Advice on Night Photography :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebbot

Mar 24, 2005
Hi all,

Need some advice ;p Been trying to get some good photos at night of landscapes and architectural buildings. I try not to use flash if possible as I do not know how to use it efficiently :cry: and get harsh lighting. Of course, using long exposure with a tripod would be the best bet but I was hoping I can skip on the tripod if possible.

The best result I have was hand holding the cam at f 3.5 in aperture priority mode at 18mm. ISO was set at 400.

71.jpg

Is the above acceptable as the cars seemed a little soft or is it camera shake? Might be a little small though as I rezised it to keep within size limits. :( Also when I review the pic at 100%, it seemed kinda grainy as well especially the skies. It was worse when I tried to zoom in to perharps 50mm.

I tried manual mode, hand-held at 1/60s, aperture at f 4.5 and at around 50mm with ISO set at 400. All I get were black pictures hehehe

I actually tried pumping up the ISO as well but did not help significantly.

Thanks for any comments and advices in advance~ :sweat:

The use of a tripod is a must in night scene photography.

Bumping up ISO causes more noise.

and a long shuttle speed if necessary..

woah thanks for the prompt reponse guyz haiz I knew tripod and long exposure were going to be the answer anyway :) just that I am lazy to lug ard a tripod when I travel

kennyleong said:
and a long shuttle speed if necessary..

mate, any chance I can pick up a tip or 2 from ya sometime~ ;p

nemesis32 said:
Not sure if you interested by PSS has a night photography course

sounds good ;o)

I was wondering if getting a prime lens maybe a 24mm or 50mm would help here as they work better in low-light situations ;)

Any comments?

Nah, the 50mm/24mm I guess you're referring to the f1.4/f1.8 versions? Not really, bottom line is you need a tripod.

you mentioned you want to go into landscape and architecture photography under night lighting situation? TRIPOD IS A MUST.

Thanks all for the advices so far~

Guess I have no choice then...any advices so far? I use the 18-70 and 70-210 nowadays...need something lightweight but carbon-fibre would be too exp~

rebbot said:
mate, any chance I can pick up a tip or 2 from ya sometime~ ;p

i'm not really good at night shots though.. just got these tips from here and there from pros in here.... you can try brousing around.. i'm sure you can find many tips.. ;)

*PM me.. Cos exams.. might be busy..

judging frm the pics,tripod is needed...hmmm I'm not sure wht camera u r holding but hope ur camera can adjust the below settings. for nite scene u need long exposure time, use ISO200 or lower (for sharp Img), if u wnts good ligthing effects use F8 or more (u will see lights got ray). BTw, u nd to over expose the pics if it seems dark. U need to experience it for better nite shots scene...i'm holding D70 and i'm learning it also. just sharing ^_^

ortega said:
As said b4 what you NEED, is a tripod.

go to CP and try them out.

I know I asked before ;p dun scold me :cry:

walker said:
judging frm the pics,tripod is needed...hmmm I'm not sure wht camera u r holding but hope ur camera can adjust the below settings. for nite scene u need long exposure time, use ISO200 or lower (for sharp Img), if u wnts good ligthing effects use F8 or more (u will see lights got ray). BTw, u nd to over expose the pics if it seems dark. U need to experience it for better nite shots scene...i'm holding D70 and i'm learning it also. just sharing ^_^

Using the D70s as well at ISO 400...I trying to hand hold as much as possible mah ;p Lazy is like that one hehehe but guess really no other methods to cheat I tried setting the ev compensation to +2 also dun make much difference

rebbot said:
Using the D70s as well at ISO 400...I trying to hand hold as much as possible mah ;p Lazy is like that one hehehe but guess really no other methods to cheat I tried setting the ev compensation to +2 also dun make much difference

using methods to cheat = cheating yourself

just go get a tripod. go to a shop and see and feel it for yourself.

mervlam said:
using methods to cheat = cheating yourself

just go get a tripod. go to a shop and see and feel it for yourself.

:sweat: gt myself a lightweight aluminium monopod

If you want quality and long exposure (special effect) shot, you need to use a tripod.

If you want normal shot, you can use high ISO with fast lens.

megaweb said:
If you want normal shot, you can use high ISO with fast lens.

Hmmm megaweb...normal shot was what I was looking for...hence the ISO 800 and above with prime lens mebbe 24mm f1.4 or 50mm f1.4? Will it work? :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.