Advice on humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcompass10

Dec 29, 2009
South
helo world,
I understand that cameras should be kept inside dry boxes when not in use. But some camera vendors tell me the storage should be "dry but not too dry as it is not good for the camera".

Can someone advise on what is "dry enough"?
eg. what's the humidity per centage to aim for? 50% good enough? Or must be dry until 10% humidity?

This % figure probably affects how much silica gel I should place inside the box to absorb the moisture I guess.

Someone somewhere can offer some guidance?
:)

Do a simple search on here for "dry box humidity"

To put it short, ideal humidity level for camera and lenses 45-55%

This % figure probably affects how much silica gel I should place inside the box to absorb the moisture I guess.

Someone somewhere can offer some guidance?

A dry cabinet with a hygrometer might be easier to adjust than to titrate against silica gel, but yes as mentioned, the typical quoted ideal is 45-55%. Any drier u might affect mechanical lubricants and rubber aging and stuffs..

ryan

Thanks everyone for the precise advice. Finally I see some quantifiable figures to work with.
The current reading on the Hygrometer on top of my dry box reads 52%.

So I guess I am into the correct range with the current amount of silica gel (poured a handful onto a tiny bowl, pulled a vegetable seal wrap over the bowl, and poked some holes in it).

Too poor to buy a dry cabinet...:embrass:

Thanks everyone for the kind advice...

cw

Status
Not open for further replies.