Advice on Moon Shooting Gear

Deathegg

Dec 4, 2010
Punggol
Hi,

Wonder if there's any seniors out there who is shooting the moon. What kind of gear are you using? Similar to those of birding or less demanding than birding since the moon doesn't move as fast as a bird in flight?

Thanks for all advices.

You can start off using a lens capable of at least, say 200mm and preferably, a tripod. The rest is all technique and processing.

Hi,

Wonder if there's any seniors out there who is shooting the moon. What kind of gear are you using? Similar to those of birding or less demanding than birding since the moon doesn't move as fast as a bird in flight?

Thanks for all advices.

i find this question kinda... :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

if u r concerned about shutter speed, the moon is bright enough for u to shoot like shootin in daylight conditions. like others had mentioned, get a telephoto lens + tripod will do.

One other idea I'm wondering... would be to use a Nikon Fieldscope... Some enthusiast bird shooters have long used this method to capture their subjects. Whilst said to be not as sharp and can only be considered non-serious, I've seen examples of such usage that can be pretty acceptably sharp... I won't be surprised if some already started using such equipments to shoot stars and moon... Don't under estimate Nikon Fieldscope range... the most ex can cost as much as a 70-200mm 2.8... But focal range... Phew! - will blow your mind away!

What you need is a good Fieldscope, an adaptor (with release cable) and of course your cam and stable tripod... Those who have such a set up can try and see if it's worth shooting the moon... I wouldn't recommend getting the fieldscope just for this purpose... It AIN'T cheap!

Last edited:
DSCN1160+Nikon+Fieldscope+EDG85.jpg

Image obtained from here... look at their bird shots...
http://horukuru.blogspot.com/2010/07/nikon-fieldscope-edg85.html

Nikon's "L" lenses.... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I'm not into birding... :sweat:

But what is the mic for ?? Movie ?? or to record the bird's song/sound ?? :think:

Very likely. That means they are also recording movies, its a D300s... capable of movies... Wah... Fieldscope (the above lens is the top end with the longest range, btw) Plus 1.5 crop... sure win!

Btw, Fieldscopes with a proper adaptor.. can delivery crisp images above 1500mm range... MOVE over 600 f/4! :bsmilie:

FYI: FSA-L2 + Fieldscope 85 + D700 = 1750mm at f/21.... :sweat:

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for all advices.

Moon on 17 April 2011. D90 + Sigma 150-500mm. ISO-200. f/16. 1/200 sec. EV -1. WB 4000K. Handheld, OS on. PP by Photoshop: crop, basic sharpening, and downsampled to CS file limit.

moon-11.jpg

Nice job UncleFai... 500mm can deliver this, imagine 1750mm! :sweat: Can we see where Chang-er lives?? :bsmilie: WITHOUT the need for cropping okay?!

Last edited:
Nice job UncleFai... 500mm can deliver this, imagine 1750mm! :sweat: Can we see where Chang-er lives?? :bsmilie: WITHOUT the need for cropping okay?!

Moon on 19 April 2011. D90 + Kenkon x2 TC + Sigma 150-500mm @ 500mm. ISO-320. f/9 (I don't totally trust this coz of TC). 1/400 sec. WB 4000K. Tripod, OS on. PP by Photoshop: crop, basic sharpening, denoised, and downsampled to CS file limit.

It actually depends a bit on luck... tiny differences in atmospheric conditions can make or break things.

moon-2.jpg

kriegsketten said:

Yup ard 1700mm on ff will not need cropping liao ! Will need a very stable setup to shoot.

Ryan

Yup ard 1700mm on ff will not need cropping liao ! Will need a very stable setup to shoot.

Ryan

Ryan

You betcha... F-scope 85 is already more than 2KG!

Heck... just install a permanent mount on your floor... :bsmilie: your very own Observatory... :sweat:

Last edited:
Moon on 17 April 2011. D90 + Sigma 150-500mm. ISO-200. f/16. 1/200 sec. EV -1. WB 4000K. Handheld, OS on. PP by Photoshop: crop, basic sharpening, and downsampled to CS file limit.

moon-11.jpg

nice!!!!

Btw...the piece between the Fieldscope 85 and D300s is a FSA-L2 adaptor...

Dun ask me how much the 85 costs... ebay listed it as 28XX USD... dunno about FSA-L2 adaptor... not cheap, not cheap... :sweat:

thats some cool s*** (oops!)
I guess thats the price for being serious!! LOL