Advice on first camera to get this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadAnt

Jan 28, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi there people!!
Was recommended to post here for help!

Need your advice on digital camera I will be buying this weekend!

I need a digital camera by this weekend as it would be used for the upcoming Chinese New Year trip.

I am a SLR user and know NUTS about digital camera...

Currently, the Canon S30 looks pretty good..
Was recommended the Oly C700 and Fuji
How about similar cameras from Fuji, Kodak, Nikon, Minolta etc.?
Any comments?

My usuage ( In order or importance )
- A family general purpose camera. So best if it is compact and user friendly.
-Able to view on TV(?)
- Only wish to print up to 8R at the most. Even then only a few(?).
- Able to take Night shoot. ( Heard that digital camera tends to have trouble taking them? )
Buget can be up to $1000 and above..
Hopefully not over $1200..

All advices are welcome!
Do recommend a few shops I could visit and do give me a rough price guide.

And yes, please, any advice on the memory formats too. ( Flash Card? Smart Media?? Darn I know nothing!! )
Does the IBM Microdrives work well??
Sounds pretty good with the large capacity!

Thanks!!
Anthony

P.S : I am currently using a minolta SLR system if it matters

I think the best bet would be Olympus 2100. A number of people on this forum has it.

If you want something for the whole family to use, consider the Fuji2800z. Very easy to use.

Olympus C2100 is good but a bit bulky. Fujifilm 2800 produces great pictures and is cheap but it doesn't take night shots well.

Olympus C700UZ would be a good choice if you want a large zoom compact camera.

Originally posted by copland
I think the best bet would be Olympus 2100. A number of people on this forum has it.

If you want something for the whole family to use, consider the Fuji2800z. Very easy to use.

Copland's recommenedations are both very good and u can't go wrong with either...unless u want something that's more than 2.1 MegaPixels and uses other storage media like Compact Flash, instead of the Smart Media card.

The Fujifilm FinePix 2800 Zoom is purely a fully-auto, point-n-shoot DC with very limited manual controls i.e. weak nite shots capability due to the min. 1/2 sec shutter, but the picture quality and big 6x optical zoom (228mm) are more than enough to make up for its shortcoming. Abt $650.

Another good Fujifilm DC is the FinePix 2600 Zoom, 2.1MP, fully-auto, point-n-shoot, 3x optical zoom (105mm), costs abt $500.

As for the C-2100UZ (SLR-like), u may also want to consider its more compact little brother, the C-700UZ. Both have full auto + manual controls and 10x optical zoom (380mm), except that the C-2100UZ is using a Canon Image Stabilisation system for its lens. Abt $900 for C-700UZ and $950 for C-2100UZ.

Note all the above use Eletronic Viewfinder (EVF) which offer a TTL view for accurate framing, except for the Fujifilm FP2600z, which uses a more conventional optical viewfinder commonly found in point-n-shot cameras.

Other choices u might want to consider are the Olympus C-4040z and Canon G2.

:)

Olympus C4040 and Canon G2 would exceed the budget though.

There's another popular camera now, the Olympus C2040 which costs $750. It has 2.1MP and has a fast lens, good for available light phototaking.

Thanks for your replies!

As for the number of pixels, would a 2.1MP be suffice to produce a good quailty 8X10??
WOuld the difference between 2MP, 3MP and 4MP be worth the price difference?
( Given everything else is equal in terms of features etc.? )

Also, I am quite concern about the storage media..
Quite a lot of your recommendations uses Smart Media.
I was thinking of using something like the IBM Microdrives or large capacity CF cards so as to save the hassle of thinking about amount of storage space when shooting..
Esp. when my parents will be using it for a 10 days holiday without me around!
THe max space on a smart media will be 128MB??

