Advice on Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Photoholic

Jan 25, 2010
Somewhere Around You
Hi, I need some advice on wide angle lens.

I was thinking of getting a Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM for landscape and architecture shots and would like to know how you guys feel about this particular lens.

Beside this, what other brand would you recommend ?

Is lens Hood a must for this lens ??

Kam Xia very much in advance :D

Have you tried a search? There must be about 2000 "advice on lens" threads already.

Hi, I need some advice on wide angle lens.

I was thinking of getting a Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM for landscape and architecture shots and would like to know how you guys feel about this particular lens.

Beside this, what other brand would you recommend ?

Is lens Hood a must for this lens ??

Kam Xia very much in advance :D

EF-S 10-22 looks like a popular choice.
Just search under DP review for ultra wide angle lens.
Ken Rockwell also reviewed some ultra wides on his site. Of course his comments should always be taken with a pinch of salt. Don't regard them as the absolute truth.

Your 18-135 is already considered wide angle, because the 18mm gives you about 29mm equivalent field of view on a FF camera. Anything < 35mm on FF is considered wide angle.

Landscape and architectual doesn't always mean "as wide as possible"

That said, for a crop body 10-22mm is one of the best UWA.

The hood for this lens is very "small" and it doesnt really offer much protection for the front element

Thanks for the advice guys.

I did read quite a bit on lens review and so on, but believe that end user comments are more useful.

Appreciate your inputs. :)

EF-S 10-22 looks like a popular choice.
Just search under DP review for ultra wide angle lens.
Ken Rockwell also reviewed some ultra wides on his site. Of course his comments should always be taken with a pinch of salt. Don't regard them as the absolute truth.

Your 18-135 is already considered wide angle, because the 18mm gives you about 29mm equivalent field of view on a FF camera. Anything < 35mm on FF is considered wide angle.

I did go thru dpreview and I understand what you meant. :bsmilie:

The reason why I got the 18-135 in the first place was because, like what they said... a single lens that can do a lot of jobs. So far I am still happy with the performance.... (being in my novice level) :p

But while it may be a "jack of all trade", I fear it is " master of none ".

Anyone Catch the Ball ??? :bsmilie:

A hood is usually use either to prevent flares or to protect the front elements.
So it will be up to user itself to decide whether he/she wants to use it.

Landscape and architectual doesn't always mean "as wide as possible"

That said, for a crop body 10-22mm is one of the best UWA.

The hood for this lens is very "small" and it doesnt really offer much protection for the front element

Understood. Thanks for advising. :angel:

Based on your post on your interests, you should be looking into tilt-shift lenses instead.

a tilt-shift lens is probably gonna cost A LOT more than the 10-22 :)

but yeah... they are different beasts.

to TS: I understand what you mean by 'jack of all trades and master of none'.... that's the case with large zoom-factor lenses.
You sacrifice image quality for convenience. But the trade-off is actually not that great, for normal viewing (print 4/5R, view on PC, etc) of course...

well said of "jack of all trades and master of none" for beginners they wont know what they really interested to shoot at.. just "anyhow shoot" until they know what kind of photograph they want to shoot =)

10-22 is a very good lens on a crop body. but you have to be clear whats the purpose you getting it and do you use it "often" instead of buy already and use once every month

a tilt-shift lens is probably gonna cost A LOT more than the 10-22 :)

but yeah... they are different beasts.

to TS: I understand what you mean by 'jack of all trades and master of none'.... that's the case with large zoom-factor lenses.
You sacrifice image quality for convenience. But the trade-off is actually not that great, for normal viewing (print 4/5R, view on PC, etc) of course...

Different Beasts ?? Seems like this is one fine machine the way you put it. ;p

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't mind carrying EVERYTHING that I need for nice shots but for my overseas trip coming 2 weeks time, I still hope to keep it slightly simpler, if possible. Already my luggage is on the verge of OVERWEIGHT. :embrass:

well said of "jack of all trades and master of none" for beginners they wont know what they really interested to shoot at.. just "anyhow shoot" until they know what kind of photograph they want to shoot =)

10-22 is a very good lens on a crop body. but you have to be clear whats the purpose you getting it and do you use it "often" instead of buy already and use once every month

Thanks Kevin. And yes, I read that the reviews for this lens is solid. Very good image quality it can produce.

Think maybe I can drop by the shop where I got my cam to ask them nicely whether they are able to allow me to try thier 10-22 lens on MY cam :lovegrin:

Thanks Kevin. And yes, I read that the reviews for this lens is solid. Very good image quality it can produce.

Think maybe I can drop by the shop where I got my cam to ask them nicely whether they are able to allow me to try thier 10-22 lens on MY cam :lovegrin:

in that case you might want to try john 3:16 they are quite friendly.

OMG !!! You really spot on. I got my cam there !!! :cheergal:

It's time for another friendly visit. :bsmilie:

haha so far that's the place whereby you wanted to try out lens and get some feedback from them. who knows there is one user at that shop who may help you? hee :D

Always take a pinch of salt when the salesman who is selling u is very friendly & give u lots of feedback.. doubt me, try going to shops in SLS except OP..

Most important, always do ur homework before plonking down ur hard earned cash.
I always cut out their bullshit & tell them what I want instead of them telling what I need. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.