Advice on Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Scarecrow

Feb 21, 2009
Hey all,

I would like to have my own website so that I can upload my pics and potential clients can have a look at my work.

I am thinking of getting a webpage through a domain. Sorry, I am not an IT expert. Is there anyone out there who can recommend a good domain where I can purchase the webpage?

Look forward to hear from you!

Cheers!

neither am i but hostmonster.com gives you unlimited storage and i got mine from there. you might want to read abit on the bandwidth etc etc before settling on your choice.

some web hosting offers .sg or .com.sg which will make your website more 'localised' and credible if that's what you might want. :)

neither am i but hostmonster.com gives you unlimited storage and i got mine from there. you might want to read abit on the bandwidth etc etc before settling on your choice.

some web hosting offers .sg or .com.sg which will make your website more 'localised' and credible if that's what you might want. :)
IIRC, domain name with sg cost a little bit more.

i am a webhost myself previously. but my advise is to go for local webhost, so in the event anything happens, response time is faster.

pls dun believe in gimmicks such as unlimited bandwidth (or unlimited webspace), it never exists, its just that they don't cap you on any amount of bandwidth (each server got a limited harddisk space). But should your site is so popular and eats up too much of their bandwidth, they can still suspend your account.

below are some reputable webhosting companies that had exists for quite sometime.

http://www.iwi.com.sg
http://www.readyspace.com.sg

they are based in singapore with a local phone line for you to call their support.

and yes, if u wish to register a .com.sg (you need to have a registered business with ACRA), or .sg (you need not have a registered business), it cost about $40-50sgd per year.

try register a .com, .net domain for a fraction of the cost (eg, www.namecheap.com)

Hey all,

I would like to have my own website so that I can upload my pics and potential clients can have a look at my work.

I am thinking of getting a webpage through a domain. Sorry, I am not an IT expert. Is there anyone out there who can recommend a good domain where I can purchase the webpage?

Look forward to hear from you!

Cheers!
you need to find a webhost, sign up a plan with them, they will help you to register your own domain.

some people claim is better to make your domain name portable, however, this will cost a little bit more money. so it is your decision here.

most of the plan/webhost you sign up, there is a fantastico, which you can install lots of scripts in your site, so you can DIY crate and maintenance your own site.

you may check out my site, I have zero knowledge and have to start from ground zero, and the works in progress is never ending.

hope this help.

some people claim is better to make your domain name portable, however, this will cost a little bit more money. so it is your decision here.

my advise is to register the domain name separately from the webhost. This way, if u decided to change webhost, your domain will not be locked down by your old webhost, some webhost can make u pay a token to move out from their service.

its very easy to point your domain name to the particular webhost dns easily, these domain registras have control panels that allow you to DIY.

I'm a webhost myself currently. Contact me for packages. I do not provide domain names though. You can register domain names at godaddy.com

a last way, register a blog, and then use a domain .

i believe most domainhost has wordpress as one of the default blogs...

i do have mmy own domain and uses wordpress

Actually, setting up Wordpress is very easy. I'm using Limebox web host which do have very cheap Singapore web hosting.

This means that your website will load much faster as the server is based in Singapore. If your target audience is in Asia, this will be good. Uploading speed is also very fast for Singapore based servers.

I believe they can help you set up Wordpress and do all the necessary stuff to get it up and running. I've seen many professional photographers with Wordpress blogs. Just get templates which cater to photoblogs. It can show your photos well. :)

For domains, I recommend getting from other places, because the rates are cheaper than Singapore domain registrars. GoDaddy is good.

I'm currently on namecheap.

So far so good. Easy user-interface. :)

I'm currently on namecheap.

So far so good. Easy user-interface. :)

agreed. the DNS controls they give you are brilliant. I have 2 domains with them.

by the way, first time register can get 1 USD off. Search for coupons on google

hi.. im not an IT expert but i've been searching the net for months about how to get my own free domain.. there are absolutely no free domains out there that is why you have no choice but to pay but the good thing is that these domains that are being offered aren't that expensive.. they are really cheap..and you're going to pay per year..
photocamel2.gif

also i'd like to inform you that there are companies out there that are offering domains and then it's going to be free for a year then after a year you'll have to start paying them for a very low price.. :)

if you're just starting to have your own url then why don't you start creating your blog from wordpress or blogspot.. most people are actually creating blogs instead of real domains since blogs are for free.. :)

if you needed a domain then you can just search in google and type in "free web domains" or "free web hosting" if you already have your own domain.. :)

there are free domains to be honest- mostly for fansites

i was hosted under hollywood.com once upon a time and they gave me the domain kclarkson.org to use.
then now my host gave me the domain www.ukellyclarkson.com

lol so just saying there is an avenue for free stuffs just need to earn it.I use http://savvyehosting.com/ for my photoblog now tho

Really depends on what you need.

Personally, I would go for either a jalbum or gallery solution on my own domain/host.

PM me if you need your own domain or host.

there are so many web hosting trials out there you just need to search them on the net.. there are a month to one year free trial then right after you can choose to stop or continue using your website...
ando.gif
if you do then you're going to start purchasing..

i recommend www.bluehost.com
one of the top partners for wordpress
cheap price, transfer speeds are fast and storage space is unlimited

hi dude, here i can assist u, because my friend suggest me this website i tried out nice that is why i suggest u this because here can renew, create a domain as we like(name),etc..just try it and i have a hope that u would get all required stuff frm here...bye
http://www.tucktail.com/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.