Frankly, as I like to fiddle/experiment around with the aperture and shutter speed, I would prefer one with manual control... yet compact and easy to use for the non-technies.. ( Non-SLR interface -> Compact, with SLR features.. )

So that leaves me with

- Oly C700UZ ( $900 )
- Oly C4040Z (?)
- Oly C2040Z
- Canon G2 (?)
- Anymore?

I realise I am asking for quite a lot ( Good Night shot etc. ) that's why I am willing to fork out more for one that will be good down the road...
Of course I wouldn't want to pay a premium for only a slight increase in features or so... unless it is worth it :D

Thanks for your help guys!

Smart media is more expensive(by only a little) and also the max. you can get is 128MB Smartmedia.

Compact Flash is cheaper, but larger, and it can go up to 512MB/card, heard that they are releasing 1GB compact flash card.

you could consider some older models which can use the IBM Microdrive too, like the Canon G1, Casio QV3500EX, Casio QV2900UX (what I'm using).

do check out the reviews at www.dpreview.com and www.imaging-resource.com amongst others.

also bear in mind that for a 10 day trip, you would likely need to get spare batteries and possibly even bring the charger along. I don't think any digital camera could survive a 10 day trip with just one set of batteries. Some cameras uses proprietary lithium batteries which could last long but are expensive to get.

Originally posted by MadAnt

My usuage ( In order or importance )
- A family general purpose camera. So best if it is compact and user friendly.
-Able to view on TV(?)
- Only wish to print up to 8R at the most. Even then only a few(?).
- Able to take Night shoot. ( Heard that digital camera tends to have trouble taking them? )
Buget can be up to $1000 and above..
Hopefully not over $1200..

According to your needs.

A point and shoot camera will suit you as not everyone in the family knows abt manual cotrol. Weight is impt too if kids need to handle them

To print up to 8R, prefer to have at least 2Mp camera.

Abt this nite shot thingy, it refer to nite shot on object only. If you are taking human pic with flash, dun think there is any problem... but the background will not be clear(if it is dim)

$1000 can buy you a most of the brand of DC. But if it is too expensive, you wouldn't wanna trust a kid to use it, rite? :)

For storage, Sony MS is the most expensive per Meg. CF and SM is abt the same in term of cost per Meg.

I think a lot of model will suit you. Some camera is having promotion now with free gift.

I would recomend Canon A20, S20, Nikon 775, Olympus C-200Z, C-2, FujiFilm FinePix 2400Z, 2600Z, Toshiba PDR-M25

Originally posted by MadAnt

- Oly C700UZ ( $900 )
- Oly C4040Z (?)
- Oly C2040Z
- Canon G2 (?)
- Anymore?

Hi Madant... told you to come over to this forum and get more feedback rite? 8)

Trying to recall the priecs of the cameras here... so others feel free to correct me
ok C2040 is about $750 from John 3:16@ Funan
G2 is 1250...
wont get 4040 since it is modelled upon the 2040 and 3040 but with 4 megpix (if you want this might as well get G2)

i think the main question is above or below 1k and just as you wanna a camera that can do everything, will you be doing everything with it? If just family outing dont spend more than 1k, you can always upgrade to something that suits your personal need later. If there comes a time when you feel shortchange think of the joy the camera has bought the whole family (especially the kids) with them playing with it. In this way, easy access makes the shortcoming easily forgotten... 8)

probably might wanna check the build of the camera and avoid those that do not feel too solid...

Don't forget the C-2100UZ or the C-3040Z. The 3040 just went out of production but you may still be able to get it if you are lucky.

What about Minolta's S304? Point and shoot style with automatic and plenty of manual control. But i'm not familiar with it, or know the price. Someone here has it I think.

Wow!
Thanks for all the advice!

The youngest child in my family is me :D

Rather, the camera will be handled by my dad and me.
The rest of my family are afraid of handling electronics! ( Unless forced too )

If 2MB pixels are enough for 8R that means the image will be 150dpi??
Mmm.. I usually print at 300dpi :p ( I do have a negetive scanner... )

If 2MB is enough maybe I can check out other compacts that uses CF card and AA size Batteries...

