advice on *istds

Status
Not open for further replies.

l_n_h

Feb 12, 2005
hello,

i am thinking of getting the pentax *istds. any feedback from current user? image quality? focusing speed? noise at iso3200?

l_n_h said:
hello,

i am thinking of getting the pentax *istds. any feedback from current user? image quality? focusing speed? noise at iso3200?

all are good enough.
Image quality, on par or better than most. file is larger than most.
AF will be faster on the D70. but this is fast enough.
usable 3200.

tiong78 said:
all are good enough.
Image quality, on par or better than most. file is larger than most.
AF will be faster on the D70. but this is fast enough.
usable 3200.

I agreed with tiong.. its a nice camera.. have great fun with this camera since December.. and took lots of shots.

Here is one of my and my friends' favourite
IMGP2704_copy.jpg

where will be a good place to get the *ist ds and lens for it? i went to cp today. they have the body but dun seem to have the lens that i wanted. my impression is that it is difficult to find pentax mount lens. that is kind of discouraging. i am worried about the support that i can get. any advice?

l_n_h said:
where will be a good place to get the *ist ds and lens for it? i went to cp today. they have the body but dun seem to have the lens that i wanted. my impression is that it is difficult to find pentax mount lens. that is kind of discouraging. i am worried about the support that i can get. any advice?

CP won't have much of the Pentax, you can try AP. As for Lense, just tell the shop what you want and indent from them.. it takes couples of weeks though. Another mean will be ebay, getting a Used unit. So far so good for me. :D

i have heard issues about some problem when using AA batteries. does any user have any experiences?

l_n_h said:
i have heard issues about some problem when using AA batteries. does any user have any experiences?

Depends on what kind of AA battery you're talking about. I find that the normal alkaline ones you find in the supermarket work in direct proportion to their selling price. :) Don't expect it to last very long at all.

The lithium AA's last quite abit longer, but in general (I think all *istDS owners will agree with me), treat AA batteries as a backup power source, not as your main source. You'll love it that your camera takes AA's when all your other power sources are gone, and you can just pop into any store nearby and get a bunch of AA's.

As your main power source, get either rechargable CRV3's, or the normal CRV3's. The latter lasts an incredibly long time (last me around a whole week of shooting when I was in HK).

There are a few wierd problems with using AA's that i've been experiencing though. Sometimes you have to repeatedly take out and reinsert the batteries into the compartment, powering the camera on and off, etc to have your camera start up. This is especially true when you're shooting in winter (in foreign countries of course :)).

i thought it is not advisable to use rechargable CRV3?

l_n_h said:
i thought it is not advisable to use rechargable CRV3?

so far so good using the rechargeable CRV3. have used them for 3 events, each more than 250 shots (still full bar after the entire events with full recharge). Although the measured volt when fully charge is about 3.4.

As for whether it can be used, there maybe a review by pentax soon
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=12769339

Status
Not open for further replies.