Advice on a super zoom len for D7000 for travelling?

Anthony198

May 15, 2018
I am thinking of buying Nikon 18- 300mm for my Nikon D7000 which comes with 18 to 105mm and a 55 to 200mm. It is bulky and heavy to travel with these 2 lenses. What is your advice and where is good place to buy ? Buy online ? AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300MM F/3.5-6.3G ED VR on Amazon is US$500 plus but on Nikon Singapore Website is $1069 . 2nd hand comes with warranty ? Is AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300MM F/3.5-6.3G ED VR compatible with the D7000 ? Thanks

18-200 VR2
16-85/VR
16-80/2.8-4/VR

I would go for the 16mm at the wide end (24mm FF equivalent) - more useful than telephoto range...

Reactions: Anthony198
18-200 VR2
16-85/VR
16-80/2.8-4/VR

I would go for the 16mm at the wide end (24mm FF equivalent) - more useful than telephoto range...
Thanks but I need to use telephoto for travelling . :)

The 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 should be compatible with D7000. You can check out the usual camera shops (eg Cathay Photo, TK Foto, SLR Revolution, MS Color etc) for the shop price which is usually lower than the recommended retail price as shown on the official Nikon website. You can also check out the Personal Classified section here for 2nd hand deals, though I don't remember seeing one recently

You can also consider 3rd party options like the Sigma 18-200mm C, Tamron 16-300mm or Tamron 18-400mm, they either offer better image quality for the former according to reviews, or more range for the latter 2, usually at the lower price.

Happy shopping

i think you need to ask yourself what you will be shooting at the 200mm to 300mm range to warrant buying this lens. the two lenses, 18-105 and 55-200 is more than sufficient for most coverage. a decent wide angle with wide aperture will be useful in markets and low light places.

i went light as we will be walking quite a bit on a japan trip of about eight days using only one lens, 18-105. i brought along a 35f2 but didn't use it at all. oh, i also brought along a +4 closeup filter and used it extensively for food shots.

The 18-300mm f3.5-6.3 should be compatible with D7000. You can check out the usual camera shops (eg Cathay Photo, TK Foto, SLR Revolution, MS Color etc) for the shop price which is usually lower than the recommended retail price as shown on the official Nikon website. You can also check out the Personal Classified section here for 2nd hand deals, though I don't remember seeing one recently

You can also consider 3rd party options like the Sigma 18-200mm C, Tamron 16-300mm or Tamron 18-400mm, they either offer better image quality for the former according to reviews, or more range for the latter 2, usually at the lower price.

Happy shopping
Thanks a lot. Wondering is there any len promotion during the IT Fairs? As for the Personal Classified section resale len is there any company eg Nikon that do an independent testing of the resale set as I am a newbie to know the quality of the resale set without warranty ?

i think you need to ask yourself what you will be shooting at the 200mm to 300mm range to warrant buying this lens. the two lenses, 18-105 and 55-200 is more than sufficient for most coverage. a decent wide angle with wide aperture will be useful in markets and low light places.

i went light as we will be walking quite a bit on a japan trip of about eight days using only one lens, 18-105. i brought along a 35f2 but didn't use it at all. oh, i also brought along a +4 closeup filter and used it extensively for food shots.
Thanks I will be shooting wide angle for landscape scenery and also wild life and far away architecture and mountains. Just want to travel light with 1 versatile le.n

Thanks a lot. Wondering is there any len promotion during the IT Fairs? As for the Personal Classified section resale len is there any company eg Nikon that do an independent testing of the resale set as I am a newbie to know the quality of the resale set without warranty ?

Unlikely to have lens promotion during IT Fairs, as camera manufacturers usually promote their camera body + lens deals, there may be exceptions but not common as far as I remember.

The official Nikon Service Centre should be able to help check Nikon lenses, however unlikely 2nd hand sellers will be willing to bring to Service Centre nor foot the bill. Better to get a knowledgeable friend to check 2nd hand, or just buy from the shops 1st hand. Call / email / facebook message the usual shops for a quote to do a comparison beforehand to get a better idea.