Advice on lens upgrade

discostickz

Jan 16, 2009
Hi all,

I'm currently looking for a suitable lens upgrade for my D40. Would preferably find lens that can auto-focus with D40 automatically.

Also, I found out that I'm unable to focus on objects somewhat far away.

Is it something to do with my settings? I can't seem to focus as clear on the object as I would have like to, like the picture.

Would appreciate any form of help.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Increase your aperture will helps.

If this is not your picture, please properly credit the photographer.

Also, how are you "unable to focus"? Remember, your old D40 only has 3 AF points, so make sure you use them well. Also, you're on 6MP, right? Does your pic look sharp when resized to a smaller size?

I'm currently looking for a suitable lens upgrade for my D40. Would preferably find lens that can auto-focus with D40 automatically.
Something to read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm
You could also ask the guys in the Nikon equipment forum. I'm sure they'll have plenty of suggestions. What's your budget? What's your intended usage?

Is it something to do with my settings? I can't seem to focus as clear on the object as I would have like to, like the picture.
Read about Depth of Field: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
To me, the picture is sufficiently sharp at the center (the pattern of the pants is spot on). The face appears a bit soft, though. But without knowing the details (hint: missing exif data) we can only guess.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Would appreciate any form of help.
Thanks.

Please post an example of your work, so we know how to help you.

Please post an example of your work, so we know how to help you.

Hi, this is one of the shots I took

I remember focusing on the middle point, which was on the object. However, the background is not exactly "blurred" as I'd hv liked to.
Sometimes I feel that my pictures seem to be shot with a normal compact cam, instead of dslr quality..

Last edited:
if you have not gotten direct permission from image owner, do not leech the pic. dat is piracy.

Something to read: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/dx-dream-team.htm
You could also ask the guys in the Nikon equipment forum. I'm sure they'll have plenty of suggestions. What's your budget? What's your intended usage?

Read about Depth of Field: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm
To me, the picture is sufficiently sharp at the center (the pattern of the pants is spot on). The face appears a bit soft, though. But without knowing the details (hint: missing exif data) we can only guess.

Hi, thanks for the links, wld be sure to check them out!

I remember focusing on the middle point, which was on the object. However, the background is not exactly "blurred" as I'd hv liked to.
Sometimes I feel that my pictures seem to be shot with a normal compact cam, instead of dslr quality..

There you go. No need to buy lenses until you need it:

[vid]aAxJRF73vwc[/vid]

i40ifm.jpg

Using a DSLR doesn't mean you instantly get images you desire. May i ask what mode do you usually shoot in?

A fair amount of homework have to be done to know how to get the image you want, its not the camera's fault.

A fair amount of homework have to be done to know how to get the image you want, its not the camera's fault.
:thumbsup:
No camera can read the mind of the person behind the viewfinder. One has to understand how a camera works (technically, optically) and then setup accordingly to achieve the desired result.
If you shoot with a DSLR as you do with compact cam why should the results differ? :bsmilie:

Pro camera does not mean pro pictures. You need to know what you're doing.