Advice on hoya closeup+4 and Nikon 70-300

Status
Not open for further replies.

syler07

Oct 3, 2007
Hi Guys, anyone uses this setup before? Hoya closeup filter +4 and Nikon 70-300mm lens? What are the recommended settings to use? I tried Manual but i cant seem to get a clear lock on the subject with manual focus.

Hi Guys, anyone uses this setup before? Hoya closeup filter +4 and Nikon 70-300mm lens? What are the recommended settings to use? I tried Manual but i cant seem to get a clear lock on the subject with manual focus.

It should work. I have slapped close up filters on my 18-200 and 70-200 before. The depth of field will be thin, and the working distance will be very short. Did u try going closer to the subject ? ( by the way u will lose infinity focusing )

ryan

When you use manual focussing, you got to move the camera nearer or further away to get the focus.
There's no fix settings in macro photography. It depends on what you are shooting & what do you want to translate in your shoot. Min aperture used is f16. But you can also use f1.2 if your lens has it. The other thing is whether to bump up the ISO or use flash for the shot.
You have to experiment to find out. What kind of macro are you into? Look in the macro section & there you'll get a very good idea of macro photography. You can also read up the sticky on marco photography there ;)

Thanks guys for the advice, i was trying to shoot a hanging water droplet last night but i cant seem to get a clear view in the viewfinder. Wondering which part i'm doing wrong, i move forward backward, change the focus still blur, its like line for the optimal spot is thin.

Thanks guys for the advice, i was trying to shoot a hanging water droplet last night but i cant seem to get a clear view in the viewfinder. Wondering which part i'm doing wrong, i move forward backward, change the focus still blur, its like line for the optimal spot is thin.
Handheld or tripod? If handheld, could be unsteady hands, movement of the body, breathing problem. I don't mean you have that problem, I meant how you control your breathing while taking the shot. Could be a slight breeze that's moving the hanging droplet & could be your diopter.
Try practicing the focussing distance on an object on the table so that you can rest your elbow to support the camera. That will give you a rough idea on focussing by moving forward & backward ;)

i have 70-300VR and a +4 macro filter. tried it and my image came out is blur no matter how hard i focus, the image only got better when i stop down to F16 and above. but even with that the image is super duper soft.

IMO the 70-300 cannot accomodate the macro filter of +4. tried +1 before and it can work, with a ok image. min focusing distance drop from 1.5 to abt half. using +4 filter i only manage to half the min focusing dist from its normal dist and need to stop down to F16 or more.

i have 70-300VR and a +4 macro filter. tried it and my image came out is blur no matter how hard i focus, the image only got better when i stop down to F16 and above. but even with that the image is super duper soft.

IMO the 70-300 cannot accomodate the macro filter of +4. tried +1 before and it can work, with a ok image. min focusing distance drop from 1.5 to abt half. using +4 filter i only manage to half the min focusing dist from its normal dist and need to stop down to F16 or more.
The DOF gets thinner when the magnification goes up. That's why the lens have to stop down more to achieve a greater DOF

Status
Not open for further replies.