After reconsideration
- Minolta S304
- Canon S30
- Casio QV-3500EX ( AA size Battery.. a plus )
- Canon S20 ( Diff between S30?? )
- Casio QV 4000 ( AA SIze Batt! )
- Canon G1
- Casio QV 2900UX ( Great shoots you have there mpenza!! ) ( AA size Batt! )

Fuji camera seems to be using Smartmedia.. I would prefer CF cards....

Am I too rash to just write off Smartmedia?

Hi MadAnt,

I think since you have used an SLR before, a better DC might be what you need as I would believe your expectation from the DC will be higher :)

G2 is a good candidate and it takes great pictures (nice and vivid color, good noise reduction algorithm for cleaner night shots), if you can live with it short zoom range of 35-105mm eq. It's only slightly higher then your budget of $1.2k (as sebastiansong mentioned, its around $1250-$1300). Battery can be cheap if you get the 3rd party ones (~$45). The only thing that would blow your budget would be the larger capacity CF or microdrive... (256MB RiData ~$210, microdrive not very sure, 340MB is $300+ I think?).

Ok, after all these selling of G2, you should know what DC I am using. :bsmilie:

If you don't mind G2's limited 3x zoom capability, I'd recommend G2 as well.

You should know what camera I'm using as well. :bsmilie:

don't pay more than $195 for 256MB RiData 20x CF at Alan Photo. If they asked, you said a friend recommended you. And look for Steven :)

Or you could get a NCP 256MB CF for $185 at Vox.

Originally posted by ziploc
Hi MadAnt,

I think since you have used an SLR before, a better DC might be what you need as I would believe your expectation from the DC will be higher :)

G2 is a good candidate and it takes great pictures (nice and vivid color, good noise reduction algorithm for cleaner night shots), if you can live with it short zoom range of 35-105mm eq. It's only slightly higher then your budget of $1.2k (as sebastiansong mentioned, its around $1250-$1300). Battery can be cheap if you get the 3rd party ones (~$45). The only thing that would blow your budget would be the larger capacity CF or microdrive... (256MB RiData ~$210, microdrive not very sure, 340MB is $300+ I think?).

Ok, after all these selling of G2, you should know what DC I am using. :bsmilie:

Ziploc, do you have any idea what's the cost of a G1 now?

Originally posted by fusetrips

Ziploc, do you have any idea what's the cost of a G1 now?

Erm, sorry I do not know cos I bought my so many months ago. Only heard that the recent price is below 1.3k. :)

Mmm... I realise I am spoiled by my SLR :D

Guess I would go with Canon G2...
At most I will skip my fast food for the week for the next few months :p

Here is the equote I got from Cathay..
1) Canon G2 @ S$1,240.00 *
2) Canon S40 @ S$1,120.00 *
3) Canon S30 @ S$1,020.00 *

* free with purchase ( while offer/stock last )
- 64MB compact flash card
gift to redeem from Canon Customer Care Centre

5) IBM Microdrives
a) 340 MB @ S$280.00
b) 1 GB @ S$530.00

Date : 29 Jan. 2002
Validity of Quote ; 2 weeks

With GST, G2 would go up to $1277.20
Microdrive @ $546

WIth Microdrive it would be slower right?

Any other better suggestions??
WOuld Alan Photo offer better price ( along with the Microdrive )??
Is it true some shops would waive the GST if I pay cash??

Sigh.. will miss my mushroom swiss double.......

Hi MadAnt,

You can get an eQuote from AP at their website too. If you can't wait that long for their reply then the best would be to give them a call or go down to SLS to have a look. Remember to ask for Steven if you are going to AP, and make sure you have the prices for all items you need from people here before going down. Happy hunting ;)

Oh and the microdrive. Nope it won't be slow, see this media comparison chart on dpreview.

Status
Not open for further replies.