Advice on Nikon D80's Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete

Jan 17, 2005
Hi guyz and galz,

I'm new to this DSLR thingy, but i've been browsing and asking around for opinion about DSLR and its lenses.

I'm planning to buy a Nikon D80. And a fren of mine recommended me to buy a Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II to equipped to my camera.

What do you think about it? Is it a good match between those two? or I should just go and nikon's stock lens?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

;)

i alway feel nikon lens produce better quality than 3rd party lens, though i've only used sigma and tamron.. haven't tried a tokina lens before...
if u can afford get the nikon 18-200VR, 1 lens fits all... or if u are on a budget (like me) use the kit lens 18-135mm it's good for most situations (200g lighter also) it's abt 1/3 the price of the 18-200VR...

at long focus distance i think VR will be quite impt.. 18-200 is a very versatile range but dun expect fantastic image quality... hehe:D

i alway feel nikon lens produce better quality than 3rd party lens, though i've only used sigma and tamron.. haven't tried a tokina lens before...
if u can afford get the nikon 18-200VR, 1 lens fits all... or if u are on a budget (like me) use the kit lens 18-135mm it's good for most situations (200g lighter also) it's abt 1/3 the price of the 18-200VR...

at long focus distance i think VR will be quite impt.. 18-200 is a very versatile range but dun expect fantastic image quality... hehe:D

Ok, does maximizing the zoom for 18-135 lens gives the same quality of image compare to 18-200 zooming at the same distance as 18-135?

Ok, does maximizing the zoom for 18-135 lens gives the same quality of image compare to 18-200 zooming at the same distance as 18-135?

I dun really get what u mean... i guess u refer to pic quality at the longest zoom.. well hard to compare, cos one is 135mm the other is 200mm max... Personally i have to admit that i've not used the 18-200mm VR before. i have the 70-300mm VR and the VR rocks at low lighting, long range..
We cannot expect too much from super zooms, there are bound to be distortions, however we still have PS haha

both seems to give good crisp pictures but it seems that the 18-135mm gives the same quality pictures at all it ranges (see reviews) but the 18-200VR pics becomes softer at longer focal length

if u wan a one lens fits all solution and price is not a concern get the 18-200VR, if price is a concern then i think the 18-135mm would suffice,... (1 18-200VR could get u 3 18-135mm)
not enuff light then lean against a wall to stablised ur self to get sharp pics...

i need the range (to 300mm) cos i like to visit zoos, bird parks or that candid shots from far. so i got the 70-300VR to complement my 18-135mm

cos I feel VR is more impt at the longer focal distance...

well wat lens u get depends on what is ur shooting needs..

eg. my friend emphasize alot of pic quality so he totally shuns super zooms (3x and above) and goes for prime...

for me i go for a mix of pic quality and value for $$.

Hi guyz and galz,

I'm new to this DSLR thingy, but i've been browsing and asking around for opinion about DSLR and its lenses.

I'm planning to buy a Nikon D80. And a fren of mine recommended me to buy a Tamron AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II to equipped to my camera.

What do you think about it? Is it a good match between those two? or I should just go and nikon's stock lens?

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks.

;)

Stick with the kit lens first and learn about DSLR photography first. There are already a lot of things you can shoot with the 18-135. If you want an 18-200, then get the Nikon one.

yeah i second that.. learn and perfect your skills first u can also shoot fantastic pics with a cheapo lens... wherelse a noob wif a super high end lens might shoot not-so-nice pictures...
generally nikon lens seems to perform better than 3rd party lens.. however their prices are usu higher...:dunno:

Ok. Thanks guys. You all have clarified my doubts. It helps a lot.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

u may wan to consider the nikon 50mm f1.8.. cheap and good lens hehe:)

First... I dun own any of the lens mentioned.. just the 70-300mm VR.

Anyways... as a newbie to newbie.. woudl advice u to hold off all lens purchase first. Do not fall into the BBB trap.. and end up with lenses that u might not need.

Get the kit lens and try it out.. then after a few months.. know what u lack then get the next lens.

Anyways... as a newbie to newbie.. woudl advice u to hold off all lens purchase first. Do not fall into the BBB trap.. and end up with lenses that u might not need.

Get the kit lens and try it out.. then after a few months.. know what u lack then get the next lens.

Ok.. and yeah.. buying camera with kit /lens is cheaper then buying it separately. So i'll go for the package. Thx for d advice.

p/s: lol. i think i need to do tons of research on each lens.

QUOTE]

hi bomby929 wat u feel abt the 70-300mm VR. I just upgraded to it frm my 70-300 G and I used to own a sigma 70-300mm.. the pic quality wow... big diff... but i also changed frm a D50 to D80 so dunno whether it's the body or the lens..

Ok.. and yeah.. buying camera with kit /lens is cheaper then buying it separately. So i'll go for the package. Thx for d advice.

p/s: lol. i think i need to do tons of research on each lens.

i think buying just the body /w a 2nd hand lens could be cheaper.. if price is a concern...
there are lotsa good condition lens floating around...

my D80 body is new cos i can't find a suitable 2nd hand one :cry: tat time... and after i bought my body /w kit alot of D80 bodies showed up... :bigeyes:

having a lens that covers wide and telephoto ranges is great as it lessens the amount of gear one lugs around.

but my personal practice is to break the ranges down into 2 or 3 lenses. reason being if i break a lens (touch wood), i can still continue to shoot with the others.

also remember that your shooting style also determines what lens you require. if you're more into portraits and landscape, then an 18-55 on a digital slr should cover pretty much all your needs. but if long range shots, i.e. birds, runway, etc. where the subject is quite a distance away is your thing, then a lens with a bit more reach is the way to go.

QUOTE]

hi bomby929 wat u feel abt the 70-300mm VR. I just upgraded to it frm my 70-300 G and I used to own a sigma 70-300mm.. the pic quality wow... big diff... but i also changed frm a D50 to D80 so dunno whether it's the body or the lens..

70-300mm VR is a fantastic lens. Used on my D40x.. the image quality is very nice.. but find it a tad soft at 300mm. 70-200mm no horse run.

Recently just got a D300 thanks to a friend who jio me go buy camera.. in the end.. he got the D60.. I landed myself with the D300. So far.. on first try.. the images are just sweet. Yet to full use the 70-300mm on the D300. First need to re-learn.

haha i was very tempted to get the 18-200mm and ditch my 18-135mm i admit it's cos of positive reviews la... but in the end i decided to retain my 18-135mm and get the 70-300mm VR. nv regretted it..

How many times do we need a snap shot in low light? to me i shoot more long distance objects than in low light.. if really that low then i will bring out my tripod of just place my D80 with cheapo lens on parapet..does the job.. the 18-200 VR price like not really justified le.. brand new sets also $400 more than 70-300mm

Status
Not open for further replies.