Advice on getting another lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

castor

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
Hi:

I would like to seek advice from the experts here. I am a Canon EOS66 user and I have been using the lens (35-80mm) that comes with it so far. I feel that it is time I acquire another lens and would like to hear some good advice.

May I know is the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM a good choice? I identify my needs as 2 areas : to take far away subjects and also to take close-up shots. I am thinking of getting this lens for the zooming capability and perhaps I would get myself an extension tube +closeup filer for the macro interests.

As my budget is rather tight (ard S$500), I hope such a configuration is feasible and as I advance (both in skills and $$$) then perhaps I would consider other additional lens.

Also, should I consider Sigma / Tamron /Tokina lens as well as I heard that if budget allow, then it is better to go for the original lens by Canon.

Please kindly advise. Thank you in advance.

Get the Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 Super TeleMacro ... $370++:thumbsup:

This may be a bit OT, but I used to start with the same 35-80mm lens like you. However, I sold that off and got a 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 lens instead and the jump in image quality is phenomenal. Maybe my 35-80 lens was a crap copy. That I'll never know coz I never compared to another, but I believe budget kit lenses are never meant to be good, especially that 35-80. I'd go as far as to say, that lens is probably the worst lens in the Canon lineup! Anyway, once you got your 70-200/75-300 class zoom , and if you ever want to upgrade again, you might want to think about replacing the 35-80mm lens. A used 28-105 goes for around $300 I think. The 28-135 IS and 24-85 are also good alternatives.

I do agree with eos somewhat abou the kit lenses. They are the most basic but also very affordable to allow new comers take on the exciting world of photography. If you send your processing to a reliable lab, know good photography methods and don't do huge enlargements, I find it hard to define "crap lens". Of cos, common sense dictates you pay more, you get better quality.

As your skills improve, you might certainly want to upgrade your 35-80mm also. But as of now, if you want to explore a bit on the telephoto side, yah, the Canon 75-300mm is worth considering.

If you can afford it, it's always good to use Canon lenses as most of them give you quiet focusing and USM feature. You won't have compatibility issues where the body might reject the lenses. Also build quality tends to be better than other 3rd party lenses.

For higher end lenses (the very expensive ones used by pros!), Canon leads in front of any Sigma or Tamron you can think of in terms of image quality and built. But in your case, this probably matters little now. You can consider 3rd party lenses if they are more comfortable in your budget.

Hmm.... well, the 75-300mm USM is definitely a good lens. Though not as sharp as the L series, the sharpness is above average for general use. It remains one of my most used lens despite having a 70-200mm IS simply because it's light and easy to use.
Though the setback is definitely its minimum focusing distance which can go up to 1.6m at 300m.

But my recommendation is to consider getting the 28-105, it will suitably improve the optical quality as well as giving your a wider range of angles.

If you are thinking of doing close-ups, there are alternative lens offered by sigma and tamron, for example, the tamron's 28-300 super macro. It's not true marco, and the optics are definitely poorer then Canon's, but it will let you shoot a wide range of subjects.

I was stuck on a Tamron 28-200 for 5 years before I had the money to advance to more expensive equipment. :p
It served me well, and now resting in retirement.

I do agree with eos somewhat abou the kit lenses.

I have not tried the 35-80 to comment on but I have used the 28-80 and 28-90 consumer lens. I will say that the 28-90mm is crap but I will defend my 28-80 because it gave me pretty good pictures. My point is most people only tried the 28-90mm and pass comments but do try the 28-80 it is a pretty good lens IMO.

The 75-300 III (non USM) is actually pretty good value. It's the first lens I bought to go with my D30, and has given me pretty good and sharp pictures, especially in bright sunlight. It's almost as fast as the USM version.

The best thing is you can probably pick up a used one for about $150. It's also great for macros when combined with some cheap extension tubes, since you'll be using it greatly stopped down to increase the DOF.

I highly recommend it, and no, I'm not selling mine.

Here's a shot taken by this lens. Pretty sharp, huh?

00004456.JPG

And here's a macro taken with this lens combined with extension tubes, 2X teleconverter and 50mm lens reversed):

ant01.jpg

Hi All:

Thanks for the fabulous reply. I am thinking of getting the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Telezoom, but there are 2 similar products, namely

Sigma Telezoom 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Zoom Macro Super
Sigma Telezoom 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro Super

May I know which is a better choice? Thank you.

Beware as I warn you, my Sigma 70-300mm DL has lost its AF just after its 3 years service. This lens(bought on year 1999) is also not compatible with Eos 30 or newer Canon Body. However, I'm now using it as marco lens for my EOS 300 and dispite having no AF, the lens is very easy to MF and it produce very SHARP marco pictures on slides.

With its dedicate close up lens, its can go down to 1:1 with no lost in quality :bsmilie:

I would suggest you getting a used EF 75-300mm for telephoto or EF100mm it you're serious in marco :p

I'd say go with the Canon as it won't have compatibility problems with futuer camera body upgrades. The 75-300USM shld give more than decent results (L lens snobs please stay out of this thread). i used it it Australia 2 years back and gave me pretty usable shots. have since sold it though! ;) Also, the IS version may be worth considering if you can spot a used one....

some guys have reccommended the 28-105, never used it but heard its a good lens. anyway, if your budget permits in future, consider the 28-135 IS, brought only 1 lens and one body to cambodia last year and never regretted it!:gbounce: :gbounce:

Actually how come nobody is recommending the Tamron 70-300mm LD? I've heard it has the same optical formula as the Nikkor 70-300mm ED...which means you're getting Nikkor (okok...NEAR nikkor as some purist might put it) Quality glass for the price of a 3rd party!

I m using a Tamron 70-300mm LD(Nikon mount) right now and had also try out a friend's Nikkor 70-300mm ED during a photo shoot,took a subject with the two lenses.And we can't tell which slides is from which lens under a 10X loupe.
But the down side of the Tamron 70-300mm LD is that the build is rather plastic which feel cheap,zoom creep is a problem too.
Had been using it for more than a year now and still producing decent photo.
A good buy for under $300:thumbsup:

Hi:

If the Tamron lens is below S$300, then I may consider getting it (really tight on budget). :)

Also, would like to find out from you all what adpater must we get to reverse a lens to use it as a macro lens? Any specific brands of adpaters and if possible the rough cost. Can I use my 30-80mm lens in this manner? How about the extension ring? Any recommendations?

Thank you very very much for the replies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.