Advice on lens upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

berryfiasco

Apr 4, 2008
East
Hi,

I'm very lost at this & so would need some advice.
I'm using a 400D with kit lens of 18-55mm IS.
I'm looking to sell of this lens & get a bigger lens that can cover basically the same focal length & distance.

What lens would you recommend? Want a lens to replace the 18-55mm IS.

Hi,

I'm looking to sell of this lens & get a bigger lens that can cover basically the same focal length & distance.

cover same focal length and distance? still consider upgrade? :dunno:

dun think there's a bigger version of 18-55 IS.

Perhaps you need to be clear of which aspects you're shooting, before upgrading?

Last edited:
If you want a bigger lens, than consider the 17-55 f2.8. It is "bigger" in size compared to your 18-55.

But seriously, it seems that you are going for the "camera look" rather than what you need to achieve what you want in a pic. Consider first what you need before you buy.

Dont fall for the BBB virus.

I think he's asking about a faster lens option.

EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Alternatively, there is the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

Do you need to upgrade?

Just to clarify, i'm looking for a faster lens, lens that is sharper.

I'm looking for a focal length that ranges from 17/18 upwards, to cover wide angle but at the same time giving me zoom coverage that doesn't exceeds 150, cause the shots won't be that sharp either or some other problems like vignetting or barrel distortion.

Should i stick with a canon made lens or look into other made; tamron or sigma?

I'm doing general shooting, still-life/buildings

Last edited:
well... if you're on a tight budget... the tamron 17-50 f2.8 seems to be a logical choice :thumbsup:

Let say i am going for shooting landscape and people more, what lenses out there can be recommanded?

Just to clarify, i'm looking for a faster lens, lens that is sharper.

I'm looking for a focal length that ranges from 17/18 upwards, to cover wide angle but at the same time giving me zoom coverage that doesn't exceeds 150, cause the shots won't be that sharp either or some other problems like vignetting or barrel distortion.

Should i stick with a canon made lens or look into other made; tamron or sigma?

I'm doing general shooting, still-life/buildings
can consider the following ??? an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 which has a very high IQ (but its kinda heavy) or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for half the price, if you're on a budget......:think:

And the EF 17-40 F4 L in between. Good value for money if u want an L lens :thumbsup:

And the EF 17-40 F4 L in between. Good value for money if u want an L lens :thumbsup:

can consider the following ??? an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 which has a very high IQ (but its kinda heavy) or a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for half the price, if you're on a budget......:think:

How does this 2 lens compare?
The canon 17-40 F4.0 L & the tamron 17-50 f2.8?

If the F-stop are fixed for both lenses, then does it mean that if i were to shoot at F8 or F11, the shots won't be sharp throughout. (that is if i can shoot at F8 & F11)

What about this few other lenses too?
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC

Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XI Di-II LD
Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD

If the F-stop are fixed for both lenses, then does it mean that if i were to shoot at F8 or F11, the shots won't be sharp throughout. (that is if i can shoot at F8 & F11)

I don't have either lens, so rather than repeat what I read to you, I'll enlighten what it means by fixed aperture.

It does not mean that the aperture cannot change from the value. It means that the maximum aperture remains fixed throughout its zoom range. This is much harder to achieve than an aperture that varies according to focal length.

For the 17-50, for example, the maximum aperture is f/2.8 whether it is wide (17mm) or zoomed in (50mm). With a 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, it starts off relatively large (f/3.5) at focal length of 18mm, then gets narrower and narrower until it is f/5.6 at 55mm (well, actuall before 55mm, but I'm not sure where the steps are).

Almost all lenses can vary their aperture between their maximum aperture and at least f/22. Some go smaller, but apertures that small is usually not as important as the maximum aperture.

Check out the stickies in this forum.

How does this 2 lens compare?
The canon 17-40 F4.0 L & the tamron 17-50 f2.8?

What about this few other lenses too?
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS
Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC

Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 XI Di-II LD
Tamron AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 Di-II LD

You're a bit confused by Aperture. Lennyl has already explained about the lens, but anyway remember that shooting at small aperture (F/11 and above) does not means a better and sharper picture. Differaction will take place after F/8 or F/11 and this will reduce image quality. Dont ask me why, just nature of physics :dunno:

well... if you're on a tight budget... the tamron 17-50 f2.8 seems to be a logical choice :thumbsup:

Is the Tamron usable for people like me who has shaky hands? I know it doesn't come with IS. How do you cope with non-IS lens to get a sharp picture?

Is the Tamron usable for people like me who has shaky hands? I know it doesn't come with IS. How do you cope with non-IS lens to get a sharp picture?

Drink less coffee, use tripod, use monopod, lean against wall or other support, tuck in your elbows, don't mash the shutter release, use faster shutter speed where possible.

I don't have a single IS lens, yet I am producing sharp pictures. Improve on your technique is all I can say.

How then is the difference betw tamron 17-50, sigma 18-70 & canon 18-125?

How then is the difference betw tamron 17-50, sigma 18-70 & canon 18-125?

Do a search? Research on photozone.de? Stop asking to be spoonfed?

Status
Not open for further replies.