boochap for the really good intro!
hmm shd I stick to FM2 then... used to that for MF... but hate splitscreens... or the one K2

Originally posted by denizenx
ssssssssss.. thx boochap for the really good intro!
hmm shd I stick to FM2 then... used to that for MF... but hate splitscreens... or the one K2

am not familiar with the nikon, but fyi, the om also has a number of focusing screens to choose from...spilt to matt, macro, tele, etc and hearsay the extra bright series 2 originally meant for om2/3/4 could also be modified for use in the om1....yah i am going to try it out soon.

om1md with std 50mm/1.8 lens is rather cheap, 200~300$sing in the ebay in not bad condition, you may wanna grap one to play with...just for fun. i got my at 285$sing close to mint, shipping inclusive.

i get the system that suit me and that's it...wont advise changing system for no particular reason...imho analogously, changing system is like getting a divorce for a new wife....hahaha.
unless you r richer to become a multi-system owner...(aka a rich getting multiple wives..:p). in that case u better be a collector rather than a photographer. anyway, i think nikon has a good slr system, if not the best.

oh yah, BTW, omlypus has already announced last year that they have and going to stop making any more om slr system camera and lens....and support and spare parts for the om sysem will also be terminated soon. so better think twice and thrice if u wanna go into the om....your main market place would be the ebay.com and not the penisular plaza or aldephi. :pp

hmm not confirmed getting just thinking still... I will just get a SLR + 50mm... nothing MORE

Nikon has three screens available for the FM2: E2 (grid screen, no prisms) and B2 (plain screen) and the standard K2.

Better to stick to one system.

Nikon has high contrast lenses so they do loose out in details in shadow areas compared to olympus and Leica which are very close. friend o fmine did test shots with three lenses from these three brands.

Hong Sien

Originally posted by hongsien
Nikon has high contrast lenses so they do loose out in details in shadow areas compared to olympus and Leica which are very close. friend o fmine did test shots with three lenses from these three brands.

Hong Sien

wow that's new to me! thx!
so the ilford look is with nikon cameras? :)

anyway if I do get I am getting the lens and body, nothing else. a bit wary of accumulating stuff again.... worse than PC gadgets...

Status
Not open for further replies.