Advice on how to shoot silky dress

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
Hi,

When I use flash on people wearing silky/reflective dress, the E-TTL goes haywire. Also there are bands of overexposed lines where the dress folds.

Any idea what's the method of shooting such dress?

I'm currently using 550EX with ommi-bounce. Flash is a must use... I'm thinking there's something wrong with my flash technique.

Advice, please.

TIA

try diffusing ya flash abit with a diffuser or bouncing it off walls so that the light from ya flash doesnt directly hit the clothes..

try diffusing ya flash abit with a diffuser or bouncing it off walls so that the light from ya flash doesnt directly hit the clothes..

Tried liao... alread using ommi-bounce. Also tried bouncing off celling, however it underexposed, but then the exposure is ok, the symptom returns...haven't tried bouncing off walls tho.:think:

Will diffusing help? :think:

I would advice you to use bounce flash. If the image is underexposed you can always touch up using photoshop. Well, do not forget to take the photo in RAW mode..

is taking RAW and touching up the only solutions here?

May or May not be.. But one of the solution for sure. Finally one has to choose his own method which is of his convenience.

I also dun wan to do too much post processing.

Any other solutions?:think:

have you tried the different metering? but I do admit sliky surface is one toughie... meter off the bright, underexposed the dark, meter off the dark, overexpose the bright. Also is diffuser really that great?

have you tried the different metering? but I do admit sliky surface is one toughie... meter off the bright, underexposed the dark, meter off the dark, overexpose the bright. Also is diffuser really that great?

The ^%$#&* thing about canon flash system is that it's unpredictable for such subject. :(

Dunnoe about diffuser..already using ommi-bounce... how much must I diffuse?:dunno:

how about trying manual mode for both flash and camera... u take control rather than let ur camera/flash decide.

If confirmed, Tuesday you'll understand... hahaha. Why you tink I'm asking. :)

I dun think you'll get good results using just a diffuser. Minimum a softbox or at least multiple lighting setup/reflector.

No softbox, however I can command up to 3 speedlite flashes... enuf?

Hi,

When I use flash on people wearing silky/reflective dress, the E-TTL goes haywire. Also there are bands of overexposed lines where the dress folds.

Any idea what's the method of shooting such dress?

I'm currently using 550EX with ommi-bounce. Flash is a must use... I'm thinking there's something wrong with my flash technique.

Advice, please.

TIA

Are you getting moire interference patterns from the silk dress? This could explain the bands of overexposed lines at the folds. Try using a polarised filter to cut down on this.

Are you getting moire interference patterns from the silk dress? This could explain the bands of overexposed lines at the folds. Try using a polarised filter to cut down on this.

Not really moire inteference. Something like shooting sea/water... the wave crest is bright while the trough is dark.

use spot metering and bounce flash.

Is da flash fully recycled b4 firing again?

Status
Not open for further replies.