Advice on MACRO Lense???

dlareg

Aug 22, 2008
Ranggung
Hi to All,

I wanted to try MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY...

but i don't know which Lens I should buy...

Any SUGGESTIONS that is "Lower cost but Good Result on Macro"Huh?

Budget maybe 500-700sgd?Huh

Hope to hear from your suggestions...

Thanks

You didn't even mention the camera that you are using.

Have you even tried a search? If you did, you'd have found the Tamron 90mm to be a recommended lens.

Have you even tried a search? If you did, you'd have found the Tamron 90mm to be a recommended lens.

Thanks for the quick reply

You didn't even mention the camera that you are using.

Sorry its Canon...

Thanks for the link...really appreciate ALL YOUR REPLIES

This is a good source of info to start off. :thumbsup:

If you're not too sure about macros, perhaps find out more before committing to buying lenses. Macros shots are not so easy, i personally struggle with them. there is a section in this forum on macros where the guys are really friendly and share info to help newcomers, so might be a good idea to pop by there and take a look.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

my own exploration into macro led me to try a 'half-macro' lens (i.e. sigma 70-300 macro with 1:2 magnification factor, @~S$200-300 second hand). Some others use the Raynox DCR 250 closeup filter (@ S$125 from mass sales, or $100 second hand) that can clip to the front of lenses with threads from 52-67mm.

If you think you really like to get a dedicated macro lens possible cheaper options are the tamron 90mm (quite popular and budget) or the canon 100mm macro (non-L). There are some others but these 2 seem the more popular ones. you would likely also need a flash and diffuser at some stage and a tripod.

Suggest you try to join some of the macro outings that come up once in a while. Can check out the various lens, setups that the people use and ask them in person. You will likely find much friendlier and useful response/feedback than posting your question for lens recommendation in the forum :)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

in fact i see one such outing already: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790782

Good luck!

Hi to All,

I wanted to try MACRO PHOTOGRAPHY...

but i don't know which Lens I should buy...

Any SUGGESTIONS that is "Lower cost but Good Result on Macro"Huh?

Budget maybe 500-700sgd?Huh

Hope to hear from your suggestions...

Thanks

Canon 100mm Macro ($800 plus) would be nice to have if you have the budget. If you want "IS" then have to fork out about 400 more.

Tamron 90mm Macro would be a value for money at $500 plus.

From experience, forget about close-up filter. I tried it. It is difficult to use and further more the result is no where near a macro lens. It take the fun about of shooting macro. I am saving up for a macro lens. Been borrowing from my friends. I will lean towards Canon 100mm, as it is using inner focusing.

what type of macro you want to shoot more? Insect? Butterfly? Bee? Flower? Food and fruit? Spices? Different focal length will make things easier for different type.

For your budget, a tamron 90mm is your best bet. Get a flash too, if possible.

Last edited:
Dear dlareg.

I have a cheap solution for you !!
Extension Tubes. They cost around $18 at the shop in Fortune Centre, on Middle Road. (I forgot their name)

kenko_extension.jpg

Essentially, Bellows are to put more distance between the lens and the "film plane". Hence, as you focus towards infinity, the lens retracts. And as you focus towards a close subject, the lens protrudes. You distance the lens even more, when you attach extension tubes between your camera body, and your lens. Yes. It's that simple !!

BTW, you can also buy bellows from them, if you are willing to splash $58.

Lastly, read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extension_tube

If you one a perfect MACRO lens,
With your budget, look at B&S in CS otherwise get

1. Tamron 90mm 1:1 ratio for alpha
2. Canon 100mm IS USM 1:1 ratio ( Hidden L)

It's good to buy a true macro lens for tiny shot like insects, flowers etc.

Dear An Drew... Yeah, the Autofocus one costs more than $100. This is the manual focus version.

Which brings it to the same as reversing the lens. However, unless you're using the rear-coupled electronics-version, you cannot stop down an AF lens in that mode (unless things have changed).

I did forget to mention that I'm suggesting a dedicated manual lens for this. a simple 50mm f1.8/ f2 would definitely be cheap. Match your brand. Am sure it'll work.

Cheers

Go to BnS and look out for these 2 lens, both will cost you less than 800SGD for 2nd hand. I bought my EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro for 780SGD with 10 months warranty left in BnS and that was 2 years ago ;).

1) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro (Non-IS, Non-L), 1:1 lens (Range about $620 to $700)
2) Tamron SP90mm Di Macro f/2.8, 1:1 lens (Range about $400 to $450)

For higher magnification ratio above 1:1, you can stack the above lens with Raynox 250DCR or Kenko Extension tubes.

Erm.... I m still newbie in macro photography, currently i got 105VR F2.8. now i thinking to get Raynox DCR-250, not sure whether the combination works well together or not ?
Heard there also Raynox DCR-150 too, not sure which to get?

I interested to take some still object plus sometime insects, flower etc... :)
btw do i need a extension tube too? Thanks.

Erm.... I m still newbie in macro photography, currently i got 105VR F2.8. now i thinking to get Raynox DCR-250, not sure whether the combination works well together or not ?
Heard there also Raynox DCR-150 too, not sure which to get?

I interested to take some still object plus sometime insects, flower etc... :)
btw do i need a extension tube too? Thanks.

Hi, Nmadness. Are you ***? If the lens you mentioned is the VR105 F2.8 ED micro Nikkor, its close focus is 1 foot and working distance is 6 inches at 1:1 ratio. What on earth do you need a Raynox for? It is unnecessary and will lower the quality of the image.

Last edited: