Advice on lens

IvanL

Apr 30, 2011
I am currently using a Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX. I am thinking of getting AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G for the maximum aperture as i sometime like to capture the natural light or take photos in a dimly lit. Does anybody have any opinion on that lens or have any suggestion?

Btw, i generally do landscape, potraits and thinking of doing marco. Also, as i am still a student the cost is also an important factor for me.

Marco is just a name, guess you mean 'macro' :)
Feel free to check the usual review sites like www.dpreview.com or photozone.de for in depth reviews and comparisons. Gives rather neutral and sound feedback, personal opinions are, well.. just personal things that can be heavily biased because of numerous reasons.

Marco is just a name, guess you mean 'macro' :)
Feel free to check the usual review sites like www.dpreview.com or photozone.de for in depth reviews and comparisons. Gives rather neutral and sound feedback, personal opinions are, well.. just personal things that can be heavily biased because of numerous reasons.

That or he really wanna do Marco:bigeyes: In that case, too much info :bsmilie:

To TS, hmm to give opinion on that lens with respect to? I can say that its a pretty sharp lens, good range for portrait as well.

Your equipment at the moment will be quite hard to do macro. You might want to consider a 50mm F/1.8 AF-D, which is cheaper and you can attempt to do macro with an additional raynox attachment. Both at 2nd hand will add up to abt S$250 which is cheaper than the 35mm F/1.8G but you will lose the wider view of a 35mm lens.

Just my 2 cents

Your equipment at the moment will be quite hard to do macro. You might want to consider a 50mm F/1.8 AF-D, which is cheaper and you can attempt to do macro with an additional raynox attachment. Both at 2nd hand will add up to abt S$250 which is cheaper than the 35mm F/1.8G but you will lose the wider view of a 35mm lens.

Just my 2 cents

:thumbsup: haha. bro mind if i join u for marco next time? haha we met b4 aint we? (sry ot abit) haha

btw! TS, i got the af-s 35mm too! i think for landscape its good as it is wider compared to 50mm, better performance in low light, as potraits i think no problem too! sharpness is good only thing is that you got to move your feet to get close to your target (which is i dont mind haha)

Last edited:
I am currently using a Nikon D80 with Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX. I am thinking of getting AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G for the maximum aperture as i sometime like to capture the natural light or take photos in a dimly lit. Does anybody have any opinion on that lens or have any suggestion?

Btw, i generally do landscape, potraits and thinking of doing marco. Also, as i am still a student the cost is also an important factor for me.

I like the 35/1.8DX a lot when paired with my D90, but that doesn't necessarily mean you will :)
It was (just about) wide enough to take photos of friends in an indoor setting (eg restaurant table). Sometimes I pair it with small flash like SB400. Everything can fit into a small camera bag (toploader-style).
It's pretty sharp wide open, and bokeh is pleasing enough. Though at 35mm on a DX, don't expect super-thin DOF ;)

luckyorange said:
haha~! just wanna try out marco =) if cannot its ok haha

Haha then you have to ask marco whether he is ok with a 3some mah :bsmilie:

luckyorange said:
:thumbsup: haha. bro mind if i join u for marco next time? haha we met b4 aint we? (sry ot abit) haha

btw! TS, i got the af-s 35mm too! i think for landscape its good as it is wider compared to 50mm, better performance in low light, as potraits i think no problem too! sharpness is good only thing is that you got to move your feet to get close to your target (which is i dont mind haha)

Look at your 35mm f/1.8, you will rem who am I :)
If you wanna shoot macro together, drop me a pm

Thanks ppl for your useful advice! So now i have to choose between Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX and the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D. One is abt $399 and the other $249, respectively, according to nikon website. The only difference i can see is 15mm and $50... so any suggestions???

It's different perspective and different tech build in the lens. One is AF-S and other is AF-D. huge difference! And it's $150 difference.
I suggest the 50/1.8D but it will be tight. The 35mm is a nice lens esp the only prime lens made for DX body.

Use your 18-200 to try and you understand when you set your lens at 35mm and 50mm to see which one is more preferred focal length.
If budget is main concern, then just get 50mm f/1.8D. If not, the 35mm is a good choice on DX body.

I've sold my 35mm since I seldom shoot at that focal length and stick to my 16-85 when I need my 35mm.

Thanks! I had overlooked the tech stuff while searching for info... I think i want the 35mm but since it is too exp., i guess i will have to settle for the 50mm unless i go on a saving spree...

Thanks for the advice again, really helpful!