Advice on a new camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinker

Dec 31, 2004
Don't Tell You...
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a new digital camera; it will be my 1st digital camera evar.
Thinking of getting a DSLR/ proconsumer camera. Considerations:

1) Main reason is to shoot my newborn child. Current digital camera (borrowed) suffers from too much lag between trigger and actual shoot.
2) Budget's around S$1,000.00
3) Prefer Canon or Nikon.

Any input/ guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Sinker

You'll need a DSLR then to avoid the shutter lag. The Nikon D40x shoudl be able to fit your budget or you can try getting a 2nd hand D100 or D70s from the BnS section here.

i would say perhaps u try pns?

Strongly suggest dSLR.

Sharing similar sentiment as Galdor. If you can stretch your budget, D80 will be so much better than D40/X. Armed with a 50mm 1.8, you'll definitely capture great moments.

You wont have a 2nd chance to shoot your child's growing years. So, dont miss these tender moments.

thanks guys!
so far, it's either the D80 or the D40x huh?
really newbee qns here but can they subsequently be outfitted with a 1) AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D or a 2) AF Micro 105mm f/2.8D (not to shoot babies but shoot critters). The 50mm 1.8 lens recommended by ryuggen would be ?

If just for taking family pictures, asssume you will most likely not be expanding your equipment other than maybe one or 2 lens.. Then, you may want to look for a good bargain used DSLR under the buy and sell sub forum in clubsnap... will definately be able to get a better spec DSLR than D40x...

Just to qualify that this is just my own opnion for TS..

Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a new digital camera; it will be my 1st digital camera evar.
Thinking of getting a DSLR/ proconsumer camera. Considerations:

1) Main reason is to shoot my newborn child. Current digital camera (borrowed) suffers from too much lag between trigger and actual shoot.
2) Budget's around S$1,000.00
3) Prefer Canon or Nikon.

Any input/ guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Sinker

Budget $1,000 - avoid DSLR for now.
Try a Fuji film low light digicam, can shoot video somemore of your child.

thanks guys!
so far, it's either the D80 or the D40x huh?
really newbee qns here but can they subsequently be outfitted with a 1) AF Micro 60mm f/2.8D or a 2) AF Micro 105mm f/2.8D (not to shoot babies but shoot critters). The 50mm 1.8 lens recommended by ryuggen would be ?

Not exactly. Since your budget is $1K, we will work around there & you have stated that you prefer a Nikon or Canon hence, the recommendation. Otherwise, i would suggest you try a 2nd hand Sony A100, Olympus E500 or Pentax K100D too. For the price, you can get them with a kit lens already. Do check the BnS section and you can see some very good deal already.

thanks guys for the advice... time to start haunting the b&s section!

get a second hand D80 kit and u can fly .. its kinda good enough for u to start with .. LOL .. seriously ..

Status
Not open for further replies.