advice on comp system to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

centuryegg

Aug 16, 2005
Dear All, i just got my bonus and am thinking of getting myself a much needed computer.

My budget is below 2k. The cheaper the better, no choice times are bad and I need to save. My needs are are basic word processing, photoshop to edit my photos and if possible to do some aftereffects. Im now torn between a Desktop or a Laptop. Any suggestions? I saw the Dell Inspiron 6000. Anyone using that? Any comments?

An iBook would cost arund $2K... able to do all stated plus you also get the "COOL" factor.

"Here, let me show you your shots on my iBook here.... yes its an Apple... all creative folks uses Apple, its a cult thing...":bsmilie:

*runs away*

centuryegg said:
Dear All, i just got my bonus and am thinking of getting myself a much needed computer.

My budget is below 2k. The cheaper the better, no choice times are bad and I need to save. My needs are are basic word processing, photoshop to edit my photos and if possible to do some aftereffects. Im now torn between a Desktop or a Laptop. Any suggestions? I saw the Dell Inspiron 6000. Anyone using that? Any comments?

$2k for a comp or laptop is not an issue, it is just what kind of comp or laptop you get.

First, think about how often will you carry your laptop/notebook outdoor. If not often, then a desktop will be a better choice.

And if you decide to get a desktop, I suggest you DIY it, with $2k, you can build a good one for basic word processing, photoshop editing, aftereffects and video editing too.

AMD Athlon™ 64 is good and price is okay to. Unless you are a Intel supporter.

I checked for 2k, the Ibook that I can get is pathetic in terms of performance. Its for basic usage and try doing aftereffects and you can fall asleep on it.... Its more for looking good which I dont need. Although my budget is 2k but as I said its the max means if I can get something for 1k to 1.5K that would be fantastic.

centuryegg said:
I checked for 2k, the Ibook that I can get is pathetic in terms of performance. Its for basic usage and try doing aftereffects and you can fall asleep on it.... Its more for looking good which I dont need. Although my budget is 2k but as I said its the max means if I can get something for 1k to 1.5K that would be fantastic.

Hmm... in that case, go for a dual core processor type of desktop. You can't beat that for raw processing power under $2K. Either custom build one or get the dell dual core PCs which comes with 17" lcds...
;p

Dell Dimension 9100?

Read about the offer in office,

Intel Pentiom D 3.0Ghz
1GB DDR2 @533Mhz
17" LCD
160gb SATA
256 MB nVidia Geforce 6800

Price after savings : $1799

;p

It's above my budget tho, and some of the parts are not of my choice, else I'll get 1 too.

For <$2000, depending on brand, one can get a laptop with 14" LCD, 1.6Ghz PentiumM, 512MB DDR, 40~60GB harddisk, Combo drive. Integrated graphics though but for most intents and purposes, this will be fast enough.

Alternatively,

Pentium 4 3.2Ghz, 2MB cache
512 MB DDR2 @ 533Mhz
17" LCD
80GB SATA
12m ATI Radeon X300se

Price after saving : $1399

tao said:
For <$2000, depending on brand, one can get a laptop with 14" LCD, 1.6Ghz PentiumM, 512MB DDR, 40~60GB harddisk, Combo drive. Integrated graphics though but for most intents and purposes, this will be fast enough.

* togu pop in again,

Intel Centrino 1.7Ghz, 2MB L2
80GB UATA
256 SHared DDR
15" XGA TFT
DVD Burner
Intel Extreme Graphic

Price After saving : $1549

Kakkaka, can't help it, I'm holding the brochure now. Valid till 9 Sept.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.